Something must be done about Fred Manfra

FollyFollyToo

I rarely start threads. The OH regulars are much better at it than I could ever hope to be. And I've seen random Fred Manfra threads come and go over the years. But it's getting absurd. He's serviceable as a game caller, but he needs to get his fly ball perception issues under control. Just as the players need to go out and take fielding practice, he needs to take "calling practice." Every time an Oriole hits a ball that's even CLOSE to the wall, he calls it like a homer (until the inevitable, deflating truth of the catch). Then, as illustrated tonight when a Ranger hit a near triple over AJ's head, he will refer to other teams' fly balls as POPUPS, even when they're crushed, and even when they go out of the "ball yard" as he likes to call it. I understand that he's working with Joe Angel who's one of the best in the business, and so maybe he overcompensates, but he needs to realize that his inflection has meaning. He needs to put himself in the position of a listening fan who would rather he DOWNPLAY a possible homer and then be delighted when it goes over the fence rather than vice versa. It sounds inconsequential and maybe even petty, but when you're listening to the radio, ALL YOU HAVE is your narrator. You need that narrator to be reliable!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I rarely start threads. The OH regulars are much better at it than I could ever hope to be. And I've seen random Fred Manfra threads come and go over the years. But it's getting absurd. He's serviceable as a game caller, but he needs to get his fly ball perception issues under control. Just as the players need to go out and take fielding practice, he needs to take "calling practice." Every time an Oriole hits a ball that's even CLOSE to the wall, he calls it like a homer (until the inevitable, deflating truth of the catch). Then, as illustrated tonight when a Ranger hit a near triple over AJ's head, he will refer to other teams' fly balls as POPUPS, even when they're crushed, and even when they go out of the "ball yard" as he likes to call it. I understand that he's working with Joe Angel who's one of the best in the business, and so maybe he overcompensates, but he needs to realize that his inflection has meaning. He needs to put himself in the position of a listening fan who would rather he DOWNPLAY a possible homer and then be delighted when it goes over the fence rather than vice versa. It sounds inconsequential and maybe even petty, but when you're listening to the radio, ALL YOU HAVE is your narrator. You need that narrator to be reliable!

Good post. I miss the sonorous and eloquent calls of John Miller and Chuck Thompson. Guess that means I'm getting old but, boy was I spoiled as a kid.

Love his voice, but he's pretty bad at play by play. Terrible with fly balls, routinely stops describing action in the middle of plays, and generally talks like we are watching the game and can see what is happening. I have been very disappointed in his broadcasts this season.

He's not great.

But if you listen to other teams around baseball he's far from the worst....

It is a lost art in many ways, but I still expect a good job...especially with a team that's been doing this forever.

Nice guy but awful at play by play. Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to spend an evening with him and Dan Connolly before spring training and enjoyed his knowledge and candor. He is not great at anticipating depth.

Got to spend an evening with him and Dan Connolly before spring training and enjoyed his knowledge and candor. He is not great at anticipating depth.

I wasn't even going to post that at first. He seems like a true gentleman. Agree with your comments.

I met Fred once. He was a real nice guy, not like Hunter. But he is a terrible play by play guy. One of the worst. Even Hunter is better on the radio.

Hunter wasn't nice?

Joe Angel is an Artist, and he is always so on! I like Fred too, but Joe is brilliant. The cadence of the radio broadcast is really easy to listen to, except for the Schmidt bread commercial, the tv broadcast kind of beats you over the head sometimes.

Archived