Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, there is no way you can watch that video, and watch baseball on a regular basis (meaning this is not the first/ only time he has done that) and honestly say that Upton's attitude is similar to Jones'. Jones has an issue or two, but he has never done that.

The both have issues. We can argue about the degree forever, but neither of them are angels. Both of them are at a crossroad of fulfilling their potential.

Upton - Speed, OPS, and DEF

Jones - Potential power

As I said before, flip a coin.

How about Jones refusing to stop playing so shallow in CF until recently. That would equate to possibly a bad attitude.

I am betting we would be putting a different spin on things if they were on opposite teams.

I think both are about the same in overall value. Trying not to be a homer, which we all have a tendency to do for good reasons.

That's not an attitude on Jones' part, it's a belief (on his part) that he is more effective playing up. Jones doesn't lack hustle. If I was Madden I would have benched Upton on the spot followed with an indefinite suspension, perhaps a stint in AAA. That was a reminder of Alex Johnson.

That's not an attitude on Jones' part, it's a belief (on his part) that he is more effective playing up. Jones doesn't lack hustle. If I was Madden I would have benched Upton on the spot followed with an indefinite suspension, perhaps a stint in AAA. That was a reminder of Alex Johnson.

You could say it is stubbornness or doesn't take to coaching. However you want to spin it. Since we both don't know Jones or BJ personally, lets stick to facts aka stats.

You could say it is stubbornness or doesn't take to coaching. However you want to spin it. Since we both don't know Jones or BJ personally, lets stick to facts aka stats.
You could also call it a glass of apple juice if you want to play word games. If you can't see the difference in what Upton did and what Jones does you should probably do a little reading on group behavior. Did you happen to notice Longoria's reaction?

Again, see "Alex Johnson".

I voted Kemp, Upton, McCutchen, and Rasmus. After locking in that vote I may have changed my mind to add Jackson, but I'm not completely sold. Jackson's BABIP was ridculously high last year and that OBP will come down if he doesn't hit near .300 again. He was pretty pedestrian after a scorching April. He does play better D though.

I'm not sure how anyone can defend not voting for McCutchen and Rasmus at the very least.

Jones will never be a +30 defender, and I really hope that he does not lose his hit and power tools over night.

They are very different players.

Gutierrez will probably never be a +30 defender, either. He's been a +30, +20, and +7 in '09, '08, and '10. You might be able to pencil him in as a +15, which is excellent, but that's barely making up for his offensive shortcomings and age difference compared to Jones.

And Upton had never done that before he did it there.

One or two incidents does not a player make.

I think its close as to which player is preferable. I haven't really looked at the stats to know yet.

BJ Upton has a fantastic 2007. An alright 2008 and worse 2009 and a bad 2010.

As for OPS.

Three seasons in BAL Jones OPS .757

Six seasons in TB Upton OPS .758

I would trade him for Kemp, Rasmus, or McCutchen without much debate.

Granderson and Rios were slightly intriguing, but I wouldn't trade Jones for either of them mainly because they are both four years older than Jones, who is now 25.

The closest call for me was probably Upton, but I decided not to vote for him because I think Jones is more likely to improve from where he is now, whereas Upton is likely to continue his recent averages.

Finally, I didn't vote for Denard Span, but the fact that he has so few votes surprises me and makes me think that many people don't realize how good he was in 2008 and 2009-- I sure didn't until I looked him up just now. The guy struggled last year but had a .305 average and .390 OBP in those two years, which is very valuable, especially since many people prioritize contact over power for the CF position.

Upton is more likely to carry the higher OBP and that is a huge difference between the 2.

Which one? The 2007, 2008 vintage or the 2009/2010 vintage. There's a big difference between the two.

EDIT: I feel like I saw something where the Dodgers were considering moving Kemp to LF. I believe it was a part of the Thames article.

Archived