Soriano off the market.

weams

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were discussing on MLB radio the other day why no one was pushing to add Soriano in the off season. Also why the Braves and Rays were so willing to let a seemingly great arm walk. Can't remember who the host was, but he said rumors were his shoulder isn't in great shape and was kind of a flake about his IP. Who knows if this is true. But I find it interesting that the Yankees were so willing to go three years on a potential injury risk. If he stays healthy he and Mo are a nice 1-2 punch for the yanks. That said, they have to get the ball to the 8th first.

They were discussing on MLB radio the other day why no one was pushing to add Soriano in the off season. Also why the Braves and Rays were so willing to let a seemingly great arm walk. Can't remember who the host was, but he said rumors were his shoulder isn't in great shape and was kind of a flake about his IP. Who knows if this is true. But I find it interesting that the Yankees were so willing to go three years on a potential injury risk. If he stays healthy he and Mo are a nice 1-2 punch for the yanks. That said, they have to get the ball to the 8th first.

And in the playoffs, it will be give them the ball in innings 7-9.

And in the playoffs, it will be give them the ball in innings 7-9.

As a Yankees fan the years and money wouldn't bother me because they'll just spend their way out of this deal if he doesn't pan out. I'd just hope he doesn't get hurt in year one.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can feel different.

Wonder if Chamberlain comes back out of the pen, and gives them another option as a 5th starter. (Nothing to fear, but their rotation has looked thin.. and don't like them having additional options)

I know you post at Nyyfans too, check out their reaction if you don't know how anyone can feel different.

Right...Injury is the concern.

He should be a very good pitcher if he stays healthy.

Plus he's a contingency on Rivera. I think Cashman knows if Mo goes down they can't win games. He's signed for three years and they have time to try and rebuild their bullpen between now and then.

Now if they keep getting screwed on FA's then sure, this hurts...

But I don't see the Yankees continuing to get shut out. I just don't understand if they were going all in on a guy, why not pony up tons of cash for Lee. He just brings so much more value if you're going to burn away a pick.

I think it's a good move for them, but I just don't see why for Soriano, but not for Lee.

Before the signing, I thought the Yanks were potentially vulnerable this year.

The signing in my-mind goes a long way to countering a somewhat limited rotation.

Looking longer-term, you would think the fountain of youth ends for Rivera at some point. At his age it could happen overnight. This gives them great insurance there as well.

Yeah, this is sort of how I feel too. In a vacuum it is a very good signing if you don't account for how much the Yankees spent on Soriano, and honestly since it is the Yankees it doesn't really matter how much they spent. The middle of the lineup is scary and the top two starters are great but Yankee fans are just reacting to the fact that this is not the typical scary Yankee all-star roster of the last 15 years.

If the Yankees were going to move Joba to the rotation they would have done so already. I don't think he is much of an improvement over Nova and he is much better in the rotation where he can dial it up with every pitch.

Kudos to Scott Boras who proved once again why he is the greatest agent in the game, I don't know any other team that would have guaranteed Soriano even 70 percent as much money as the Yankees did, and he even got an opt-out for the off-chance that Soriano somehow exceeds 12 million dollars worth of value in either of the next two seasons.

The NYY picked up a superior relief pitcher. Who cares if they overpaid by a few $M. Soriano shortens the game while providing strong insurance if something happens to Rivera.

Still, the NYY increasingly are relying on over 30 ballplayers being healthy and productive. It was not an impressive team to finish 2010 and they've not improved much, IMO, swapping out APet and taking in Soriano.

NYY seems built to beat out their competition in the Central for the WC, but there sure seems to be some downside if CC, Tex, Cano or Arod gets hurt. Hughes logged a lot of IP last year and did not look so well at the end of last season and Burnett is due for an injury after several healthy seasons.

The NYY picked up a superior relief pitcher. Who cares if they overpaid by a few $M. Soriano shortens the game while providing strong insurance if something happens to Rivera.

Still, the NYY increasingly are relying on over 30 ballplayers being healthy and productive. It was not an impressive team to finish 2010 and they've not improved much, IMO, swapping out APet and taking in Soriano.

NYY seems built to beat out their competition in the Central for the WC, but there sure seems to be some downside if CC, Tex, Cano or Arod gets hurt. Hughes logged a lot of IP last year and did not look so well at the end of last season and Burnett is due for an injury after several healthy seasons.

Unless he gets hurt this year, the IP Hughes had last year will only make him stronger for this season.

Burnett is very likely the key to that team.

Unless he gets hurt this year, the IP Hughes had last year will only make him stronger for this season.

Burnett is very likely the key to that team.

Minn still made the playoffs with substantial time missed by Morneau. IMO, if CC or Cano gets hurt, it's not a playoff team unless they dump their farm for a replacement.

Minn still made the playoffs with substantial time missed by Morneau. IMO, if CC or Cano gets hurt, it's not a playoff team unless they dump their farm for a replacement.

Which they will.

And remember, this is a team that reportedly offered Montero for Soria. So, instead of losing their prospects, they lose a pick and get a comparable pitcher.

Smart move by NY IMO...Now, you will have shorter games...assuming of course that Soriano can stay healthy and perform.
You think that it's smart for the Yankees to pay a reliever nearly $12 mil per year for 3 years, and give up a first round pick - which Cashman swore he wouldn't do for any player other than Cliff Lee?

Okay...:rolleyes:

P.S. a first round pick to a division rival, which will also recieve a supplemental pick, and already has one of baseball's deepest farm system?

This is the Yankees, so the salary they are paying to Soriano is secondary. This gives them a shutdown guy for the 8th and insurance if Rivera finally hits the wall. So, I have no problem with what they are paying him. Giving up the draft pick is more debtatable.

Archived