Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Turn ugly" is not meant to be a terrible comment.  Sorry you took it that way.  Would "turn negative" be better? If he doesn't accept a trade the media will have a field day with this and will not leave him alone asking him questions.  I think that's why he didn't show up Saturday for the autograph session.  Everybody that would have spoken to him would probably have asked him if he was being traded. I am going to edit my post and say negative.

Ok, I'm all about trading rentals but let's be realistic with what he'd likely bring.

Would it help the team a bit? Sure. Is it going to seriously impact us most likely? Doubtful.

He's been here for 10 years, he deserves to have his choice with something like this.

39 minutes ago, section18 said:

"Turn ugly" is not meant to be a terrible comment.  Sorry you took it that way.  Would "turn negative" be better? If he doesn't accept a trade the media will have a field day with this and will not leave him alone asking him questions.  I think that's why he didn't show up Saturday for the autograph session.  Everybody that would have spoken to him would probably have asked him if he was being traded. I am going to edit my post and say negative.

I doubt he gets much if any negativity from media or fans. The national media is always on the Orioles case about something, and local media loves AJ. As for negative fan reaction...have you read some of the angry comments on other sites about trading Brad Brach? Many fans don't understand or care about the business side of baseball.

And the return they will get for Jones isn't worth stressing over either way.

2 hours ago, section18 said:

I hope this doesn't turn negative for AJ.  He is a great guy and I think could some day be the Oriole Manager.  If he accepts a deal I think he will stay in the good graces of everyone. I am not changing my opinion of him whether he accepts or rejects a trade.  I think he can improve his negotiating power for a 2019 contract by playing for a playoff or world series contender. He will get to showcase his talent and more people will hear him interviewed.  He's always a great interview and I think he will be on mlb network or ESPN when his playing days are over. He should not end his time with  the Orioles FO and fans in a bad way after being a fan favorite for many years..

Why do you think Adam Jones wants to be a baseball manager? He could improve his 2019 contract by getting his OPS up.  He can do that anywhere.  I think more likely to turn negative towards Orioles management.  This isn't Kim we are talking about.  We are talking about the face of the Orioles Franchise for the last 12 years.   And has a .285 average it isn't like he is bating .155 or something.   Really I don't understand why you guys are coming up with these insane posts about the situation.  Why do you want him gone so badly?  Maybe some introspection about your own life is in order. 

AJ has the right to decide if he finishes out the year with the club or not. I’m not one for denying anyone their rights, especially if he earned it while being the face of the franchise and a valuable member of the community over the past decade. As @Dark Helmet said above, the potential return (an AAAA player?) isn’t worth fretting about. We’re not talking Lux or Rodgers here.

For years it seemed like so few FA candidates wanted to wear an Orioles uniform. How can we get upset if #10 decides he wants to wear his for a few extra months?

I don't want him gone so badly as you state.  He is my favorite Oriole.  AJ is a smart guy.  In the past players have been offered something ( money) to waive a no trade clause. Is he looking for a piece of the pie? If we save as a writer said $7.2 million with this deal is Adam thinking give me a mill or two of that money? Save 5 million let's say and get one or two prospects back for him? Wherever he goes he will have expenses for his family whether it's living in a luxury hotel or month to month condo. Philly is a different story but he will still have expenses living there short term and maybe longer if he signs with them in the off season. He can keep an eye on things in Baltimore easily if he signs with them next year.  One of the writers who said he hasn't accepted a deal yet said something like at this time he hasn't accepted a deal leaving open the possibility.  He is already a multi-millionaire but probably wants some of that $7.2 million the Orioles would save.  How much will it take to sway him to accept the deal? 1 or 2 million? Part of the money needed to pay for Cal Ripken's house. I believe he was to settle/close on his house in July.  He may already have closed on it and it's holding him back. It's a beautiful home he'll probably move into and live in when on the east coast. He's already said he understands why it makes sense to trade a player like him in the final months of his contract for players to help the team and then coming back to sign with the same team.  It doesn't sound like that's guaranteed at the moment. 

This is deeper than just this trade deadline. This is Adam realizing he’s done here. His dinner with the owner’s son could have been for a handshake agreement that The O’s would match any FA deal and bring him back. Which isn’t likely. 

So now that he knows he’s not coming back, he’s getting an extra head start on taking care of things to set up for life not in Baltimore. 

According to Schmuck it sounds like the O's are ready to move on from Jones. 

He was asked pointedly if it was possible Jones would be with the club next season.

“His contract is up,” Duquette said. “I don’t know whether Adam will be here or not, but the club is going in the direction of younger ballplayers. I can tell you that.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-are-moving-away-from-adam-jones-20180729-story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+baltimoresun%2Fsports%2Fmotorracing%2Frss2+(Auto+Racing)

7 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Adam should do what he wants. He's earned that right. His friends should either encourage him to follow his heart or STFU. I appreciate everything Adam has done for the Orioles and the city. It's his move.

Agree its not an issue if he wants to stay this year other than missing a chance of going to the playoffs, which he doesn't seem to mind missing out on. I would still be surprised if they dont offer him a team friendly deal, or a QO if his production starts going up.  

8 hours ago, section18 said:

I hope this doesn't turn negative for AJ.  He is a great guy and I think could some day be the Oriole Manager.  If he accepts a deal I think he will stay in the good graces of everyone. I am not changing my opinion of him whether he accepts or rejects a trade.  I think he can improve his negotiating power for a 2019 contract by playing for a playoff or world series contender. He will get to showcase his talent and more people will hear him interviewed.  He's always a great interview and I think he will be on mlb network or ESPN when his playing days are over. He should not end his time with  the Orioles FO and fans in a bad way after being a fan favorite for many years..

That's just flat out wrong. AJ has the perfect right to make the decision he did.  I don't know why some fans are upset  at AJ with the decision he has made?  My gosh it's his life. 

I also fear that the Jones / Orioles relationship will end with acrimony. Whether it ends in the next 36 hours or during the offseason, I hope it ends with the same class and dignity that we have seen with Machado, Britton and Brach. I don't want this to wind up like the Murray trade or Mussina departure.  

Archived