The 2013 New York Yankees

isestrex

I wanted to post this a few weeks ago (well before the Granderson injury) but just never got around to it. Now I want to hurry and get this down before anything else happens to them.

I am going on record and predicting a historically bad season for the Yankees in 2013... at least historically bad for them.

Reasons:

1. Very few organizations have 20 consecutive seasons of good baseball with no hiccups. It just doesn't happen all that often. Counting 1994, the Yankees have had 19 consecutive "good" seasons as a ballclup. A hiccup is due.

2. Their age has been fended off for a few years now but you can't hold back father time forever. The Yankees are the 3rd oldest team in baseball and have clung to veterans like Jeter, A-Rod, Pettitte, and Rivera to carry them. Rodriguez is the young man at 37 among that group. We saw it last year with Rivera and Jeter suffering major injures, and we're already seeing it this year with A-Rod probably missing the entire 2013 season. We're also seeing players like Sabathia, Teixeira and Youkilis in decline at the respectable age of 32/33.

Notable offseason acquisitions for the Yanks include re-signing of Kuroda (38), Travis Hafner (35), Juan Rivera (34) and the aforementioned Youkilis. Oh yeah... and let's not forget Ichiro at 39 either.

Sooner or later, age catches up to you.

3. We're starting to see fluke injuries from some and reasonable (given age) injuries to others already. A-Rod is dealing with recovery from hip surgery and the Yankees are planning his comeback in 2014. Granderson will miss the first month and half due to getting hit on the wrist by a pitch. Youkilis will be sitting out multiple games due to oblique tightness (something that rarely goes away). Phil Hughes (who has a lot of pressure this season) is still unable to get a full go due to a back injury. Michael Pineda (whom they traded an elite prospect for) is returning from serious shoulder surgery.

...and it's not even March yet.

To put it all together, I think this is just one of those years where everything goes wrong for the Yankees. Do I have a sound reasonable argument for this? A quick glance of the above points should immediately tell you, no... my argument has no statistical grounding whatsoever. And what logical foundations I have tried to make are flawed and full of conjecture.

Yes... and?

This thread will take delight in cataloging all that goes wrong with the NY Yankees in 2013. I hope it will become a very long thread ;)

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For starters, Dan Szymborski is calling this the worst lineup for the Yankees in 22 years.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2013/story/_/id/8983085/without-curtis-granderson-new-york-yankees-field-their-weakest-opening-day-lineup-1991-mlb

The thing about dynasties or empires is that they generally don't come crashing to the ground in a grand explosion. Historical empires like the Roman or Byzantine Empires didn't suddenly go out in a blaze of glory; they slowly disintegrated over centuries. The fall of an empire generally involves problems adding up and an increasing inability to deal with new problems, rather than blowing up a Death Star after hanging out with Ewoks.
Can the Yankees still win the AL East? Absolutely. Players like Ichiro and Youkilis could defy the clock and help extend the dominance of the current Yankees for another year. But in the long run, all empires fall, and there's no crueler a judge than history.

I'm sure this list will be very long but it will tampered by the fear that down the road in 4-6 years..the Yanks will have fixed many of their problems..and become an issue again.

1991 was enjoyable to see but who would know a few years later the Yanks would be the team in baseball again?

Oh well,let's just enjoy the misery in the meantime:thumbsup1:

I am going on record and predicting a historically bad season for the Yankees in 2013... at least historically bad for them.

This thread will take delight in cataloging all that goes wrong with the NY Yankees in 2013. I hope it will become a very long thread ;)

Every year we hear the same thing. Sadly, you will be disappointed. Again.

Question... would I want the Yankees to win 2014 World Series if I could have the 2013 Yankees suffer a 69 win season?

I'm really torn on that one...

I've only rooted once for the Yankees to win the World Series (in 03) and they lost. I'd be happy if the Yanks don't win again for a long long time...the strech from 79-95 was great.

I've only rooted once for the Yankees to win the World Series (in 03) and they lost. I'd be happy if the Yanks don't win again for a long long time...the strech from 79-95 was great.

Ewww, gross. Hopefully you took a cold shower after that.

I almost thought about rooting for them in 2001 after the attacks, but was pretty giddy to see Gonzalez walk them off.

I almost thought about rooting for them in 2001 after the attacks, but was pretty giddy to see Gonzalez walk them off.

Yeah that was the only time I ever felt a little... guilty... for rooting against the Yankees. But I was totally giddy when the D-Backs won that year.

In other news... Ichiro got into a car accident...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9009867/new-york-yankees-ichiro-suzuki-ok-traffic-accident-tampa

Yeah that was the only time I ever felt a little... guilty... for rooting against the Yankees. But I was totally giddy when the D-Backs won that year.

In other news... Ichiro got into a car accident...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9009867/new-york-yankees-ichiro-suzuki-ok-traffic-accident-tampa

I felt for the Yankees (and Mets) in 2001 but still would never root for them. What happened to everyone in that city is beyond my imagining.

I wanted Arizona to win badly though, I felt if the Yankees won their 4th consecutive WS that year they would never lose one again. I will say though that if the Yankees won that year I wouldn't have been as angry as I usually am. Still glad Arizona won, they deserved it.

And glad to hear that Ichiro is okay. A cocktail server who works for me just got into one a couple weeks ago and flew 20 feet out of the car (no seatbelt, which the cops said actually probably saved her life). Someone ran a red light and ran straight into the side of the car. Amazingly she looked scraped up but more like she just fell down while on a bike ride instead of being thrown through the roof and across an intersection. Weird how things work like that.

Everyone's underestimating the Yankees this year, as they do every year. This team was old five years ago... they won't stop until they die. Chances are even Ichiro will play like a new man. And what have they really lost besides one month of Granderson? Swisher's gone but Gardner's back. They lost Martin but he was already one of their worst players and whatever scrub they replace him with will probably be an all-star. Replacing A-Rod with Youk might be a wash. And then there's Pineda, immediately their #2 if healthy.

Will they win as many as they did last year? No, but will they compete? Probably.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but don't you guys all pretty much think that they are going to be just as big of spenders despite the fact that King George III is dead? I mean, they still have just as much money and everything and the same mentality. it is just different people (his son or sons) running the show. I just find it hard to believe that that the Yankees would change their habits one iota just because George is dead.

Of course, I would absolutely LOVE to see a salary cap in major league baseball, but that is another story, and it just is not going to happen.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but don't you guys all pretty much think that they are going to be just as big of spenders despite the fact that King George III is dead? I mean, they still have just as much money and everything and the same mentality. it is just different people (his son or sons) running the show. I just find it hard to believe that that the Yankees would change their habits one iota just because George is dead.

Of course, I would absolutely LOVE to see a salary cap in major league baseball, but that is another story, and it just is not going to happen.

Actually you couldn't be further from the truth.. The new regime has stated multiple times this offseason that they are tired of paying the luxury tax and, according to Hal Steinbrenner, getting the Yankees under the bar is the organization's highest priority over the next few seasons. From Cashman's quotes this offseason, it doesn't appear that he totally agrees with this. But it's is definitely the new Yankee way. Payroll will be cut. A lot has been written recently about Yankee fans needing a slight expectation adjustment. Since the 70's they've been the spoiled child that gets everything it wants. But it looks like they'll have to start getting used to big name free agents (like Josh Hamilton) go elsewhere even if there's a glaring need.

This makes the re-signing of Cano and the efforts to potentially void A-Rod's contract HUGE issues for the Yankees this season.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-01/steinbrenner-says-yankees-target-189-million-payroll-to-avoid-luxury-tax.html

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/budget_matters_KZgRzJRyD9UcmxzhfFAAGJ/0

I didn't root for them even after 9/11. I wouldn't have been ticked off if they had won but I was happy to see that walk off,considering the Diamondbacks WERE the better team in that series. I didn't even mind that the Diamondbacks basically took a page from the Yankee playbook and bought all the free agents they could in an effort to win,which they did.

In a way it was justice because everyone was saying they deserved to win because of 9/11. No they didn't and the better team won.

No,my rooting for them in 03 had everything to do with picking the lesser of two evils. It was well known by then Loria was a sleaze who simply views MLB teams as his own piggybank,the fanbases and cities of those teams be darned.

But now that 03 is long gone,I'll enjoy the Yankee decline. It's way past time they were allowed to simply open the checkbook and get whomever they wanted. Baseball survived the 60's and early 70's without the Yankees and the 80's early 90's as well,it can most certainly do it now. Give other teams besides the Yankees,Red Sox and Dodgers a chance.

Actually you couldn't be further from the truth.. The new regime has stated multiple times this offseason that they are tired of paying the luxury tax and, according to Hal Steinbrenner, getting the Yankees under the bar is the organization's highest priority over the next few seasons. From Cashman's quotes this offseason, it doesn't appear that he totally agrees with this. But it's is definitely the new Yankee way. Payroll will be cut. A lot has been written recently about Yankee fans needing a slight expectation adjustment. Since the 70's they've been the spoiled child that gets everything it wants. But it looks like they'll have to start getting used to big name free agents (like Josh Hamilton) go elsewhere even if there's a glaring need.

This makes the re-signing of Cano and the efforts to potentially void A-Rod's contract HUGE issues for the Yankees this season.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-01/steinbrenner-says-yankees-target-189-million-payroll-to-avoid-luxury-tax.html

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/budget_matters_KZgRzJRyD9UcmxzhfFAAGJ/0

You have to realize that if the Yankees can miss the luxury tax threshold one time, it drastically lowers the tax rate they pay the next time they exceed the threshold. The tax rate depends on how many consecutive years a team has been over the cap, so as soon as they are below it one time, the rates will be comparatively lower the next several years.

1st year: 17.5 percent

2nd year: 30 percent

3rd year: 40 percent

4th year or more: 50 percent

The Yankees are in the 50% category if they exceed the threshold this year, but if they can stay below, then they're back in the 20% category in 2014 even if they exceed the cap.

Archived