Per Olney tweet, look for resolution in 48 hours

ChaosLex

Just talked to a guy who knows Vlad.

Basically, here is what I know about him from the conversation.

1)Drinks like a fish (saw him drink an entire bottle of Grey Goose),

2)very cool guy, and

3)doesn't speak much English because he has been pampered his entire life.

My friend wouldn't know anything about the contract situation, but it leads me to believe he would be a great teammate, but the fact that he was pampered his entire life by everyone around him leads me to believe that he has led a sheltered existence (lives with his mom) where everyone catered to him. So, to that I say, he probably genuinely is not happy with the offer because there are probably many in his inner circle who are telling him that he should not take less than what he thinks he is worth, and they are probably disregarding the supply and demand aspect of this negotation.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The longer this goes, the more comfortable I am with Reimold in LF. Not a big fan of Pie as a starter, but he's a good 4th OF to start the season.

I'm very high on Reimold this upcoming season & I hope that Buck gives him every opportunity.

You've made this or similar statements several times....and this question has been asked several times: Why would the Orioles want to bid against themselves? It makes no sense. They have the highest, and perhaps only, bid on the table.

To get the player.

It's a simple concept, but the Orioles haven't been really great at it.

It's this same line of thinking that had us miss out on Vlad in January 2004. Now granted he's not the same player, but the line of thinking could lead to the same result.

If you want Vlad, you go after him and raise your offer a bit.

It's pretty clear that unless MacPhail comes up some, he does not want Vlad unless he takes a ridiculously low offer.

And it's not like we are talking a 2-3 year deal here. And as Bowden has pointed out, the Orioles won't likely pay even the entire contract.

Specifically, Vlad wants more than what the O's are offering.

Thank goodness. All this speculation about Vlad coming here "should" be over within the next two days.

Awesome news, if true. I think most of us are darn weary from all the...will he or won't he be an Oriole drama.

To get the player.

It's a simple concept, but the Orioles haven't been really great at it.

It's this same line of thinking that had us miss out on Vlad in January 2004. Now granted he's not the same player, but the line of thinking could lead to the same result.

It's pretty clear that unless MacPhail comes up some, he does not want Vlad unless he takes a ridiculously low offer.

And it's not like we are talking a 2-3 year deal here. And as Bowden has pointed out, the Orioles won't likely pay even the entire contract.

No crap Trea! MacPhail SAID THAT EXACT THING at FanFest. Read my posts and answer the questions instead of ignoring anyone who makes you look foolish!

In what world is $4-5 million a ridiculously low offer? It's more than Matsui or Manny will be making next year and right now we're the only team in the running.

Lol. :laughlol:

JTrea81: Bending over for free agents since 2008.

You laugh, but how successful has our FA strategy with hitters been?

Interesting we are willing to "bend over" for pitching but try to lowball and find bargains for hitting?

This is one place where you just misunderstand the entire issue at hand. We did not set out to get Vlad. We only decided to go after him because the market for him is cool. If he prices himself out of the cool range, he's no longer an option for us.

Bottom line: your interest in Vlad /= AM's interest in Vlad.

Understanding that, there's no reason for AM to budge, particularly with zero credible competition in the bidding.

Exactly. It's also clear that Vlad is in the middle of a negotiation. He's doing exactly what he should do by holding out, trying to force the O's hand, and maybe seeing if others become interested at the price. This does not mean that he's not interested in being an Oriole though.

It just means he's negotiating.

It's amazing the degree to which the business side is lost on you.

Archived