Are the O's a third place finisher?

wildcard

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The east can go a lot of differant ways.

The Yankees are a few injurys away from falling off the map. Iffy starting pitching and age could catch up with them.

The Rays still have a formable staff ,don't count them out.

Blue Jays who know's. They seem more long range oriented than 2011.

Sox's are the class of the divison.

If Buck can continue his magic who knows?

My opinion.

For me it is not a question if Manny can DH, because he can and he can do it well. The question is does he want to? He has always played leftfield. He hasn't played it well but he has always played it.

Watching what happens with Manny in Tampa could be interesting. Interesting for us. Maybe even more interesting for the Rays players. They could learn a few things. A few things the Rays don't want them to learn.

Manny was never in the field while with the White Sox. He played almost every game as DH (or PH). He accepted the deal to the WS to get away from LA so he knew he was going to be DH'ing.

For all three teams I think pitching will be the key. It could go any way depending on whose young pitchers step up.

This.

The O's could win the division if their rotation is lights out all season like they were for the last 2 months and the bullpen holds their own.

But that is a huge if.

With some reasonable progress from the pitching, with some better offense, I think we could finish in third.

I just wonder if it is in this team's stars, though. You know this team is going to be faced with some kind of setback in 2011, whether it is a major injury, horrible start to the season or elongated poor period of play, or some other unforseen catastrophe.

It's just bound to happen.

It would not surprise me in the least if Manny wants to play LF and have Damon DH. Damon DHed for the Tigers.

The Rays GM said Damon would be in LF and Manny at DH. Damon is better defensively than Manny. The only reason Damon DH'ed last season and Manny didn't is because Detroit has the DH and Los Angeles doesn't.

If I were to place a bet, I would place a bet on the Orioles finishing 4th. I think 3rd or 5th is possible.

But that is just for 2011.

If I were placing a bet right now for where they finish in 2012, I would bet on 5th place.

Interesting opinion. Is that because you think the Orioles will decline after this year or because you expect the other teams to make better moves between now and then and ultimately pass us again?

Manny was never in the field while with the White Sox. He played almost every game as DH (or PH). He accepted the deal to the WS to get away from LA so he knew he was going to be DH'ing.

And he had a 774 OPS at DH. In left he hit 948. We will see how it works out. It will be interesting.

And he had a 774 OPS at DH. In left he hit 948. We will see how it works out. It will be interesting.

That means almost nothing. In 2008 Luke Scott had an .869 OPS in 104 games in LF and a .573 OPS in 26 games at DH. I remember people arguing that he wasn't comfortable at DH so we shouldn't use him there in 2009. How would you say that's working out?

The Rays GM said Damon would be in LF and Manny at DH. Damon is better defensively than Manny. The only reason Damon DH'ed last season and Manny didn't is because Detroit has the DH and Los Angeles doesn't.

Link? I haven't seen where Friedman has said that. But if Manny wants to be Manny it will not matter what Friedman or anyone else says.

And he had a hernia.

He had hit quite well at DH throughout his career to that point.

I don't think he has hit mostly as a DH since he was hurt in the early 2000's. He never liked it from what I remember. He always wants to play left. When was the last time he even played 25% of his games as a DH.

As I said. I have no doubt that Manny as the ability to DH. The question is will be want to do it and will he actually do it.

That means almost nothing. In 2008 Luke Scott had an .869 OPS in 104 games in LF and a .573 OPS in 26 games at DH. I remember people arguing that he wasn't comfortable at DH so we shouldn't use him there in 2009. How would you say that's working out?

Well, I am not saying the Manny can't DH. My question is will be want to DH and will be actually do it.

I don't think he has hit mostly as a DH since he was hurt in the early 2000's. He never liked it from what I remember. He always wants to play left. When was the last time he even played 25% of his games as a DH.

As I said. I have no doubt that Manny as the ability to DH. The question is will be want to do it and will he actually do it.

I'm not saying he's played consistently at DH, I'm simply saying that he has hit well when he has been at DH and he signed with TB to be the DH. So I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Archived