Rosenthal: Guerrero and Orioles.

paranoidfan

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vlad would likely put up a 2.0 fWAR performance at least, so he'd be reasonably priced.

Anything extra he'd give you would be a bonus.

If we gave Lee $7.5 million, I think we can give Vlad something close to that.

The Orioles are probably offering something like $2-3 million.

I'd say both sides could compromise around $5-6 million with incentives to raise the value. Heck we paid Tejada $6 million last year. Vlad needs the Orioles and the Orioles need Vlad.

Lee plays a position and doesn't look like an old man when he moves. He should and will cost more.

Vlad will be lucky to end up with much more than 5 million.

Vlad might outperform Lee at the plate next season though. And Vlad has stayed healthier than Lee.

I agree his value takes a hit by not playing the field, but he's still a $6-8 million dollar player IMO.

Just because he MAY end up being worth 8 million, that doesn't mean you give him 8 million and it doesn't mean that it would end up being the right contract.

You have to look at our specific situation. We didn't have anyone ready to play a decent 1B at the major league level, so paying Lee makes sense. We do have a good DH and two talented younger players to play LF. Therefore, you can still consider Vlad at the right price, but he is worth less to us than Lee. I think Vlad may well be worth $6-8 mm to some team, but he's not worth that in our situation.

I would like to see us focus on moves that will help us contend. In my mind, Vlad only fits if he has a good first half and we can trade him for a young player who will help in the future. I don't know if this scenario is very likely. I would prefer to use those at bats to find out if Reimold and Pie fit into our future. I'm not convinced one way or the other on Reimold and Pie.

I'm surprised that Vlad hasn't been able to find someone willing to pay him $8 million. We're talking about a guy who put up 29 homers with 115 RBI and a .300 batting average last year. I know he can only DH, but still, he was a valuable commodity last year and it's surprising to me that his agents weren't able to come up with something better than whatever the Orioles are offering.

You have to look at our specific situation. We didn't have anyone ready to play a decent 1B at the major league level, so paying Lee makes sense. We do have a good DH and two talented younger players to play LF. Therefore, you can still consider Vlad at the right price, but he is worth less to us than Lee. I think Vlad may well be worth $6-8 mm to some team, but he's not worth that in our situation.

Yes, you have to look at specifics, not just take a guy's 2010 WAR value and multiply by a constant and get a contract. If you take the really simplistic approach you might say Vlad was worth 2.0 wins last year, and you hack off half a win for aging, and you get a value of 1.5 * $4.5M = $6.75M.

But clearly scouting reports have injected some risk into that forecast, so that teams are very reluctant to put an aging DH with injury concerns on a typical decline path. Not only that, but only a subset of American League teams want a new full-time DH, and a smaller subset of those teams need a new full-time DH.

Saying a 1/8 offer is fine would be ok in a vacuum. But there's some nuance here.

1 year, 5 million -- incentives with plate appearances can bring the deal up to 7 million. If he wants it, great. If not, get ready for spring training. There are bigger things to worry about this season then holding out for Vlad.

Archived