2011 Ticket prices raised

eddie83

Here are some words from the O's director of communications. While he doesn't have to give the fans a reason, it would still be nice. I can't help but read his words and think that they're raising prices because they can. Have a successful regular season this year (not just a successful off season) and then raise ticket prices.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/01/orioles_raise_singlegame_ticke.html

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Inflation is irrelevant in this case as a reason to raise ticket prices.

They raised ticket prices because they believe they can maximize revenues at the higher price point. Simple as that. If they thought the max revenue point was at an average ticket price of $0.50 they'd charge that, and if they thought it was at $400 they'd charge that.

Fine, don't go. We don't care.

I didn't think you could chase away fans faster than you have been for the last decade or so. I guess I stand corrected.

But I am a lifelong fan and I'm not going away. I am also not going to sugar coat the faults of the organization. It absolutely kills me that the other teams in our division want to win more than we do, and therefore are willing to do what has to be done to make it happen. And we don't. And you are telling me that if I am not content with that I should just shut up and go away, like the tens of thousands of former fans that no longer even care. The kind of people they need less of are the ones that have kept telling them for the last decade that they are doing the right thing and have been justified in their actions.

They raised ticket prices because they believe they can maximize revenues at the higher price point. Simple as that. If they thought the max revenue point was at an average ticket price of $0.50 they'd charge that, and if they thought it was at $400 they'd charge that.

Thank you. The idea that they had to raise prices to keep up with inflation makes no sense in this industry. However, for their strategy to work, a lot will have to go right. More than we have a right to expect. Vlad would help. But if they aren't around .500 by 6/1, they won't draw anybody at 1983 prices, especially if the CBA gets done with the NFL by then.

The Orioles might just think that anybody that has been blindly loyal enough to stick with them through all this will pay whatever they say. Judging by BaltimoreTerps' post, they might be right.

Thank you. The idea that they had to raise prices to keep up with inflation makes no sense in this industry. However, for their strategy to work, a lot will have to go right. More than we have a right to expect. Vlad would help. But if they aren't around .500 by 6/1, they won't draw anybody at 1983 prices, especially if the CBA gets done with the NFL by then.

The Orioles might just think that anybody that has been blindly loyal enough to stick with them through all this will pay whatever they say. Judging by BaltimoreTerps' post, they might be right.

1) If you assume they're constantly adjusting their max revenue calculation, you'd also have to assume inflation would be an input to that.

2) Fans pay to see wins, not names.

3) I have no idea why you think the Orioles or BaltimoreTerp thinks the fans would pay whatever they say. No team bases ticket prices to placate angry fans. They base them on what will maximize revenues, even if that makes guys like you more angry.

Didn't you just say that you are still going to go to games, no matter what?

I mean, which is worse: the blind being led to some disaster, or those who have perfect sight and scream about it as they follow anyway?

One thing I found interesting, that I don't believe has been discussed, is that according to the Orioles their walk-ups were essentially unaffected by the additional fee on game-day purchases.

Despite all of the B&Ming here and elsewhere about how people would stop making the decision to just go to a game, it sounds like it didn't matter.

Didn't you just say that you are still going to go to games, no matter what?

I mean, which is worse: the blind being led to some disaster, or those who have perfect sight and scream about it as they follow anyway?

I had a 13 game plan through 2006, my schedule changed and I only go 3-5 times a year now. I catch the last 7 innings every night on TV. So I guess the Orioles are my crack pipe.

I mean, who would you rather be, someone asleep for the duration of flight 93 on 9/11, or one of the people that rushed the cockpit and forced the plane down into a field, instead of into a major city and potentially killing thousands of people?

I had a 13 game plan through 2006, my schedule changed and I only go 3-5 times a year now. I catch the last 7 innings every night on TV. So I guess the Orioles are my crack pipe.

I mean, who would you rather be, someone asleep for the duration of flight 93 on 9/11, or one of the people that rushed the cockpit and forced the plane down into a field, instead of into a major city and potentially killing thousands of people?

That officially took this thread down an unexpected and bizarre rabbit hole.

Um...yeah. There's literally no response to that.

And that's not a good thing for whatever you've decided you are arguing.

This is totally worse than Godwin's law. Just...wow.

double-facepalm.jpg

Wow, no class at all.

Archived