Should we spend money just to spend it?

Sports Guy

With the MASN stuff resolved, we are all expecting alot of money to be spent.

The problem is, not alot of talent is available.

So, will you be pissed if the Orioles show some intelligence in the offseason and not go 5-6 years 12-16 million a year for guys like Zito, Lee and Soriano?

Or are you tired of losing and you don't care what it takes to get these guys..You just want them???

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No we shouldn't spend just to spend, and I don't think we will with Duq having a say in things.

However, Zito is worth it. We all heard that stat floating around a couple weeks ago about Zito being something like 78-4 with 4 runs or more of support. He's a nice consistent pitcher that we could use to anchor our young pitching.

I think the Orioles are going to be very careful about avoiding a Marty Cordova/Albert Belle/David Segui/Omar Daal sort of thing this time around. Those four signings crippled our franchise a few years back, and they're not going to just spend just for the sake of it. I really think that's why PA brought in Duq, 'cause he knew we were going to have money to spend, and he wanted it spent wisely. Now we'll see if he can do that.

Zito for 5/75 is a joke. He will not be good in OPACY IMO.

If you go all out for a pitcher, make it Jason Schmidt.

I wouldn't give Zito 5/75, I don't think anyone will.

Jason Schmidt probably is the better option now that I think about it. I love his K/9 and he's much more capable of dominating the AL East than Zito IMO.

I wouldn't give Zito 5/75, I don't think anyone will.

Jason Schmidt probably is the better option now that I think about it. I love his K/9 and he's much more capable of dominating the AL East than Zito IMO.

The Mets or Yanks will. All the big money teams will be after him..Boras is his agent...He is still relatively young...He will get that much or very close to it.

The Mets or Yanks will. All the big money teams will be after him..Boras is his agent...He is still relatively young...He will get that much or very close to it.

It's possible I guess, but let them make that mistake. I just really don't think he'll get quite that much, that's absurd.

Spending money just to spend it is unwise to say the least, especially considering how mlb contracts are guaranteed. As another poster mentioned, the last thing we need is a repeat of the Belle, Cordova, Segui type signings. That's why I am not too keen about going after Jason Scmidt, even though many fans here are clamoring for him. He will turn 34 this offseason. I don't want the team to sign a 34 year old pitcher to a 4-5 year contract, which is what he'll probably be seeking.

I wouldn't mind going after Zito, who will be 29 next year or Soriano, who will be 31.

Spending money just to spend it is unwise to say the least, especially considering how mlb contracts are guaranteed. As another poster mentioned, the last thing we need is a repeat of the Belle, Cordova, Segui type signings. That's why I am not too keen about going after Jason Scmidt, even though many fans here are clamoring for him. He will turn 34 this offseason. I don't want the team to sign a 34 year old pitcher to a 4-5 year contract, which is what he'll probably be seeking.

I wouldn't mind going after Zito, who will be 29 next year or Soriano, who will be 31.

Well, you're right, but isn't it possible Schmidt could be a contributor in a little bit of an older age like a some of the old guys today? I mean it's always a risk, but I think Schmidt has been one of the elite pitchers in the last several years, people just don't realize it because he's on the west coast.

Zito is not going to want to come to Baltimore. They should not waste seconds of their time offering a contract. Make Schimdt our number 1 guy and offer him 3 years 36 mill.

What makes you think anyone is going to WANT to come to Baltimore?

We have to MAKE them want to come to Baltimore, that's just the sad reality of it.

3/36 is an ok opening offer but that won't get it done.

Do you pay Schmidt more money for less years, or a little less per year for more years?

I think i'd rather suck it up and stick to 3 years and give him as much as 45. At least you'd pretty much know you're getting an ace for all three years... after that you're not so sure what you're getting.

I would not give him a guaranteed 5th year..No way.

But, power pitchers tend to pitch better late into their 30's. I think he would be a decent risk for us...I would go as high as 4/50 with a 12 million dollar option year or 2 million dollar buyout to make it guaranteed 4/52.

I think Angelos would rather spend money on a position player than a pitcher.Even then it will be second tier guys whoever they might be.I don't think it's a matter of being cheap,just not spending stupid money.The real difference for next year will be if the starters are ready to take the next step.

Archived