Orioles sign Vlad

Peace21

rotoworlds take

The Orioles finally caved in. Just a week ago they reportedly were willing to stand firm at $4.5-5 million, but they've decided to give in to Vlad's demands even though they had appeared to be his only real pursuer. Ultimately, though, it's not a bad price to pay for a guy that hit .300/.345/.496 with 29 home runs and 115 RBI this past season. His addition strengthens the middle of what suddenly is a legitimate lineup. Felix Pie figures to lose the most playing time as a result of the move, while Luke Scott will shift from DH to left field. Feb. 4 - 6:10 pm et

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As huge Reimold fan, I'm crushed by this news.

Vlad is clearly on the decline and he certainly does not want to play here.

He better be gone by the All-Star break

Hopefully you live near Norfolk, so you can watch your boy playing where he belongs...

Sure Vlad will bring some excitement to our team this year but it either one of two consequences:

1. We trade a slightly younger, not much worse option in Luke Scott and our lineup has improved with the signing of Vlad but not dramatically

2A. We keep Scott and Pie does not get consistent at-bats. We fail to see what we have in Pie, who could be part of our future (while Vlad most likely will not)

2B. We trade Pie for very little

I still don't understand the extreme excitement over signing this guy

As huge Reimold fan, I'm crushed by this news.

Vlad is clearly on the decline and he certainly does not want to play here.

He better be gone by the All-Star break

Reimold is a 27-28 year old player with 5 good months at the major league level and a very below average year last year. I am a big fan of Reimold also, but if he is healthy and he plays very well at Norfolk next year, he will have a future with this team beyond 2011. Don't be disappointed, just hope for a good year in Norfolk from Reimold

Even with a slower bat, its going to a ton of fun watching Vlad take his hacks. I will be glued to the TV with everyone of his at bat's
I had the pleasure of watching him for years on a daily basis. He is the funnest hitter to watch I've ever seen. It doesn't matter how bad the pitch is he will swing at it and the best part is he very rarely altogether misses. His strike zone extends from the dirt two feet ahead of the plate to a foot over his head. He will also take a pitcher's best pitch and hammer it like a hanging curve.

Seems something happened last year. I think the disaster at the start and the amazing play after Buck was hired has led management to really try to get some pieces for this team. Even if quite a few are just bandaids.

If guys have good seasons and team still sucks we have plenty of vets to trade at the deadline.

Gosh I want the season to just start already!!!

Ehhhhhhh the most NAMES since then.

Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the best lineup.

LOL! This post could apply to 95% of baseball talent discussion - not so much around here (we're more savvy :D) but especially in the mass media.

I had the pleasure of watching him for years on a daily basis. He is the funnest hitter to watch I've ever seen. It doesn't matter how bad the pitch is he will swing at it and the best part is he very rarely altogether misses. His strike zone extends from the dirt two feet ahead of the plate to a foot over his head.

That is sooo cool!:)

Sure Vlad will bring some excitement to our team this year but it either one of two consequences:

1. We trade a slightly younger, not much worse option in Luke Scott and our lineup has improved with the signing of Vlad but not dramatically

2A. We keep Scott and Pie does not get consistent at-bats. We fail to see what we have in Pie, who could be part of our future (while Vlad most likely will not)

2B. We trade Pie for very little

I still don't understand the extreme excitement over signing this guy

What exactly is it that Pie has done (for an extended period of time) that he should automatically be given leftfield?

Don't really understand all the love for this guy. It's not like we're sending Mickey Mantle to the bench as a 4th OF now with Scott moving to LF.

$4.5 million for the player, $3.5 million for image redemption/fan goodwill. Money very well spent IMO. Could it be that the franchise is righting itself like we've all hoped for so long? I have guarded optimism but I can tell you for sure I will be at the ballpark much more often this season.

Reimold is a 27-28 year old player with 5 good months at the major league level and a very below average year last year. I am a big fan of Reimold also, but if he is healthy and he plays very well at Norfolk next year, he will have a future with this team beyond 2011. Don't be disappointed, just hope for a good year in Norfolk from Reimold

Exactly. I know we haven't had any here for a freakin decade, but depth has been a good thing for other organizations...it's a 1 year deal not the Berlin Wall. Reimold should have to prove himself after a .738 AAA OPS and his poor September call up (245 obp). Not to mention Grimed's assertion that Buck had some reservations about him. I HOPE Reimold rebounds. Maybe he will. It will help the organization if he does.

Archived