Blue Jays could drastically raise payroll in the upcoming years

Sports Guy

Why anyone would want to play baseball in Toronto is beyond me. I guess if a player only cares about making lots of money then it makes sense. The Bluejays spent alot of money several years ago and look where it got them. The Orioles just need to focus on beating New York and Boston. If they can beat those teams, they can beat any team in baseball.

Why anyone would want to play baseball in Toronto is beyond me. I guess if a player only cares about making lots of money then it makes sense. The Bluejays spent alot of money several years ago and look where it got them. The Orioles just need to focus on beating New York and Boston. If they can beat those teams' date=' they can beat any team in baseball.[/quote']

I don't get why no one would want to play baseball in Toronto. It's a world class city, for one, and if they are winning, the fans will come out like they did in the early 90's.

I don't get why no one would want to play baseball in Toronto. It's a world class city, for one, and if they are winning, the fans will come out like they did in the early 90's.

Having to deal with Canadian Tax system to start with... here they talk about the NHL, but MLB need applie also.

You have just signed a contract, and are ready to embark on or continue your career as a professional hockey player. But then it blindsides you like an open-ice body check – the realization that you must share part of your earnings with the Canadian government, the U.S. government, or both. The questions then become: in which country must you pay income tax, and how much will you pay?

The answers can be surprisingly complex. Let’s examine situations in which you would have to file a Canadian personal income tax return.

There are two scenarios in which a professional hockey player is subject to Canadian tax.

If he is a resident of Canada, he pays Canadian tax on his worldwide income, no matter where he plays.

If he is NOT a Canadian resident, he will pay Canadian tax if he plays on a Canadian-based team. In this scenario, only the games he actually plays in Canada will be subject to Canadian income tax.

As such, the main factor in determining how much Canadian income tax a player must pay is his residency status.

Figuring out where a player resides seems like it should be a simple concept – but in fact, it’s not always straightforward. Someone’s residency status can only be determined on a case-by-case basis, and takes into consideration several factors (or residential ties).

The primary residential ties in determining if someone is a tax resident of Canada are: the location of his home and where his spouse and/or dependents reside.

source

So much for your comment about the Blue Jays not having the resources we have. Basically, they are the only major league team in Canada, and their games are broadcast all across the country by the very TV network that owns the team.

Well, they have a FO and ownership that will use the resources properly.

I'm so weary of this division.

Yep....Everyone in the division either has more money and/or more intelligence than the Orioles.

This is why I have said we are further away from contention than any team in the sport. No team has the hurdles the Orioles do.

And btw, forget about just our division. Look at the AL as a whole. How many teams can you say you would switch situations with right now? How many teams would you prefer to have their ownership and/or GM more than the O's?

We have to compete with all of those teams as well.

Angelos can't sell this team soon enough because we have very little chance with him.

Yep....Everyone in the division either has more money and/or more intelligence than the Orioles.

This is why I have said we are further away from contention than any team in the sport. No team has the hurdles the Orioles do.

And btw, forget about just our division. Look at the AL as a whole. How many teams can you say you would switch situations with right now? How many teams would you prefer to have their ownership and/or GM more than the O's?

We have to compete with all of those teams as well.

Angelos can't sell this team soon enough because we have very little chance with him.

Its definitely a tough pill to swallow. I think we would have a puncher's chance in the AL West, not sure for how long though. It feels like if our current crop doesn't pan out, we're doomed. I do often wonder where we could be without Angelos.

Jays, Rays, and Sox are all wisely primed for the long haul. Yankees can throw money at any problem. Who are the Orioles?

We need things to break right this year in player development and actual wins/culture to have a shot.

Its definitely a tough pill to swallow. I think we would have a puncher's chance in the AL West, not sure for how long though. It feels like if our current crop doesn't pan out, we're doomed. I do often wonder where we could be without Angelos.

Jays, Rays, and Sox are all wisely primed for the long haul. Yankees can throw money at any problem. Who are the Orioles?

We need things to break right this year in player development and actual wins/culture to have a shot.

The Rays have gotten where there are through wise use of their farm system. Boston has a good one too but they like the Yankees, use their $$$ for a lot of it.

As for us.. say what you will about George S and John Henry, at least they are willing to shell out the money for their team. That's a heck of lot more than Angelos is willing to do.

The other night you said that MacPhail had more financial resources to work with than Alex A. did with Toronto. Now, when Frobby says that maybe that's not true, instead of saying you might have been wrong, you ignore that and change to a different angle.

Well, i don't know if they do or not. The O's have a better fan base and better stadium. But they aren't the only game in town like Toronto is. Toronto has the tax issues as well...although not sure how much that effects the team.

Their president said they could move their payroll up that amount over the upcoming years.

The question is, why does he think that? Is that based on the thinking that they will draw 4 million fans again? is that based on them making a lot more money now? Is that based on their RSN?

Just because he said he could up the payroll that much, doesn't mean they have more resources than the O's.

In other words, is that a projection of what he hopes to spend or what they definitely can spend because they are generating that much money?

If its what they hope they can spend, then I am not sure they have more than the O's. If it is definitely what they can spend, then I was wrong about the resources.

Either way, they are way smarter than the O's, so even if the O's have more resources, the BJs will do more with less.

You keep throwing things out there as fact. Why do the Orioles have a better fan base than Toronto? Is that based on the same kind of evidence (meaning none) that you used to determine that the O's had more financial resources?
Toronto drew 1.5 million last year and under2 million the year before. The Orioles are drawing better(or similar) with a smaller capacity stadium and worse teams.
Now, you say we have a better stadium. What has that got to do with it? Skydome isn't exactly some kind of dump that fans don't want to go out to.
Stadium helps generate revenues.

BTW RZ, how about you disprove what I am saying?

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/33/baseball-values-09_The-Business-Of-Baseball_Revenue.html

Archived