2009 Draft: #4 Alex White

Ages (in parentheses) are as of the 2009 Draft...

#1 Stephen Strasburg, RHSP, San Diego State, (20), 6-5/220

#2 Grant Green, SS, USC, (21), 6-3/180

#3 Aaron Crow, RHSP, Fort Worth Cats, (22), 6-2/200

#4 Alex White, RHSP, UNC, (20), 6-3/195

#5 Dustin Ackley, 1B/CF, UNC, (21) 6-1/185

#6 Tyler Matzek, LHSP, H.S (CA)

#7 Kyle Gibson, RHSP, Missouri

#8 Matthew Purke, LHSP, H.S. (TX)

#9 Donovan Tate, OF, H.S. (GA)

#10 Mike Minor, LHSP, Vanderbilt

This is 'Part 4' in a ten-part series, and below I'll preview #4 overall prospect, Alex White:

#4... Alex White, RHSP, UNC, (20), 6-3/195

559895770_104f590340.jpg?v=0

Alex White has the makings of a strong front of the rotation ML starter. A well regarded HS'er who elected to go to UNC instead, the now 20-year-old played his sophomore season at just 19, and helped lead his team to the College World Series. At 6' 3" and 195 pounds, he has a good pitcher's frame, repeatable mechanics and poise that belies his age. As he matures, he should add weight, and may add a tick or two to an already good fastball, which he throws in the low 90's, toughing 95-96 when he rears back for that little extra. While his fastball is impressive, it's the sink on it that causes hitters nightmares. With such a great sinker, comparisons to Brandon Webb were inevitable. The Greenville, NC native has very good secondary stuff. He throws an occasional split-fingered FB, a plus slider, and feel for a developing change-up.

While he gets compared to Mr. Webb, Alex grew up an Atlanta Braves fan, and he chose one of the very best pitchers of any era to try to emulate... Greg Maddux. So not only is Alex very talented, he's wise to boot.

White comes into his junior year with visions of another CWS, and a likely top ten choice in the '09 Draft awaiting him. He'll continue to build on an impressive sophomore year, in which he tallied 101.2 IP, gave up 78 hits, walked 42, struck out 113, posted an ERA of 2.83 and a WHIP of 1.18. Be afraid college baseball... be very afraid. =P

While I have White at #4, there is a strong possibility he could rise past Crow as the season ensues, and may wind up as high as #2 overall.

Moi likes. His performance in the CWS was very impressive.

Having groundball pitchers is always good, but especially so for the O's because of OPACY's size.

Agreed. The more I researched this young man, the more impressed I became. I hadn't realized he was only 19 his entire sophomore year. That really matters... so like Strasburg, he's already this good a year earlier than many contemporaries. I may put him at #3 before the season starts, or even well before. I like White a great deal.

Assuming he has another good season, I'd be quite pleased to get him with the number 5 pick. A good sinker is the best pitch in baseball, and a pitcher with a great sinkerball can be a successful starter even if that's his only plus pitch.

Scott Erickson leaned heavily on that pitch (pun semi-intended), and had a fine career with it. :)

Yeah, I have White ahead of Green at #2. He doesn't have quite the elctric "stuff" that Strasburg brings to the table, but he knows how to pitch and projects to be a front-end starter given his command of potentially three above-average-to-plus-pitches, solid frame and already advanced command. If the draft were today, I'd take him #2.

Yeah, I have White ahead of Green at #2. He doesn't have quite the elctric "stuff" that Strasburg brings to the table, but he knows how to pitch and projects to be a front-end starter given his command of potentially three above-average-to-plus-pitches, solid frame and already advanced command. If the draft were today, I'd take him #2.

Can't argue that point... although if both Green and White somehow were to be available at #5 (very doubtful) and both had outstanding years, passing on Green would cause a revolt in Baltimore. :D

Can't argue that point... although if both Green and White somehow were to be available at #5 (very doubtful) and both had outstanding years, passing on Green would cause a revolt in Baltimore. :D

Absolutely. To be honest, if Green had an outstanding '09, it'd be a rare instance where I'd draft for need (if only because MI is such a tough place to find offense and BAL seems to be out of luck when it comes to trying to locate something there without overpaying with $$ or prospects). I'd imagine many draft boards will read Strasburg/Green come January 1.

Absolutely. To be honest, if Green had an outstanding '09, it'd be a rare instance where I'd draft for need (if only because MI is such a tough place to find offense and BAL seems to be out of luck when it comes to trying to locate something there without overpaying with $$ or prospects). I'd imagine many draft boards will read Strasburg/Green come January 1.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited as always about the new crop of youngsters. As well, I just know that you, I and many others are going to provide a great deal of information regarding them. It's a near certainty that our posters/readers are going to be well-informed. :)

I know neither of you said that you would, but do you really think that it would cause a revolt here? I am just as frustrated as anyone with our depth (lack of) of positional players in the system, but I think that when you are in the top 5, you have to just take the best player. I would love to have Matusz, White, Arrieta and Tillman in the system.

I know neither of you said that you would, but do you really think that it would cause a revolt here? I am just as frustrated as anyone with our depth (lack of) of positional players in the system, but I think that when you are in the top 5, you have to just take the best player. I would love to have Matusz, White, Arrieta and Tillman in the system.

If Green and White were considered equal talents, and we took White, yes, I do think it would upset a great many fans and Hangouters.

I would love to have White also. The more great pitching talent the better.

We agree that you take the best talent available, but I was just pointing out a potential issue where two players are virtually considered equal and the O's took the pitcher over the SS. ;)

I don't know as much about White (although I am loving what I am reading/hearing) as I do about Strasburg, Crow, Ackley, and Green. I watched him in the CWS, but I didn't follow him a lot last year. What do you think is his timetable as far as making it to the majors? Is he more unpolished than Matusz and would require more time to develop?

I don't know as much about White (although I am loving what I am reading/hearing) as I do about Strasburg, Crow, Ackley, and Green. I watched him in the CWS, but I didn't follow him a lot last year. What do you think is his timetable as far as making it to the majors? Is he more unpolished than Matusz and would require more time to develop?

It's a little early to know, but Matusz is an exceptionally polished pitcher, so most would fall somewhat short in comparison. However, White, if all falls right, may take two years after being taken to get to the bigs. That's the best guess at this juncture.

Like most top-tier college pitchers, White's stuff could play in a ML-pen pretty quickly (within a year). If he signs in August of '09, he could conceivably be ready by that start of the 2011, though ideally the organization can take its time (HiA/AA in '10, AAA in '11 with a late-season call-up). That's my best guess.

Archived