Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

The moving the family thing gets me. It's only 2+ months. It's not like he is home every night at 6p to have dinner with the kids. He is on the road two weeks or so of every month during the summer as is.

Then after those 2 months, he gets to move them again to a new city. It's not just one move. He's likely not returning to Baltimore.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think AJ with support from Buck and his love of veterans has gotten a little delusional.

No competitive team is going to sign him to be anything but a 4th OF'er / outfield depth position. Looks like his hope is that Brady doesn't lose all influence and brings him back on a deal only the O's would offer

Dang AJ if you are confident in your abilities you could have gone to Philly and earned your playing time

Now who thinks Buck will move him to right and limit his playing time to give more time to the youngsters?

I think the DD/Buck/Brady power struggle will be on display front and center on how AJ is handled for the remainder of the season.

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

No way.  The market has changed, even from when Markakis signed his Atl deal.  Look at last offseason where guys, especially 30 and up, couldn't get signed.  Jones will be lucky to get 2/16 IMO.

I'd bring him back as the 4th outfielder in a heartbeat rather than the Gentry, Rasmus, Huff, etc. carousel we've had out there.  

Just now, Dipper9 said:

I'd bring him back as the 4th outfielder in a heartbeat rather than the Gentry, Rasmus, Huff, etc. carousel we've had out there.  

Not on a rebuilding team, and not with his history here.  I think he'd have a hard time accepting being the 4th OFer coming back here on a rebuilding team, vice a new team better positioned to compete in 2019.  Better to move on.

14 minutes ago, esmd said:

No way.  The market has changed, even from when Markakis signed his Atl deal.  Look at last offseason where guys, especially 30 and up, couldn't get signed.  Jones will be lucky to get 2/16 IMO.

Yep and I can see him going unsigned late into the off-season and maybe even into the season.I think where he actually is and where he is are a long ways apart.

5 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Sure if he would play for or near the ML minimum, no way give him a multi year deal, but perhaps someone would give him a 1/5 if he accepts that he is not a starter.

He just can't run anymore, and that's kind of a pre-requisite for an OF'er

If I'm Adam Jones, I'm absolutely thinking I can be the next Torii Hunter. What he needs to do is make that move to corner outfield soon. But Torii produced pretty consistently until near age 40. 

Torii might be a rare one to be able to have that longevity but if I'm Adam, I have no reason to doubt my ability to keep it going. He's been pretty consistent year to year. 

I don't blame him for refusing 4th OF role. I'd be looking for a starting corner outfielder job to see if I can shake that for a while first. 

34 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

He could've been that on a contending team this year.  After all the lobbying he did to ownership to spend money and sign guys like Davis, I don't think he'll be content on a rebuilding team.  Having said that, if he leaves, he loses his 10-5, and his family can be uprooted at any time, so we'll see what's important to him then.  Note to Adam, no, I won't "shut the hell up," no matter how many times you say it.

55 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

The moving the family thing gets me. It's only 2+ months. It's not like he is home every night at 6p to have dinner with the kids. He is on the road two weeks or so of every month during the summer as is.

Why should that get to you? Its AJ's business. A mans private life is his own. 

38 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

If I'm Adam Jones, I'm absolutely thinking I can be the next Torii Hunter. What he needs to do is make that move to corner outfield soon. But Torii produced pretty consistently until near age 40. 

Torii might be a rare one to be able to have that longevity but if I'm Adam, I have no reason to doubt my ability to keep it going. He's been pretty consistent year to year. 

I don't blame him for refusing 4th OF role. I'd be looking for a starting corner outfielder job to see if I can shake that for a while first. 

The last few years he's been consistent in his decline.

wRC+: 127, 119, 117, 111, 97, 107, 100 (so far)

fWAR: 4.4, 4.9, 4.7, 3.4, 1.9 , 1.7, 0.4 (so far)

It's a pretty clear downward trend.

I’m sorry, I really don’t understand how DD is in the wrong here and I don’t really like Jones trying to paint him as a bad guy. He asked him 5 days before the deadline presumably because he waited until he had a deal he thought was good enough to even approach Adam. I don’t see how that’s a bad thing. Also, let’s be very clear, AJ is not getting a deal like Markakis got. There is no market out there for players in their 30s on the decline. Not anymore.

Also, something that people really don’t like to reckon with is that Adam Jones does not take great care of his body. He’s aging badly because he doesn’t take fitness or dieting very seriously and unabashedly talks about eating whatever he wants. That’s fine, but getting fat every offseason (which he does) and having to shave that weight off before the season is not good for your body. He’s not much older than players like Lorenzo Cain and McCutchen and they have all retained their speed and agility WAY better than Adam.

It's hard for me to believe that none of the 30 MLB teams would be better off with Jones in a corner OF spot.   I think it's totally wrong to peg him as only valuable as a reserve player going forward.

The Orioles would be.........for one.   :)

Archived