Joe Jordan on Hobgood's selection: "I am due scrutiny on that."

weams

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/01/joe-jordan-on-the-hobgood-selection-i-am-due-scrutiny-on-that.html

"It is two-fold," Jordan said. "One, players have to do the work and work hard in the winter. I don't think it's debatable that he didn't do everything he needed to do going into camp last year. Two, I think there is a responsibility on our side. Whether it's the scouting staff to follow the programs they do in the winter - which we do - I don't know that we kept our fingers on this one as closely as we could have.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always boggled my mind that when the season is over prospects and pros basically are on their own until ST. While in the NFL they have minicamps monthly until July. I'm sorry, but a 19 year old with millions in his pocket unattended is a recipe for disaster. Sure there are some mature kids out there. But lord knows what i would have done at 19 with 4mm bucks.

You can argue the "told you so," "should've done XYZ" etc, but it is at least refreshing that Jordan will stand up there and say what he did.

I did not get that. To me he is putting a fair bit of the blame on Hobgood. Which while Hobgood perhaps deserves blame for his inaction, Jordan is the guy that saw a young man get into shape the winter before his Senior season, maintain that shape throughout the baseball season, and concluded that he was not a significant risk to backslide on fitness. Hobgood did not have a history of working hard and being in top shape, he peaked for his Senior year of high school. Jordan should have forseen the increased risk of conditioning issues down the road.

Orioles fans will always believe that Hobgood was a value pick and the Orioles will never admit it.

Who even cares? Hobgood isn't performing very well by any measure. He's not showing the velocity he had in high school, he's been out of shape, and now he has a shoulder issue (and he may have had that issue all along, I think). None of that relates to whether he was a "value pick." Even if he'd been drafted in the latter half of the first round, as many expected, his performance to date would be very disappointing and these issues would be major concerns.

This was the last sentence of Melewski's post:

Coming later today: Jordan on whether he has any regrets about the Hobgood selection and whether he was under any financial constraints in making the pick.

I'm assuming Jordan is just going to give stock answers and not drop any bombshells, but it will still be interesting to see how he spins it.

There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Last time I heard, Stephen Strasburg is not pitching in the majors in 2011 either.

And by the time he returns in 2012, even with a year off, he will have likely provided more value to WAS than any "hitting prospect" from his draft class has provided to their organization.

There is a lot more risk associated with pitchers, to be sure. But I think TINSTAAPP gets misused a fair amount. Of course there are pitching prospects. BAL's future success is almost entirely dependent on that fact (Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta, Britton, Bergesen, etc.).

Who even cares? Hobgood isn't performing very well by any measure. He's not showing the velocity he had in high school, he's been out of shape, and now he has a shoulder issue (and he may have had that issue all along, I think). None of that relates to whether he was a "value pick." Even if he'd been drafted in the latter half of the first round, as many expected, his performance to date would be very disappointing and these issues would be major concerns.

How does it not relate to whether or not he was a value pick? IIRC, didn't we sign him for less than a guy like Matzek? And Hobgood wasn't regarded nearly as well as Matzek or Wheeler...practically everyone and their little sister had those two ranked higher than Hobgood.

Therefore, Hobgood was a value pick in many of our eyes and we're seeing the consequences of it.

I don't understand how you can say "Who even cares?" as it relates to a value pick when he's the guy we're stuck with.

It's always boggled my mind that when the season is over prospects and pros basically are on their own until ST. While in the NFL they have minicamps monthly until July. I'm sorry, but a 19 year old with millions in his pocket unattended is a recipe for disaster. Sure there are some mature kids out there. But lord knows what i would have done at 19 with 4mm bucks.

I'm 30 years old, and you put 4 million in my bank account....there's gonna be some stupid decisions being made.

I agree with your post, I'm just saying....age is only slightly relevant ;)

This is all true, but it doesn't change the fact that the guys most say should have been chosen up there look like better picks.

I'm not piling on Jordan here. I'm still not as negative about the pick as most. That doesn't change general perception though.

Archived