Undefeated on September 28th when I'm at Oriole Park

OFFNY

September 28th is my late mom's birthday. She has the distinction of having been a lifelong Yankee fan who converted (yes, she TRULY converted) to being an Oriole fan in October of 1978, because she didn't want me to be the only Oriole fan in our family. She promised me that the Orioles would win the World Series the following season, and she was off by one game.

September 28th of 2007: The Yankees led us 9-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. They brought in Mariano Rivera in. Game over, right ? Wrong !

We loaded the bases with 2 outs. It looked like curtains, except ......... Jay Payton drilled a bases-clearing triple into the gap in right-centerfield to tie the game !!! :eek: A lot of Yankee fans that were sitting near me were angrily screaming "choke" at their beloved team. :laughlol:

In the top of the 10th, the Yanks hit a lead-off double, and it looked like our storybook ending would go down in flames. Not on this night. We managed to get out of the inning without being scored upon.

In the bottom of the 10th, we again had the bases loaded and 2 outs. On the first pitch, Melvin Mora laid down a bunt, taking the Yankees by surprise. Tike Redman raced home, and the Orioles all mobbed each other on the field.

With that win, the Orioles eliminated the Yankees from the A.L. East division title. They still got the wild card ... but good enough. ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200709280.shtml

September 28th of 2011: Again, down to their final out, the Orioles trailed the Red Sox 3-2 in the bottom of the 9th with Jonathan Papelbon on the mound. The Red Sox fans that were still at the park were going crazy, chanting, "Let's go, Red Sox!" Chris Davis kept the Orioles alive with a double up the right-field line. Nolan Reimold (down to his final strike) then hit a ground-rule double to tie the game. Then, Robert Andino hit an RBI-single to leftfield to win the game. The Orioles KO'd the Red Sox from the playoffs. :D

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201109280.shtml

September 28th of 2012: No last-minute comebacks thsi time, but just as enjoyable. After a brief scare in the top of the first inning when the Red Sox etched out an unearned run off of Chris Tillman, the Orioles immeditaely exploded for 6 runs in the bottom half, and coasted to a 9-1 victory for the 90th win of the season, and kept pace by staying only 1 game behind the Yankees.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201209280.shtml

I know that I have made it clear that I don't believe in jinxes, whammies, or curses, but I would like to give a wink to my mom, and thank her for her support of me in my Orioles fandom. :)

September 28th is my late mom's birthday. She has the distinction of having been a lifelong Yankee fan who converted (yes, she TRULY converted) to being an Oriole fan in October of 1978, because she didn't want me to be the only Oriole fan in our family. She promised me that the Orioles would win the World Series the following season, and she was off by one game.

I know that I have made it clear that I don't believe in jinxes, whammies, or curses, but I would like to give a wink to my mom, and thank her for her support of me in my Orioles fandom. :)

That is great Patrick. Hope to see you tonight.

Awesome Patrick. Your mom is still looking over you and your Orioles. Fond memories of your mom, no doubt.

I also hope to catch up with you tonight.

Thanks. :)

I got the PM from Yoda. We're eating in Ellicott City now (2 P.M.), but we should be outside of Pickle's at around 5 P.M. or so.

Patrick :)

• 11 months later...

Next year September 28th is the last game of the season. We're on the road in Toronto.

Are we supposed to get a collection together to send you to the game? Or are we supposed to send you to sit in an empty Camden Yards, since they never lose when you're there on the 28th?

Congrats on last night's win.

When you're 103 years old and in a nursing home and the Orioles need a win to make the playoffs I'll personally fly you in. ;)
Maybe the Orioles should just call the date for every home game "September 28" and you can have a new job watching them all.
Big congrats--and Thanks--to you and your Mom!
Next year September 28th is the last game of the season. We're on the road in Toronto.

Are we supposed to get a collection together to send you to the game? Or are we supposed to send you to sit in an empty Camden Yards' date=' since they never lose when you're there on the 28th?

Congrats on last night's win.[/quote']

Thank you all very much. :)

My brother and I hit the road back to Brewster today, so we missed today's thrilling season finale.

Still, it was great for me to have once again witnessed an Oriole victory on this date (September 28th) to finish out my own season of fandom. :cool:

• 1 year later...

o

September 28th of 2007: . The Yankees led us 9-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. They brought in Mariano Rivera in. Game over, right ? Wrong !

We loaded the bases with 2 outs. It looked like curtains, except ......... Jay Payton drilled a bases-clearing triple into the gap in right-centerfield to tie the game !!! :eek: A lot of Yankee fans that were sitting near me were angrily screaming "choke" at their beloved team. :laughlol:

In the top of the 10th, the Yanks hit a lead-off double, and it looked like our storybook ending would go down in flames. Not on this night. We managed to get out of the inning without being scored upon.

In the bottom of the 10th, we again had the bases loaded and 2 outs. On the first pitch, Melvin Mora laid down a bunt, taking the Yankees by surprise. Tike Redman raced home, and the Orioles all mobbed each other on the field.

With that win, the Orioles eliminated the Yankees from the A.L. East division title. They still got the wild card ... but good enough. ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200709280.shtml

September 28th of 2011: . Again, down to their final out, the Orioles trailed the Red Sox 3-2 in the bottom of the 9th with Jonathan Papelbon on the mound. The Red Sox fans that were still at the park were going crazy, chanting, "Let's go, Red Sox!" Chris Davis kept the Orioles alive with a double up the right-field line. Nolan Reimold (down to his final strike) then hit a ground-rule double to tie the game. Then, Robert Andino hit an RBI-single to leftfield to win the game. The Orioles KO'd the Red Sox from the playoffs. :D

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201109280.shtml

September 28th of 2012: . No last-minute comebacks thsi time, but just as enjoyable. After a brief scare in the top of the first inning when the Red Sox etched out an unearned run off of Chris Tillman, the Orioles immeditaely exploded for 6 runs in the bottom half, and coasted to a 9-1 victory for the 90th win of the season, and kept pace by staying only 1 game behind the Yankees.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201209280.shtml

September 28th of 2013: . Yet ANOTHER stirring, late-inning comeback.

With a winning season already in their pockets and no chance for a postseason birth, the Orioles were playing for pride.

Trailing the eventual World Champion Red Sox by a score of 5-4 in the bottom of the 8th inning, Steve Pearce doubles home both Matt Wieters and Danny Vaencia, giving the Orioles the 6-5 lead.

Jimmy Johnson came in in the top of the 9th inning to close it out, and keep intact the Orioles' undefeated record at OPACY when I am at the game (4-0.)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201309280.shtml

September 28th of 2015: . I ..... will ..... be ...... there. ) Let's go, Orioles.

Archived