Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, weams said:

In a subsequent FaceTime call with Goncalves during an Orioles' team flight to Texas, Jones said, "I want to see the next generation get an opportunity to succeed. Me being a black man trying to integrate more African-Americans into baseball, this was a no-brainer.''

Jones' representatives at CAA Sports were in contact with Little League officials and finalized the details Friday. Barnes said the team had already received $15,000 in contributions before Jones became involved. Some of the funds were contributed by competing Little Leagues in the area. He said the surplus created by Jones' contribution will go toward enhancing future participation. The Mamie Johnson League players come from less-than-affluent circumstances, Barnes said, and the league charges only $20 to players' families as an initiation fee.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AJ earned his 10/5 rights and I'm not one bit upset he utilized them. 1. He wasn't bringing back anything of significance to the future in my opinion. 2. He's a fantastic human being who has done a lot for the organization and community and he's not going to hurt our chances moving forward by not accepting a trade. There is a multi year deal out there for him. there is a much better chance the comp pick will be more valuable than what the Phillies were offering for a guy they planned to platoon.

14 minutes ago, Malike said:

AJ earned his 10/5 rights and I'm not one bit upset he utilized them. 1. He wasn't bringing back anything of significance to the future in my opinion. 2. He's a fantastic human being who has done a lot for the organization and community and he's not going to hurt our chances moving forward by not accepting a trade. There is a multi year deal out there for him. there is a much better chance the comp pick will be more valuable than what the Phillies were offering for a guy they planned to platoon.

There will be no comp pick. If he were extended a qualifying offer, he would quickly accept it. He's not getting anywhere near that AAV.

1 hour ago, Tycho Brahe said:

Love Adam Jones, but his story is one that has played out in MLB for a hundred years, and it always ends the same. Either a player recognizes his declining skills and accepts some concessions from his team, or he tends to move on to another team and....what happens turns out to be even worse for him, since he has to earn the respect of the new team and its fans', whereas he HAD the respect of the old team and its fans. And that's hard to do when you're 33 or 34 years old and you can't run.

What Jones should do is willingly accept a lesser role on the field, whether that's moving to RF, becoming a DH (why isn't that being discussed?), or even being a 4th OF, with the old-tyme idea that he mentors young players and then moves on into coaching. That's how the system used to work with players of Adam's intelligence and personal skills. As for the O's, their concession is to give him a 2-year deal for not a ton of money, because it's clear that, if he walks at the end of the season, he's going to likely get a 1-year deal for not a lot of money and then nobody will ever hear of him again, like JJ Hardy (who isn't even playing right now). He's "our" Adam in Baltimore, but who would he be in, say, Arizona? Just another aging player for their fans to bitch about. I hope Adam recognizes this.

Speaking of which, Hardy would also make a good coach/manager. But that's another thread.

Because a league average hitter has negative value as a DH.

2 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

There will be no comp pick. If he were extended a qualifying offer, he would quickly accept it. He's not getting anywhere near that AAV.

I disagree. I think he'd value a multi-year deal over a one year deal. Plus, I think he'd be less inclined to stay with the O's because he would likely end up a bench player in the corner outfield. He's a prideful man, I don't think it's all about the money for him.

Just now, Malike said:

I disagree. I think he'd value a multi-year deal over a one year deal. Plus, I think he'd be less inclined to stay with the O's because he would likely end up a bench player in the corner outfield. He's a prideful man, I don't think it's all about the money for him.

I'd be willing to wager a significant amount on it. The QO is going to be around 1/18. I honestly think there is a chance Adam doesn't get a multi year deal that totals more than that, much less on a per year basis. He and his agent would have to jump at a QO. There's a reason Philly wanted him to be a 4th outfielder behind Nick Williams. 

Just now, Babypowder said:

I'd be willing to wager a significant amount on it. The QO is going to be around 1/18. I honestly think there is a chance Adam doesn't get a multi year deal that totals more than that, much less on a per year basis. He and his agent would have to jump at a QO. There's a reason Philly wanted him to be a 4th outfielder behind Nick Williams. 

We will see.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

We will see.

I hope you are right.  But I think Babypower is. 

But let's run this out....

Your AJ's agent and the O's give you a QO of 1/18.

Your'e gonna tell him he is worth more than that and advise him to turn it down.  He says are you sure?  What do think I can get?

To turn it down I would think you expect somewhere at 3/30 or better.....It's a tough call.  But at 1 WAR a year isn't 3/24 still a risk?  Im a GM for one of the 29 other teams.  Sell me.

33 minutes ago, Malike said:

I saw the original tweet saying they made the playoffs but couldn't come up with the 10,000 dollars to fund the trip. Jones literally tweeted right after it, tell me how I can help. He's a man of his word, that's for sure.

Yes he is. I personally don't care what the AJ chooses to do. Its his life.

10 minutes ago, foxfield said:

To turn it down I would think you expect somewhere at 3/30 or better.....It's a tough call.  But at 1 WAR a year isn't 3/24 still a risk?  Im a GM for one of the 29 other teams.  Sell me.

Honestly can't do it. Talking about a guy in Jones with diminishing power and free falling defense who was never an OBP standout. He's basically a borderline starter going forward.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Jones' representatives at CAA Sports were in contact with Little League

2 hours ago, crawjo said:

Then he won't be playing MLB as long as he seems to think he will. 

Sure he will. Trumbo is in the major leagues this year and next and Jones is better player than Trumbo. I don't know why people have to hate on our players and our former players.  We signed Colby Rasmus to a 3 million dollar deal a guy who quit on his team last year and has a bad hip.   Valencia is in the league for how many years and he doesn't even have a position.  Come on be realistic. 

47 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I hope you are right.  But I think Babypower is. 

But let's run this out....

Your AJ's agent and the O's give you a QO of 1/18.

Your'e gonna tell him he is worth more than that and advise him to turn it down.  He says are you sure?  What do think I can get?

I don't think you can give Adam a qualifying offer. He certainly won't get 50 million on the market. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I don't think you can give Adam a qualifying offer. He certainly won't get 50 million on the market. 

You can if you want him to play for you next year and pay him 18 million dollars. 

Archived