Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

18 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

My gut has been saying that he would come back with the O's next year.

After reading those comments, my gut has reversed course, he's done as and O, and will either be traded, or leaves via FA.

It seems unlikely that there is a fit. But I think the podcast quotes read harsher than it actually sounded like listening to it, IMO. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TouchemAll said:

My gut has been saying that he would come back with the O's next year.

After reading those comments, my gut has reversed course, he's done as and O, and will either be traded, or leaves via FA.

I think he will want to extend but I don't think the Os are on the same page. A week was plenty enough time around the deadline. Jones knows the team is buried, proclaimed a rebuild, and said they were attempting to move veteran free agent to be pieces. To ignore all that and place your head  in the sand was foolish on his part....or perhaps his ego.

Either way I think his attitude sucks and I've changed my mind about wanting him to stay. 

Get his blessing asap if he will give it an move him on a waiver trade, and if somebody claims him let them have him and what's left of his overpriced salary.

This was a great Podcast. It may not be what some people want to hear, but it's really good insight into the thought processes of a major league ball player. 

These guys are people. And Adam is right. He doesn't owe the Orioles anything. He's got a contract. He's got a family. He's not a soldier. And no one can say he's not lived up to his contract.  He's been a phenomenal Oriole on the field and off it. And he's been an awesome role model who transcends all demographics.

He sounds like he's upset at the O's, but doesn't come off like a spoiled brat. He's got a respect for the game, how to play it right -- and he talks about his mentors. (Mark McClemore. Which I thought was interesting. Another O's castoff from another era.)

It's also a nice peek into his friendship with CC Sabathia, who sounds like a trip.

And he's right. Bubbies is a dope breakfast spot in NY.

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think he will want to extend but I don't think the Os are on the same page. A week was plenty enough time around the deadline. Jones knows the team is buried, proclaimed a rebuild, and said they were attempting to move veteran free agent to be pieces. To ignore all that and place your head  in the sand was foolish on his part....or perhaps his ego.

Either way I think his attitude sucks and I've changed my mind about wanting him to stay. 

Get his blessing asap if he will give it an move him on a waiver trade, and if somebody claims him let them have him and what's left of his overpriced salary.

I think you need to listen to this podcast. It's easy to pick out a few quotes from a 50 minute conversation that out of full context paint Jones as angry -- and make for good fodder for web chat. But listen to this guy talk about the game, how much he loves it. Listen to him talk about just watching baseball and the playoffs. 

If you don't want to listen to the whole thing, listen starting at the 40 minute mark.

https://www.uninterrupted.com/podcasts/4QU0GTlhv2ACoUsGSYiSmG/r-2-c-2

15 minutes ago, Santandah said:

I think you need to listen to this podcast. It's easy to pick out a few quotes from a 50 minute conversation that out of full context paint Jones as angry -- and make for good fodder for web chat. But listen to this guy talk about the game, how much he loves it. Listen to him talk about just watching baseball and the playoffs. 

If you don't want to listen to the whole thing, listen starting at the 40 minute mark.

https://www.uninterrupted.com/podcasts/4QU0GTlhv2ACoUsGSYiSmG/r-2-c-2

Agreed. The quotes may read angry or bitter but he doesn't sound that way when he's actually talking. I recommend everyone actually listen.

I love the dude and harbor absolutely no ill will towards him as a human being. I just don't believe in his skills as a productive baseball player going forward.

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

Agreed. The quotes may read angry or bitter but he doesn't sound that way when he's actually talking. I recommend everyone actually listen.

I love the dude and harbor absolutely no ill will towards him as a human being. I just don't believe in his skills as a productive baseball player going forward.

I really hate to say this, but I think that some posters on this site dislike Adam Jones for reasons that have nothing to do with baseball...

They're jealous that he bought Cal's house.

43 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Sort of reminds me of how I initially felt about his quotes in print before I saw his recent videotape interview where he said to the reporters “until you pay my bills ...” and I thought it sounded defensive, snippy and harsh. But the actual tone of his voice was much more measured. I think tone of voice and context are important.  And hearing now about how he didn’t want to be a fourth outfielder in Philly coloring his FA offers over the winter, I appreciate his stance more. And yes, I think he’s trending down in his skills due to age. I’d not be dead set against him coming back for a year, maybe two max, as a corner outfielder or DH, but not at the expense of the new guys. But it seems the bridges, if not yet burned, are really hot to the touch. I think his future anywhere now is as a COF or a fourth OF. All that said,  Dan has every right to spell out the team direction if he’s been given the reigns. Not convinced Adam’s a fit in Baltimore. The team leadership / mentoring issue has been bounded about online, not really here, but on other social media and I’m not convinced that’s as big a factor as it’s made out to be. Seems more a selling / PR point for the player himself saying that, not for the team itself. Leadership, whether it was Adam, Gandhi, Gen. Patton or John Wayne could not have saved the 2018 Orioles.  

I don't think Jones necessarily has to be a 4th OF at this point. I think he can still be a regular, so long as he agrees to move to a corner outfield slot and to maximize his defense there. He also needs to work on diversifying his offensive game. At his age, there is no way he can have the same success hacking at everything that he had five years ago. If he were a little more selective, it would buy him some time. He doesn't have to become Joey Votto, but he has to learn how to take a few more pitches. 

8 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I don't think Jones necessarily has to be a 4th OF at this point. I think he can still be a regular, so long as he agrees to move to a corner outfield slot and to maximize his defense there. He also needs to work on diversifying his offensive game. At his age, there is no way he can have the same success hacking at everything that he had five years ago. If he were a little more selective, it would buy him some time. He doesn't have to become Joey Votto, but he has to learn how to take a few more pitches. 

A tiger cannot change its stripes.

4 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Sure if he would play for or near the ML minimum, no way give him a multi year deal, but perhaps someone would give him a 1/5 if he accepts that he is not a starter.

He just can't run anymore, and that's kind of a pre-requisite for an OF'er

I know Jones still thinks he is a starting OF on a playoff team.  He needs to accept he is a backup/bench player on a good team or a starter/place holder for a prospect on a bad team.  He might get 2 years/10 mill.  He's probably thinking he'll get 4 years/60 mill.

Archived