O's have exceeded 2011 budget

wildcard

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We kicked the MASN money topic around a couple of weeks ago. It could be that Pete Angelos, and not the Orioles, is the owner (and sole profiteer of) MASN. (see my previous post)

The reports about this have been very ambiguous. MASN could be owned by (1) the Orioles, (2) the same group that owns the Orioles, or (3) Angelos or some sub-group of group (2).

I am betting that it is option (2) (plus the Nats ownership interest). This is how YES is structured. It allows the Yankees to play games with MLB's revenue-sharing requirements by setting the rights fees lower (making revenues that have to be shared lower), while the exact same owners then get higher profits within YES.

Really? Prove that because you have no idea what you are talking about.

MacPhail has said many times that he's never had a problem asking for money.

Duquette has said that PGA always gave them the money they wanted with the best example being the Lee pursuit.

Why would Duquette and MacPhail both lie?

I think MASN pays the Orioles rights fees of about $27 mm or so. But that doesn't tell you much, because (1) even before MASN, the O's were being paid about $18 mm for their TV rights, and (2) the $27 mm rights fee doesn't include the Orioles share of MASN's profits, which are unknown.

A few years ago, I read that revenue to the Orioles from attendance, including parking and concessions, etc., was roughly $40 per fan. $50 may be a decent guess now, or it still may be a little on the high side.

How about the $75 million Angelos got up front from the deal from the Nats and MASN?

Where exactly does that factor in? Details, details I know.

MacPhail has said many times that he's never had a problem asking for money.

Duquette has said that PGA always gave them the money they wanted with the best example being the Lee pursuit.

Why would Duquette and MacPhail both lie?

None of this says PA is willing to have a payroll of 90-120 million for this season.

Reasonable people--meaning everyone other than the Prophet of the One True Way and his Merry Band--can agree that 1) Andy MacPhail is not stupid and 2) Andy MacPhail is 100% honest with the press only when he needs to be. Whether or not this snippet is a message to Vlad Guerrero's agent is something only MacPhail knows.

Things will play out as they play out...and when.

How about the $75 million Angelos got up front from the deal from the Nats and MASN?

Where exactly does that factor in? Details, details I know.

That was a payment for part ownership in the network. The economics of this are complicated, and we just don't have much information. I think it is likely that Angelos has made a lot of money off MASN, but I really don't know for sure, and just how much is anyone's guess.

That was a payment for part ownership in the network. The economics of this are complicated, and we just don't have much information. I think it is likely that Angelos has made a lot of money off MASN, but I really don't know for sure, and just how much is anyone's guess.

I think PA has set up MASN to make sure it profits Peter Angelos. If/when he sells the team, I don't think it will matter all that much.

For years, the Orioles never felt a team would go to DC. PA was afraid of it because he felt he was going to lose a lot money. So, when it actually happened, PA made sure to set things up to the point where he could make a lot of money from it.

He has made sure that when he sells the team, that he will make the money.

This was all about Peter Angelos IMO..not the well being of the Orioles franchise.

If it is true, I believe it is the O's saying we are now basically done for this year. If the right players and deals were able to be made, the budget may have been a lot higher. But since this is what we've done, I think AM doesn't see the need to expand it unless its someone he sees filling a hole that internally we can't.

Everyone keeps saying the O's have lost all the attendence revenue. Well I guess everyone forgot or didn't know that part of the agreement the O's made with MLB to let Wash in is that the O's are guarenteed the equivalent of 2.5 mil fans. So 1.7 doesn't matter. Base your numbers on 2.5. Say what you want,but PA is one hell of a buisness man.

I thought there were quotes that the payment reflected risk and cost born by PA and the MASN ownership group to start MASN.

I do not believe AM has made a lot of $ off MASN. I base this off the lack of growth in the fees paid to the Os and Nats.

I may have said or suggested that at some point. But now I believe that the O's, and most MLB teams, base this year's budget mainly on last year's revenues. Few teams are willing to spend beyond that on the hope that revenues will eventually follow.

Miss your window and not only do the shareholders get angry, but you've got a big, crippling financial hole to dig out of.

This is the safe way to budget and probably is mixed with MLB's projections with the team tweaking the numbers for what they expect.

Archived