I talked to an insider today

PlumOriole

I don't post here a lot but I wanted to pass along some information I heard today. I met a person in the Oriole organization this summer and had a really good conversation about what they were doing as an organization. This was "before" McPhail was hired. Anyway, this is the first time I've talked to him since then and here is what he had to say.

1. He was at the organizational meeting and really likes McPhail. He said he seems to really want to here what everyone had to say and was open to different ideas of how to improve the organization.

2. I mentioned Tejada and Bedard possibly being traded and he said Bedard is not going anywhere.

3. He said they talked at the organizational meetings about players being signed that should not have. He said they were going to eat two contracts. He said Mora would not be one of them because they plan on moving him to LF.

4. The biggest statement and I hope he is wrong is he thinks they will be going after ARod. I was very surprised when he said this. He said they want a big name to build around and to identify with.

You can take this for what it's worth.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't post here a lot but I wanted to pass along some information I heard today. I met a person in the Oriole organization this summer and had a really good conversation about what they were doing as an organization. This was "before" McPhail was hired. Anyway, this is the first time I've talked to him since then and here is what he had to say.

1. He was at the organizational meeting and really likes McPhail. He said he seems to really want to here what everyone had to say and was open to different ideas of how to improve the organization.

2. I mentioned Tejada and Bedard possibly being traded and he said Bedard is not going anywhere.

3. He said they talked at the organizational meetings about players being signed that should not have. He said they were going to eat two contracts. He said Mora would not be one of them because they plan on moving him to LF.

4. The biggest statement and I hope he is wrong is he thinks they will be going after ARod. I was very surprised when he said this. He said they want a big name to build around and to identify with.

Hey thanks for the info..... it wouldn't hurt my feelings to acquire ARod.. in fact, I think it would be great to followup Cal at SS with ARod, the future HR champ... obvioulsy he won't be free, but if you ship out Tejada for Cedeno/Pie, send Hernandez +pitching to the Mets for Milledge, eat Gibbons and Payton's contracts, collect insurance for Baez, then adding ARod won't be a franchise killer. I presume BRob isn't going anywhere either... If they aren't trading Bedard or BRob, then we aren't getting any of Hu, LaRoche, Loney, etc etc... This basically echos what Bigbird said..

I'm betting the two contracts are the two Jays. Especially if Mora is going to LF.

Jay Gibbons is definitely going to be one of the two.

I could see Jay Payton but that doesnt make much sense if you can trade him, even for nothing. But I guess it has to be Payton since the only other people would be Hernandez, Mora, or Roberts and those dont make sense.

Jay Gibbons is definitely going to be one of the two.

I could see Jay Payton but that doesnt make much sense if you can trade him, even for nothing. But I guess it has to be Payton since the only other people would be Hernandez, Mora, or Roberts and those dont make sense.

Yeah, it's gotta be Payton if we're sticking Mora in LF. I doubt Payton gets the CF job and we're not paying 5 mil for our 4th outfielder.

Ick, Payton in CF. *shudder*

Not sure I like that Bedard comment. Hopefully, this means they're already looking into an extension and not holding true to the Oriole status quo of waiting until the end of a contract to talk to him. I would hate for Bedard to walk and only get draft picks for him.

Now, I've been telling people I know who are very interested in the Orioles that I see them making a push for A-rod. The reasons are as follows:

a. His idol is Cal Ripken

b. He can play SS here

c. He's a big name

d. He's chasing a record (will fill seats at CY)

e. They will have money for him if they trade Tejada and Bedard (if they go that route)

f. By trading those two you'll bolster your position player/pitching 70% because you're going to get major league ready talent for those two

If they go that route they won't be far away from competing position player wise with those trades and picking up A-rod and salary will be in the same ballpark they are already forecasting in extending Bedard.

I would personally like to see the O's go this direction. If they can do Bedard and A-Rod all the better. But I don't see that happening.

I so hope this thread doesn't devolve into another A-Rod thread. There is no chance that he'll be in an Orioles uniform next season. Speculate all you want, and the O's may even make some kind of deluded push for him, but they won't get him.

I'm much more interested in whether we eat contracts. That's something that hasn't been brought up before (to my knowledge) and that's not something the club has done in recent memory.

The tidbit I was most interested in was the one that says no chance we trade Bedard. That may turn out to be a very bad move -- but at the same time I'll still look forward to watching every game the man pitches. He was a lifeboat of enjoyment in a sea of misery this year.

Archived