I talked to an insider today

PlumOriole

The tidbit I was most interested in was the one that says no chance we trade Bedard. That may turn out to be a very bad move -- but at the same time I'll still look forward to watching every game the man pitches. He was a lifeboat of enjoyment in a sea of misery this year.

Well it means he wont be traded this offseason, but that doesnt mean he wont be traded at all.

But really, the most interesting thing out of all of this is the buying out of contracts.

If Gibbons and Payton are gone, sweet!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now, I've been telling people I know who are very interested in the Orioles that I see them making a push for A-rod. The reasons are as follows:

a. His idol is Cal Ripken

b. He can play SS here

c. He's a big name

d. He's chasing a record (will fill seats at CY)

e. They will have money for him if they trade Tejada and Bedard (if they go that route)

f. By trading those two you'll bolster your position player/pitching 70% because you're going to get major league ready talent for those two

If they go that route they won't be far away from competing position player wise with those trades and picking up A-rod and salary will be in the same ballpark they are already forecasting in extending Bedard.

I would personally like to see the O's go this direction. If they can do Bedard and A-Rod all the better. But I don't see that happening.

Those might be reasons to go after him except for a.). But beside a.) what reasons would ARod have for signing here. As I have said elsewhere the only thing ARod doesn't have yet is a ring. As folks like to point out at every opportunity, it will be years before that is a likelyhood in B'more.

Jay Gibbons is definitely going to be one of the two.

I could see Jay Payton but that doesnt make much sense if you can trade him, even for nothing. But I guess it has to be Payton since the only other people would be Hernandez, Mora, or Roberts and those dont make sense.

Is just how I saw it. Gibbons is a no brainer. Payton is the only one else who really fits.

Those might be reasons to go after him except for a.). But beside a.) what reasons would ARod have for signing here. As I have said elsewhere the only thing ARod doesn't have yet is a ring. As folks like to point out at every opportunity, it will be years before that is a likelyhood in B'more.

I'm still torn if ARod is good or bad... but he instantly makes any team a contender, or at least much closer. We have parts to trade and parts to keep.

I will say that I love what was said in the beginning of this post. I don't want Bedard to leave, I think that if we have a decent year than we could get him to sign long term.

The two contracts has to be Jay Gibbons and one of either Jay Payton or Danys Baez, but most likely Jay and Jay.

If we went after A-Rod, I feel like it would be a 50 million dollar player for only 30 million. The thing you have to remember is that A-Rod brings a huge increase of revenue between ticket sales and MASN viewers. PLUS the Orioles are going to sell out every game as he gets higher and higher up in the Home Run race tally. Theres not a whole lot thats bad about A-Rod coming here EXCEPT that technically it doesn't seem rebuilding young starts with a 32 year old. But I would love if he came to Baltimore. He would like it here if we had a better team I think, great stadium and MASN. That said I dont think he's coming.

This brings up another question: if we somehow got A-Rod, would we still want to completely blow it up around him? If we signed him, I think I would be in favor of keeping our core together because A-Rod and a bunch of young guys does not a contender make.

I would approach Bedard with an extension again....Be much more willing to keep him if we added AROD.

Tejada and BRob should still go though.

If we trade Bedard, Roberts and Tejada and put good young talent around ARod, I wouldn't mind getting him. But if gettin him is an excuse to stay with our same tired plan, I will not be happy.

You don't think a core of A-Rod, Tejada, Roberts and Bedard can contend?

Maybe even trade Miguel for some younger guys.

But moving all those guys and signing A-Rod is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I'm still torn if ARod is good or bad... but he instantly makes any team a contender, or at least much closer. We have parts to trade and parts to keep.
He didn't get the MFY's to the WS The current O's are not the MFY's. No way he makes the O's an instant contender. We would still need a LF, a CF, 1B, DH, 2 SP's, 2 RP's and a Closer.

Archived