O's have exceeded 2011 budget

wildcard

You would hope that some kind of situation that would push the O's towards serious contention would lead to more money being pried loose. They're not that far from the win range where 5 wins might bust loose $10s of millions in playoff revenues.

I try not to quote people from this early in the thread, especially before I've read all 7 pages... but is it really that much? $10s of millions? I didn't realize.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think PA has set up MASN to make sure it profits Peter Angelos. If/when he sells the team, I don't think it will matter all that much.

For years, the Orioles never felt a team would go to DC. PA was afraid of it because he felt he was going to lose a lot money. So, when it actually happened, PA made sure to set things up to the point where he could make a lot of money from it.

He has made sure that when he sells the team, that he will make the money.

This was all about Peter Angelos IMO..not the well being of the Orioles franchise.

I still think that the Nationals were a very bad thing for us.

I try not to quote people from this early in the thread, especially before I've read all 7 pages... but is it really that much? $10s of millions? I didn't realize.

Here's an article that gives a pretty good feel for this:

The Angels reported $12.1 million in revenue from hosting five first- and second-round playoff games in 2009 and nearly $4.4 million for hosting two first-round games in 2008, according to the reports published by Deadspin.com.

The Rays made almost $17.7 million in revenue on the six postseason games they hosted in 2008. Having two home games in the World Series helped boost those results.

The Twins might not be able to expect as much revenue from early-round games as the Angels made last year, but they should be able to surpass the Rays’ results, said Maury Brown, founder and president of the Business of Sports Network, which includes the Biz of Baseball website.

“It’s in the millions of dollars,” Brown said of the financial impact the Twins will receive from making the playoffs this year. “And depending on how far they go, it could be upwards of $10 million.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2010/09/27/story1.html?b=1285560000%255e3988401

And that doesn't even account for the follow on effects of increased ticket sales over the next several years. I'd read an article about the Tigers' WS appearance a few years back that indicated when all was said and done they could expect more than $30M in increased revenues, some of it spread over several years.

Everyone keeps saying the O's have lost all the attendence revenue. Well I guess everyone forgot or didn't know that part of the agreement the O's made with MLB to let Wash in is that the O's are guarenteed the equivalent of 2.5 mil fans. So 1.7 doesn't matter. Base your numbers on 2.5. Say what you want,but PA is one hell of a buisness man.

What equivalent? The guarantee is franchise sale price floor. Completely irrelevant to their operating profit/loss. Some here keep spouting off about all this mythical MASN cash. I'm only guessing but the startup costs of a TV network and the $20+MM annual rights fee to the Nats, plus the ratings for two of the worst teams in MLB probably don't add up to a whole lot of profit right now. Whether Angelos "owes" it to the fans to dump any MASN profit back into O's payroll is another (ridiculous) debate, but I'm guessing it's moot for now.

Agreed PA is very shrewd, and if he were penniless today 10 generations of little Angeloses could probably live luxuriously off future MASN profits. Just don't think it has much to do with signing Vlad.

Guest Hayden2004

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

#orioles could use vlad guerrero, but word is, they have "limited funds at this stage.'' #rangers out on vlad now

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

#orioles could use vlad guerrero, but word is, they have "limited funds at this stage.'' #rangers out on vlad now

Notice that it does not say "Os are out on Vlad" or "Os do not have space for Vlad". Hopefully, for those who want Vlad in Bmore, he'll accept "limited funds".

Archived