One Nation, Indefensible

DrungoHazewood

From Norman Chad's Post column this morning:

It is Halloween and These Things Scare Me:

It's not America, it's Red Sox Nation. Is it too late to call our old, tyrannical friends at the British Empire and ask back in? For many of us cannot understand how one night we all went to sleep in the United States and the next day we awakened in Red Sox Nation.

Like a bad flu, Red Sox fans are everywhere and spreading.

I would rather be stuck in a grain elevator with Kid Rock and Tommy Lee than in a sports bar with Stephen King and Doris Kearns Goodwin.

I don't even go to the supermarket anymore for fear of being accosted near frozen foods by a Red Sox fan. And I live in Los Angeles.

When they whined about The Curse of the Bambino, Red Sox fans were self-pitying but somewhat lovable. These days, they are just cocky and obnoxious.

Now I know why Shelley Long left "Cheers."

Huzzah! What a crappy sports weekend.

The funny thing is is that the Sox fans don't understand why everyone hates them all of a sudden.

Really, they're totally oblivious to it.

Yup - I'm sorry to say that "some of my best friends are, unfortunately, Sawx fans" (not bandwagoners - NE'ers but w/e). It's tough dealing with it and they say, "Why do you hate the Sawx? I just love my Manny and big Papi!" Get a life and deal with the haters 'cause you're not escapin' it until you do. :mad:

I cannot wait for people to hate me for being an Orioles fan.

One of my favorite memories from the post-Memorial Series days was being it Atlanta in 1997 for the Orioles first-ever interleague series.

When those Braves fans started up their faux-Indian chant, all the Orioles fans in with me in the left-field seats drowned them out with "O-O-Orioles. O-O-Orioles" to the same rhythm. Atlanta started Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz & the O's swept the series. Yeah, I wouldn't mind being hated right now.

One of my favorite memories from the post-Memorial Series days was being it Atlanta in 1997 for the Orioles first-ever interleague series.

When those Braves fans started up their faux-Indian chant, all the Orioles fans in with me in the left-field seats drowned them out with "O-O-Orioles. O-O-Orioles" to the same rhythm. Atlanta started Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz & the O's swept the series. Yeah, I wouldn't mind being hated right now.

AFAIK, when the O's were good, nobody hated them. Respected them, but didn't hate them. I think one part of that is because O's fans weren't obnoxious. Another part was the lack of media hype. When they get good again, some people will want media hype about the O's. But I won't. I like it when the O's are like that great little restaurant that nobody else knows about. So you can get in.

The funny thing is is that the Sox fans don't understand why everyone hates them all of a sudden.

Really, they're totally oblivious to it.

The "real" Sox fans still haven't shaken off the idea that their team is a bunch of lovable losers who somehow made good and broke the "curse" in 2004. It's as if nothing since then has happened.

They simply do not realize that they are now just as much the Yankee$ as the Yankee$ are...

And the bandwagoneers are pretty much oblivious, regardless.

More and more people are starting to turn against the Red Sox fans. A couple of guys on XM were also saying that Red Sox fans are obnoxious and are the reason they stopped caring about the Red Sox. I think people are finally seeing the light...

More and more people are starting to turn against the Red Sox fans. A couple of guys on XM were also saying that Red Sox fans are obnoxious and are the reason they stopped caring about the Red Sox. I think people are finally seeing the light...

The media giveth and the media taketh away...

Why would anyone hate Os fans? We are the BEST fans in baseball:)

Why would anyone hate Os fans?

If we were still winning like the glorious quarter-century of 1960-1984, the sports world of today would find a way to hate us...even if they had to make something up.

All I was trying to say is I'd gladly pay the price of being hated to get back atop the division.

AFAIK, when the O's were good, nobody hated them. Respected them, but didn't hate them. I think one part of that is because O's fans weren't obnoxious. Another part was the lack of media hype. When they get good again, some people will want media hype about the O's. But I won't. I like it when the O's are like that great little restaurant that nobody else knows about. So you can get in.

Maybe I don't have the necessary perspective, but I always got the feeling that the 66-83 O's were in the same class as the Cardinals, or the 70s and 80s Royals, or maybe the Twins today. A team that generally just did stuff right and that people found it hard to hate. They didn't really ever give anyone a reason to hate them.

I'd tear up an Amos Otis baseball card when the Royals beat the O's, but even at the age of 10 I respected the Royals. I think the O's were like that.

Archived