So, before the season start,who do you want the O's to take?

What are their concerns?

Long hitchy swing and poor approach -- very poor with two strikes. Sizeable holes and chance he has trouble with contact rate against better pitching. A little raw defensively but he should be able to iron that out and turn into a good right fielder.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but I thought he was a high 90's arm.

I have seen reports of him touching 97 before, but he sits generally in the low 90's. He has physical projection as well which I am sure makes some think that could add some more velocity as he fills in more.

And that could be Gerrit Cole you are thinking of. He pitches 95-98 and maintains his velocity very well. Also has a good changeup and slider......

Still worthy of top 5 consideration, I'd wager.

If you're talking about Springer, it depends on your philosophy. There are some organizations that may not have him on their draft list at all. I would personally consider him a 5-12 guy right now.

If you're talking about Springer, it depends on your philosophy. There are some organizations that may not have him on their draft list at all. I would personally consider him a 5-12 guy right now.

I think he was talking about Jungmann.....

Can't wait for the college season to start so we can start following these guys again.

I think he was talking about Jungmann.....

Can't wait for the college season to start so we can start following these guys again.

I'd assume Jungmann scores well on most boards. Have heard some voice concerns about consistency of breaking ball. I saw him throw a crazy "Screw Change" that looked uncomfy on the arm but was simply filthy. Not sure if he is still throwing it with regularity.

College season will be great this year. I already planned my first trip -- out to SoCal for six days and catching (hopefully) 10 games.

My first choice is obviously Matt Purke. Love his stuff, love his WHIP, high K-rate, good mechanics. He will likely be gone by the time the Orioles select at #4. The only way he drops is if the Pirates go for a signability pick, or if a high school phenom just rockets up the charts to displace one of Cole, Purke, Rendon from the top 3.

My second choice would be Danny Hultzen from Virginia. He may seem like a reach but I love his great control, fluid mechanics, and secondary stuff. Bonus: he's from Bethesda. I think he's greatly underappreciated and will be one of the best college lefties coming out of the first round. His velocity is acceptable (89-91 range), but his scouting report touts his curve and slider as both being plus pitches. I'm completely sold on him.

My first choice is obviously Matt Purke. Love his stuff, love his WHIP, high K-rate, good mechanics. He will likely be gone by the time the Orioles select at #4. The only way he drops is if the Pirates go for a signability pick, or if a high school phenom just rockets up the charts to displace one of Cole, Purke, Rendon from the top 3.

My second choice would be Danny Hultzen from Virginia. He may seem like a reach but I love his great control, fluid mechanics, and secondary stuff. Bonus: he's from Bethesda. I think he's greatly underappreciated and will be one of the best college lefties coming out of the first round. His velocity is acceptable (89-91 range), but his scouting report touts his curve and slider as both being plus pitches. I'm completely sold on him.

I like Hultzen a lot. Would like to see him maintain his stuff deeper into games. He took off the summer, so he should be fresh. Saw four or five of his games last year and his stuff took a noticeable turn down around the 5th inning.

Not a huge fan of the trajectory of Purke's fastball, which I think could be hittable for more advanced bats. But he has a live arm and projection is there in his stuff. Will be interesting to watch his progress this spring (he also took off the summer -- big innings jump last year and went deep into a lot of games so watch his healthy/velos this spring).

I like Hultzen a lot. Would like to see him maintain his stuff deeper into games. He took off the summer, so he should be fresh. Saw four or five of his games last year and his stuff took a noticeable turn down around the 5th inning.

Not a huge fan of the trajectory of Purke's fastball, which I think could be hittable for more advanced bats. But he has a live arm and projection is there in his stuff. Will be interesting to watch his progress this spring (he also took off the summer -- big innings jump last year and went deep into a lot of games so watch his healthy/velos this spring).

I've been a big Hultzen fan for a while too, and while I'd LOVE to see him around for our 2nd pick, no way it happens.

I'm also watching Bobby Wahl really closely this spring. He was a guy I thought the O's needed to invest in and sign, the Indians took a chance in the 39th but didn't offer him enough. So now I want to see if I was right about him, but I haven't heard much about where they are going to use him in the rotation.

I've been a big Hultzen fan for a while too, and while I'd LOVE to see him around for our 2nd pick, no way it happens.

I'm also watching Bobby Wahl really closely this spring. He was a guy I thought the O's needed to invest in and sign, the Indians took a chance in the 39th but didn't offer him enough. So now I want to see if I was right about him, but I haven't heard much about where they are going to use him in the rotation.

I believe he is competing for the Sunday spot in Ole Miss's rotation.

Archived