Should we spend money just to spend it?

Sports Guy

I don't want to sign Zito or Schmidt unless the O's trade Benson. I want to see them give Bedard, Cabrera, Loewen, and Penn every opportunity to step it up next year. That only leaves one other spot in the rotation. So, if they can trade Benson, then go for Zito/Schmidt...if not, then I'd rather stick with what we have and spend the money elsewhere.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want to sign Zito or Schmidt unless the O's trade Benson. I want to see them give Bedard, Cabrera, Loewen, and Penn every opportunity to step it up next year. That only leaves one other spot in the rotation. So, if they can trade Benson, then go for Zito/Schmidt...if not, then I'd rather stick with what we have and spend the money elsewhere.

The only one of those names that scares me is Cabrera. Of course, if both Loewen and Penn surpass him in the rotation at some point next season, having Daniel as a fifth starter wouldn't exactly be a bad thing, when he could easily blow away the competition on any given night. But really, I don't see the harm in trying to acquire a solid veteran arm to add to the rotation along with Benson. That will allow Cabrera more time at AAA to iron out the kinks.

Well stated.

Bingo...We are still likely not going to contend next year, so we need to give those young guys every chance they can get.

Just look at Detroit.

Schmidt, Bedard, DC, Penn and Loewen would be a great rotation for next year.

But, as Adam correctly states below, you can't count on all 3 of those guys to step up. Disappointment happens, injuries happen, etc. If you truly want to compete next year (which seems to be the line from the talking heads at the Warehouse), you need reliability in your pitching staff. I'd feel real good with a rotation of Zito (or Schmidt), Bedard, Benson and then 2 of (Loewen, Penn, Cabrera), with the least ready of the 3 working out of the bullpen and providing the depth as the 6th starter. If someone gets injured or disappoints (inevitable) who would you like to fill in? Chen? Ortiz? Another Halama? Wouldn't you feel way better with a Hayden Penn or a Daniel Cabrera working long relief out of the pen, ready to step in the rotation if needed? Then in 2008 when Benson is a free agent, there's room for them all. Or if we're not competing next year at the deadline (a likely occurence) you trade Benson then, and make room for the 2nd half.

I'd rather have more depth then less!

Zito is not going to want to come to Baltimore. They should not waste seconds of their time offering a contract. Make Schimdt our number 1 guy and offer him 3 years 36 mill.

What gives you the idea that Schmidt would want to come here any more than Zito. He's clearly indicated he prefers Seattle.

I am amazed to hear alot of you saying you don't want them to spend money for the sake of spending.

My guess is if we lose out on Soriano, Lee, Zito and Schmidt many of you will be in an uproar saying the Orioles are not trying.

Well, Im not saying that. The thing is, I agree they should not give Schmidt a long term contract, he's getting older and its a risk. I would be all for breaking the bank on Zito. I'd also be all for breaking the bank on Soriano or Lee. They are offensive forces that would give our lineup the power it needs (and Tejada protection!)

Beyond them though, no they shouldn't overspend because it would just be a waste. If they have the money GO FOR THE BEST. Dont half ass it.

I am amazed to hear alot of you saying you don't want them to spend money for the sake of spending.

My guess is if we lose out on Soriano, Lee, Zito and Schmidt many of you will be in an uproar saying the Orioles are not trying.

That last thing I want is for the FO to spend money on players who are not good enough. I would be extremely happy if we just signed Schmidt for a 3 year deal 40 mill and a 4th year 10 mill player option.

Well, Im not saying that. The thing is, I agree they should not give Schmidt a long term contract, he's getting older and its a risk. I would be all for breaking the bank on Zito. I'd also be all for breaking the bank on Soriano or Lee. They are offensive forces that would give our lineup the power it needs (and Tejada protection!)

Beyond them though, no they shouldn't overspend because it would just be a waste. If they have the money GO FOR THE BEST. Dont have ass it.

Why do you consider Lee an offensive force?

Do you consider Jay Gibbons an offensive force? They are very similar players, except Lee stays healthy.

Why do you consider Lee an offensive force?

Do you consider Jay Gibbons an offensive force? They are very similar players, except Lee stays healthy.

Great! You're saying the O's couldn't use a guy who stays healthy and puts up the numbers Lee does? And if Gibbons stays healthy and matches, it, wow! We have some super lineup depth, don't you think? And Tejada becomes more dangerous too. Its not my money, we've been promised upgrades (which Lee would be unless you really consider Fahey/Conine to be equivalent, and yes I've seen your plattoon ideas, and they dont match Lee's power. PERIOD. We need power, we're missing a #4 hitter. Even Tejada is not really a big time homerun hitter. He's an RBI guy.) If this team is serious and we have the money getting Soriano or Lee should be a must goal.

Great! You're saying the O's couldn't use a guy who stays healthy and puts up the numbers Lee does? And if Gibbons stays healthy and matches, it, wow! We have some super lineup depth, don't you think? And Tejada becomes more dangerous too. Its not my money, we've been promised upgrades (which Lee would be unless you really consider Fahey/Conine to be equivalent, and yes I've seen your plattoon ideas, and they dont match Lee's power. PERIOD. We need power, we're missing a #4 hitter. Even Tejada is not really a big time homerun hitter. He's an RBI guy.) If this team is serious and we have the money getting Soriano or Lee should be a must goal.

I rather have Lee, but I really don't want to waste funds when Tex will be a FA in 2008.

I will ask again...What about Lee says he is an offensive force? You consider 30 homers and a 840 OPS to be an offensive force?

I will ask again...What about Lee says he is an offensive force? You consider 30 homers and a 840 OPS to be an offensive force?

I do. OPS is a great stat but HR do matter. YOu seem to like to only look at OPS when looking at how good a player hits.

Archived