2009 Draft: #1 Stephen Strasburg

Ages (in parentheses) are as of the 2009 Draft...

#1 Stephen Strasburg, RHSP, San Diego State, (20), 6-5/220

#2 Grant Green, SS, USC, (21), 6-3/180

#3 Aaron Crow, RHSP, Fort Worth Cats, (22), 6-2/200

#4 Alex White, RHSP, UNC, (20), 6-3/195

#5 Dustin Ackley, 1B/CF, UNC, (21) 6-1/185

#6 Tyler Matzek, LHSP, H.S (CA)

#7 Kyle Gibson, RHSP, Missouri

#8 Matthew Purke, LHSP, H.S. (TX)

#9 Donovan Tate, OF, H.S. (GA)

#10 Mike Minor, LHSP, Vanderbilt

This is 'Part 1' in a ten-part series, and below I'll preview #1 overall prospect, Stephen Strasburg:

#1... Stephen Strasburg, RHSP, San Diego State, (20), 6-5/220

340x.jpg

Not since Mark Prior has there been this kind of buzz about an amateur pitcher. Strasburg is a rare triple-digit-reaching starter. There aren't many men that can legitimately throw 100 mph, but nearly all of them are relievers. Besides the great fastball that sits at 96-97, Stephen also employs an outstanding slider, good command and poise, clean mechanics, and a knack for pitching big in big games. These attributes have teams at the top of the draft salivating.

Like Prior, Strasburg is now a former Olympian, and pitched great in his limited chances.

More to come...

Interesting Greg.

Have you read anywhere about UNC trying Ackley in CF this year, or is this more of where organizations are projecting him since he's a good athlete and hits for little power (for a first baseman)?

Also, I love the Donovan Tate guy already, simply because of his name. Tate Donovan (the actor), Donovan Tate. Awesome.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

Interesting Greg.

Have you read anywhere about UNC trying Ackley in CF this year, or is this more of where organizations are projecting him since he's a good athlete and hits for little power (for a first baseman)?

Also, I love the Donovan Tate guy already, simply because of his name. Tate Donovan (the actor), Donovan Tate. Awesome.

Edit: No Aaron Crow in this?

As far as Ackley goes, he is a former OF'er who hurt his arm and made the switch to 1B to avoid re-injuring his arm. Now that he says his arm is much better, it appears that he'll have a shot to go back out to the OF, and likely as a CF'er.

Tate is a wildcard, talented but wants to play football in college... he'll be a tough one to figure.

Crow... I forgot my own list, so thanks. I may move him up to as high as #2 or #3, but will wait a bit to make that determination.

As far as Ackley goes, he is a former OF'er who hurt his arm and made the switch to 1B to avoid re-injuring his arm. Now that he says his arm is much better, it appears that he'll have a shot to go back out to the OF, and likely as a CF'er.

Tate is a wildcard, talented but wants to play football in college... he'll be a tough one to figure.

Crow... I forgot my own list, so thanks. I may move him up to as high as #2 or #3, but will wait a bit to make that determination.

Wow...I had no idea that Ackley was at first because he had arm problems. It makes sense though because he is certainly quick enough to move off of first. He definitely warrants being up this high though, power numbers be damned. The guy is a genuine threat to lead the league in hitting at some point in his pro career.

Wow...I had no idea that Ackley was at first because he had arm problems. It makes sense though because he is certainly quick enough to move off of first. He definitely warrants being up this high though, power numbers be damned. The guy is a genuine threat to lead the league in hitting at some point in his pro career.

There is also a possibility that he makes the transition to 2B, but we'll see.

For me, Ackley profiles as an outstanding hitter, with a .320/.390/.480/.870 line, with 20+ HR's, and stealing 15+ bases. I agree, he is lauded for being a great hitter.

I hate to bring either HOF'ers or current great players into a comparison, but names like Chase Utley and Wade Boggs are mentioned as comps.

He just has special talent with the stick, and is a vocal team leader to boot. I'd love to have him.

BTW, you are NOT an idiot sir. I corrected Crow per your reminder. :)

Here's hoping that Green drops to us

Green to the O's would just be perfect. Too perfect to actually happen I think. :D

The one thing that we have going for us in this scenario is that this draft.seems to be very pitcher heavy. Teams love to draft pitchers high in the draft.

Green to the O's would just be perfect. Too perfect to actually happen I think. :D

The one thing that we have going for us in this scenario is that this draft.seems to be very pitcher heavy. Teams love to draft pitchers high in the draft.

Also of the teams ahead of us, only SD and Pitt would probably take a SS with their pick. The other teams will be going with a SP.

If the Pirates lose Alvarez and he reenters the draft.

We tell the Pirates you draft a SS we draft Alvarez and one year from the day we sign him we hand him to the Phillies. You will have a front row seat in him becoming the next Mike Schmidt

18 months later Spring Training starts for the Oklahoma City Pirates

It happens all the time in drafts, people say that they are going to draft the best players available. But in football and basketball, players are able to contribute right away, so i think position needs to be taken into consideration more (unless a great talent is there during your pick). But in baseball all of these players are usually at least 2 years away from being able to contribute. So as much as I would love to see the O's to take a SS and fill one of our needs, he wont be able to help us untill, say, 2012 or so. So I wouldnt upset if we took a position player or even another pitcher like Crow. But I would imagine that we go with a hitter

Personally my top choice is Alex White followed closely by Grant Green. It just seems that no matter how much pitching we think the O's have it's never enough. I'd also like to give Davis a look before investing so much in a SS. Davis had a phenominal post all-star break season and with a good AFL and 1st half next year we might have something. We'll see...

Archived