Soriano off the market.

weams

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smart move by NY IMO...Now, you will have shorter games...assuming of course that Soriano can stay healthy and perform.

Their starting pitching may not be great but if their pen is stellar, they may be ok.

On top of this, the DRays get much better with their draft picks...Sucks double for the Orioles.

Haha, dumb..Just dumb

Not a great way to spend money, but irrelevant for the Yankees. They get a good reliever.

Loss of 1st Rd pick is not good, but I fully expect them to spend a bunch on a stacked Latin American Class, so they will be less affected than another organization might.

Boy the Angels are really screwed now.

No Lee, Crawford, Beltre or Soriano.

It's going to be hard to sell no improvement to their fanbase especially after the season Texas had and what they did in the offseason.

Moreno has apparently morphed all the way into Peter Angelos mode.

First he spent money, and now he's closed the wallet.

Boy the Angels are really screwed now.

No Lee, Crawford, Beltre or Soriano.

It's going to be hard to sell no improvement to their fanbase especially after the season Texas had and what they did in the offseason.

Moreno has apparently morphed all the way into Peter Angelos mode.

First he spent money, and now he's closed the wallet.

There's always Bruce Chen to hope for...

Wow. I'll say that this move COULD have a big impact on the Yankees success in 2011, but if it doesn't they will be really regretting this deal in years two and three.

Assuming Rivera doesn't fall off the table, I'd guess Soriano will only have the possibility of being the Yankees closer a maximum of one of these three years...the third year. Relievers often fluctuate greatly in performance from year to year. Now, Soriano has had three or four really good years and a truly great season in 2010, but there are countless examples of why it's tough to rely on relievers, especially ones with injury histories such as Soriano's.

If Soriano maintains his recent level, the Yankees will really have a great 8th/9th inning combo, which is very significant, and is why I won't jump on this as a totally stupid move. However, even for the Yankees, $12 M a year and three years for a 31 year old set up man is a very big risk.

Smart move by NY IMO...Now, you will have shorter games...assuming of course that Soriano can stay healthy and perform.

Their starting pitching may not be great but if their pen is stellar, they may be ok.

On top of this, the DRays get much better with their draft picks...Sucks double for the Orioles.

Who do they have in their bullpen besides Soriano and Rivera? Unless I'm missing someone their bullpen is far from stellar. They are going to have a dominant 8th and 9th inning guy but the bullpen guys before that don't necessarily scare me.

While I agree that this a horrible contract, I'd rather have seen the Yankees alternatives in the 8th than Soriano. As has been noted, it also helps the Rays. It makes the one team that doesn't have to worry about a farm system better, and it makes a team that knows how to draft and scout better as well. As SG stated, this is worst case for the O's.

You think that it's smart for the Yankees to pay a reliever nearly $12 mil per year for 3 years, and give up a first round pick - which Cashman swore he wouldn't do for any player other than Cliff Lee?

Okay...:rolleyes:

P.S. a first round pick to a division rival, which will also recieve a supplemental pick, and already has one of baseball's deepest farm system?

I think it's smart for the Yankees to use their huge advantage. And their huge advantage is money. $35M is nothing to them. It's likely they could add $50M or $100M to their payroll without impacting anything. They got a little stronger, and all they lost is money, which they have in spades, and a draft pick, which they can compensate for by making more international signings (essentially, more money).

And the Rays just added two high picks, poaching them from a division rival, adding to their main strength.

Don't see how either side of this could be good for the Orioles. Of course, the O's signing Soriano would have been mind-numbingly stupid.

You think that it's smart for the Yankees to pay a reliever nearly $12 mil per year for 3 years, and give up a first round pick - which Cashman swore he wouldn't do for any player other than Cliff Lee?

Okay...:rolleyes:

P.S. a first round pick to a division rival, which will also recieve a supplemental pick, and already has one of baseball's deepest farm system?

Its smart in that it doesn't matter to the Yankees. Them spending 3/35 on Soriano is like us spending 2/10 on him(or what we paid for Gregg).

Now, its not smart that they lost the pick but again, it doesn't matter to the Yankees. They just buy what they want and when you look at what is left out there and what they need to do to be good, this was a good move for them.

They are always trying to win right now and this move makes them a better team and makes them much harder to beat in the playoffs.

"It's almost a can't-win [contract] for the Yankees," one rival official mused. "There are so many ways for it to go wrong, and almost no way it can go well, aside from a one-year contribution."

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=6021139&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fblog%3fname%3dolney_buster%26id%3d602113

I couldn't agree more. I think this is up there for one of the worst decisions this offseason.

It depends on how you look at the decision.

If you look at in a vacuum and say, was it smart to lose a pick for a set up guy, even a potentially dominant one? The answer is no.

But if you look outside of that vacuum, see that the team that signed him is the Yankees, that the money doesn't matter and that they are trying to win right now, then the decision doesn't look as bad.

From our perspective, we have to hope Soriano's injury history becomes an issue and that this is a terrible contract for NY.

Archived