OFFNY's Original Big Ten from 2009

OFFNY

o

A few years ago, I had a list of 10 starting pitching prospects that were playing in the Orioles' minor league system at the level of at least Advanced-A or higher that were highly (or at least fairly highly) touted at that time. Some of them are still with the team, some have been traded, and some are still in our minor league system.

My feeling at that time was that the numbers alone were in our favor. I thought that out of those 10 pitchers that were high-level (or at least fairly high-level) prospects, we should be able to get at least 3 or 4 starting pitchers that would have pretty good (or better) major league careers. I wasn't sure which of the 3 or 4 would make it and live up to those expectations, because sometimes the "can't miss" prospects miss, and sometimes the "middle-tier" prospects surprise and pitch like that of the "can't miss" prospects. And of course, sometimes they bomb out. :o

Anyway, it's a few years later, so I figured that I would throw the topic of where these players are now, and where they might be in 2013 and beyond out there for discussion. ) :)

OFFNY's 2009 Big Ten

11) ) Brad Bergesen

12) Jason Berken

13) Chris Tillman

14) David Hernandez ........ These were the 4 "AA Boys" at that time that anchored an excellent staff at AA-Bowie the previous season (2008.) Between the 4 of them, they racked up 48 wins and 5 complete games with 3 shutouts in the 5-month season that year.

15) Brandon Erbe

16) Chorye Spoone

17) Brian Matusz

18] Jake Arrieta

19) Zach Britton

10) Troy Patton

o

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago, I had a list of 10 starting pitching prospects that were playing in the Orioles' minor league system at the level of at least Advanced-A or higher that were either highly (or at least fairly highly) touted at that time. Some of them are still with the team, some have been traded, and some are still in our minor league system.

My feeling at that time was that the numbers alone were in our favor. I thought that out of those 10 pitchers that were high-level (or at least fairly high-level) prospects, we should be able to get at least 3 or 4 starting pitchers that would have pretty good (or better) major league careers. I wasn't sure which of the 3 or 4 would make it and be live up to those expectations because sometimes the "can't miss" prospects miss, and sometimes the "middle-tier" prospects surprise and pitch like that of the "can't miss" prospect. And of course, sometimes they bomb out. :o

Anyway, it's a few years later, so I figured that I would throw the topic of where these players are now, and where they might be in 2013 and beyond out there for discussion. :)

OFFNY's 2009 Big Ten

1. Brad Bergesen

2. Jason Berken

3. Chris Tillman

4. David Hernandez ........ These were the 4 "AA Boys" at that time that anchored an excellent staff at AA-Bowie the previous season (2008). Between the 4 of them, they racked up 48 wins and 5 complete games with 3 shutouts in the 5-month season that year.

5. Brandon Erbe

6. Chorye Spoone

7. Brian Matusz

8. Jake Arrieta

9. Zach Britton

10. Troy Patton

The surprising thing that none of us really would have believed back then is that the jury is still out. Odds are probably stacked against Tillman and Arrieta, and I'd say Matusz and Britton are tossups, but all four very well could end up as quality ML starters. We've seen them, but the jury is not out..

OFFNY's 2009 Big Ten

1. Brad Bergesen - struggled as a starter in '10 and '11 after an impressive rookie season in '09... pitching well for the Tides so far this year

2. Jason Berken - 2.52 ERA for the Tides this year (12 starts/60.2 innings). Probably a decent bullpen candidate.

3. Chris Tillman - has struggled in three seasons as a big leaguer... still only 24 years old though, and pitching well at AAA.

4. David Hernandez - excellent reliever for the Arizona D-backs.

5. Brandon Erbe - 24 and still in high-A. Long-shot to ever touch a major league uniform.

6. Chorye Spoone - Injuries appear to have derailed a once-promising career. Currently pitching in the Red Sox organization.

7. Brian Matusz - We still don't know exactly what we have with Matusz. I see him as a back-end starter, but we won't really have a clear idea until probably next season.

8. Jake Arrieta - 5.15 ERA in 300 big league innings. Great stuff, but will eventually settle in as a dominant reliever imo. But of course, the jury is still out.

9. Zach Britton - Good rookie season last year. Has had many injury concerns though and doesn't appear to be ready to return yet. Has a good chance to be a solid starter for the O's for years provided healthy.

10. Troy Patton - establishing himself as a quality bullpen arm

Still a wide range of potential outcomes. It's funny, because three years ago I would have assumed that by now we would pretty much know exactly what we have with each of these guys. It just shows how tough a sport baseball is and how long it can take for young players to develop.

• 1 month later...
Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

The surprising thing that none of us really would have believed back then is that the jury is still out. Odds are probably stacked against Tillman and Arrieta, and I'd say Matusz and Britton are tossups, but all four very well could end up as quality ML starters. We've seen them, but the jury is not out .......

MarylandAaron said:

Still a wide range of potential outcomes. It's funny, because three years ago I would have assumed that by now we would pretty much know exactly what we have with each of these guys. It just shows how tough a sport baseball is and how long it can take for young players to develop.

o

The jury is still out on Tillman, as it is with many of the pitchers on this list, but Chris is sure making us proud lately.  ) :)

o

Just tells you that the Baltimore Orioles organization can't develop young pitchers for squat. Sad

Keith Law brought this up in his podcast last year and said that this was his biggest suspicion. He said if it were indeed the case that this is organizational, if he were the GM he would have no choice but to gut the entire minor league staff.

A few years ago, I had a list of 10 starting pitching prospects that were playing in the Orioles' minor league system at the level of at least Advanced-A or higher that were either highly (or at least fairly highly) touted at that time. Some of them are still with the team, some have been traded, and some are still in our minor league system.

My feeling at that time was that the numbers alone were in our favor. I thought that out of those 10 pitchers that were high-level (or at least fairly high-level) prospects, we should be able to get at least 3 or 4 starting pitchers that would have pretty good (or better) major league careers. I wasn't sure which of the 3 or 4 would make it and be live up to those expectations because sometimes the "can't miss" prospects miss, and sometimes the "middle-tier" prospects surprise and pitch like that of the "can't miss" prospect. And of course, sometimes they bomb out. :o

Anyway, it's a few years later, so I figured that I would throw the topic of where these players are now, and where they might be in 2013 and beyond out there for discussion. :)

OFFNY's 2009 Big Ten

1. Brad Bergesen

2. Jason Berken

3. Chris Tillman

4. David Hernandez ........ These were the 4 "AA Boys" at that time that anchored an excellent staff at AA-Bowie the previous season (2008). Between the 4 of them, they racked up 48 wins and 5 complete games with 3 shutouts in the 5-month season that year.

5. Brandon Erbe

6. Chorye Spoone

7. Brian Matusz

8. Jake Arrieta

9. Zach Britton

10. Troy Patton

So Patton and Hernandez are having quality bullpen seasons for their teams. Hernandez has a 13 K/9. Tillman is pitching well for us and finally showing the velocity he was projected to have (though I didn't see today's game). Arrieta had 7 starts where her was dominant - k/9 of 9 and an era below 1.5...too bad there were those other start:rolleyes:s, but I still like the arm. Britton has had some shoulder setbacks but has a 70+% gb ratio right now, and his velocity is good. Spoone and Erbe have been injured though Erbe has a k/9 of 9 right now (his w/9 is also 9:confused: ). Matusz has been a big disappointment for me to this point. To the poster who worried about Bundy, there are no guarantees, but that fastball sounds awful nice in the glove. Cool list, OFFNY. Oh, I forgot Bergeson, I was disappointed in him, too. At 27, he is older than all the other guys (Tillman 24, Britton 25, Matusz 25, and Arrieta 26). He should be one season away from beginning his major league peak. His AAA K/9 was only 4.5, and you say," but he's a sinkerballer" - yep, but AAA hitters were hitting 297 off of him and his major league gb% when he was here was only 47 %. So, we've got a guy who isn't striking people out, and they are hitting his sinkers hard and in the air too much. I wish him luck...

• 1 month later...
Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

The surprising thing that none of us really would have believed back then is, that the jury is still out. Odds are probably stacked against Tillman and Arrieta, and I'd say that Matusz and Britton are tossups, but all four very well could end up as quality ML starters. We've seen them, but the jury is not out ........

MarylandAaron said:

o

Again, with the surprising emergence of Zach Britton is his last 2 starts, and with Brian Matusz looking sharp in his first 2 outings out of the bullpen, the jury ......... which many of us would have presumed would be out by now on most or all of these guys ........ just keeps lingering.

And of course, Tillman (as a starter) and Patton (out of the bullpen) are having good seasons as well.

o

All of them have shown plus stuff and at times plus command (this is the key). Tillman looks the part now. It's not just stuff any more like when he first came up. He has decent command and a solid approach.

We'll see if Britton can continue doing well.. He has the most legitimate excuse as he probably is just now getting comfortable off of injury after a solid rookie season.

I think the bullpen is a great place for Matusz right now and probably Arrieta as well. Just pitch. Don't over think it.

Again it will be interesting to see if what we have seen in flashes from ALL of these guys can become any kind of consistent. If it does, well look out!

• 3 weeks later...
Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

The surprising thing that none of us really would have believed back then is, that the jury is still out. Odds are probably stacked against Tillman and Arrieta, and I'd say that Matusz and Britton are tossups, but all four very well could end up as quality ML starters. We've seen them, but the jury is not out ........

MarylandAaron said:

o

THE LATEST ......

Zach Britton turned in 4 consecutive gems, followed by back-to-back clinker against the Yankees and the Athletics.

Brian Matusz has turned into a VERY effective reliever for the time being.

Jason Berken was picked up by the Cubs.

Troy Patton and Chris Tillman are getting set to return from injury (Patton as a reliever, Tillman as a starter.)

As more time passes, the questions about this bunch are continued to be asked as much as they are being answered. ) O.o

o

• 1 year later...
Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

The surprising thing that none of us really would have believed back then is, that the jury is still out. Odds are probably stacked against Tillman and Arrieta, and I'd say that Matusz and Britton are tossups, but all four very well could end up as quality ML starters. We've seen them, but the jury is not out ........

o

And for some of them, IT IS STILL out.

Zachary Grant Britton looks really good in long/middle relief right now.

o

• 5 weeks later...
OFFNY said:

o

And for some of them, IT IS STILL out.

Zachary Grant Britton looks really good in long/middle relief right now.

o

o

Indeed.

Zachary Grant Britton appears to have a new lease on life in the Orioles' bullpen.

He got the first save of his Major League career tonight, and he seems to be capable of ANY bullpen role (long relief, middle relief, closer, etc.)

o

Archived