Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

It's hard for me to believe that none of the 30 MLB teams would be better off with Jones in a corner OF spot.   I think it's totally wrong to peg him as only valuable as a reserve player going forward.

The Orioles would be.........for one.   :)

Cleveland in particular, although they decided to go the cheaper route. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Aglets said:

It's hard for me to believe that none of the 30 MLB teams would be better off with Jones in a corner OF spot.   I think it's totally wrong to peg him as only valuable as a reserve player going forward. 

Not at the price he thinks he deserves. I see him going unsigned till very late in ST next year, if he gets lucky some team has a rash of injuries and gives him a 2 year deal for maybe 10-12 million. He is basically a replacement level player.

18 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

The last few years he's been consistent in his decline.

wRC+: 127, 119, 117, 111, 97, 107, 100 (so far)

fWAR: 4.4, 4.9, 4.7, 3.4, 1.9 , 1.7, 0.4 (so far)

It's a pretty clear downward trend.

He's either a 4th outfielder or DH or right fielder on a bad team

25 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

The last few years he's been consistent in his decline.

wRC+: 127, 119, 117, 111, 97, 107, 100 (so far)

fWAR: 4.4, 4.9, 4.7, 3.4, 1.9 , 1.7, 0.4 (so far)

It's a pretty clear downward trend.

I don't agree all the way. He had a good year OPS wise last year and could finish this year strong. I definitely think his athleticism is on the decline, but that's why you see how he is in RF. I gotta imagine he'd be pretty good out there. I also think it's reasonable to wonder if he lost some edge with us being so bad out of the gate. 

I think it'd be silly if he doesn't get a 2 year deal. Plus he even said on the podcast how he loves to mentor. I would be totally cool with him in RF on a 2 year deal. 

1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

A good recap from Meoli: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-adam-jones-sabathia-podcast-20180802-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#

Link to the podcast directly: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/r2c2-is-uninterrupted/id1384767525?mt=2

A lot of interesting comments in this interview. Most notably, he all but confirmed Philadelphia wanted him to be a 4th outfielder/platoon player and he didn't see that as a fit. He also apparently didn't like some of the comments Dan Duquette made leading up to the deadline. He also talks about the possibility of changing positions and his expectations for the rest of the season in regards to his playing time and role. It's a good listen.

Thank you for posting this by the way. I really enjoyed listening to it. Adam is always honest and I appreciate that. He's a funny dude too. 

24 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I'm pretty certain he'll be able to find everyday work. I don't think it should be for the Orioles and I don't think it will be on a contender. I also think he's going to be surprised at the offers he gets.

1 hour ago, Chromehill said:

I think they should listen to Jones and bring Mullins up and let him play everyday for the next two months.  Like Jones said, he can relearn to play right field and increase his value (his words).  I do object a little to Jones complaining about the O's not approaching him waiving his 10/5 rights until 5 days before the deadline, wishes it was in early July.  Come on AJ, you knew the situation, you and the wife should have been having that discussion about possibly moving in early July and what teams could be a good fit, didn't need DD asking in late July to start that discussion.

Duquette's interview during Tuesday night's game certainly seemed to indicate that Mullins would be up VERY soon.

7 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I'm pretty certain he'll be able to find everyday work. I don't think it should be for the Orioles and I don't think it will be on a contender. I also think he's going to be surprised at the offers he gets.

I think the Padres could be a good fit for him. Back home. 

I cant find the thread about Jones friends telling him to accept the trade, but in that thread there was discussion about "I hope this doesn't turn ugly."  And then some posters of course lambasted that guy for even suggesting such a thing.

Well, here we are a few days later, and it is turning ugly.  Jones disgruntled with DD, media, and the fans.  DD disgruntled with Jones for not accepting the trade.  Fans disgruntled with Jones about staying, and others saying he won't even find a job next year.

Yes friends, it has already turned ugly and we have just started August.  Just wait until Mullins comes up and Jones is asked to take on a lesser role.  

Its ugly, and its gonna get worse. 

9 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I wonder how many of these guys (especially O's players) look at the lifetime achievement award contracts that were given to Hardy, Davis, O'day and Trumbo and wonder why the gravy train missed them? I mean Jones is still better than all those guys were during the years of their contracts. Life aint always fair and baseball contracts don't really make much sense, especially the ones given out by PA/Brady/Buck 3 headed monster.

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

I wonder how many of these guys (especially O's players) look at the lifetime achievement award contracts that were given to Hardy, Davis, O'day and Trumbo and wonder why the gravy train missed them? I mean Jones is still better than all those guys were during the years of their contracts. Life aint always fair and baseball contracts don't really make much sense, especially the ones given out by PA/Brady/Buck 3 headed monster.

If the O's were even slightly decent this year, my guess is Jones would have received that three year lifetime achievement award.  The fact that we sucked THIS bad and decided to blow it up means there is nowhere for him on a young rebuilding team.  So, in a sense, its his teammates utter and colossal failure that hurts his chances of coming back. 

1 minute ago, Dipper9 said:

If the O's were even slightly decent this year, my guess is Jones would have received that three year lifetime achievement award.  The fact that we sucked THIS bad and decided to blow it up means there is nowhere for him on a young rebuilding team.  So, in a sense, its his teammates utter and colossal failure that hurts his chances of coming back.  

Very true.... and CD and Trumbo still keep cashing their checks. Sucks for AJ and the fans. I'd really like to see Buck and Brady off the payroll. That would give me some hope that this re-build has a chance.

Archived