I talked to an insider today

PlumOriole

This was probably the worst of all of them. They weren't even in the right universe. And Delgado was a perfect fit for the team's needs at the time.

And based on what we offered and what he has been worth, I think our offer was spot-on. It is an interesting dilemma: Overpay for the tail-end of the declining years on a free agent to get a short term fix; or, do nothing, plug holes with what you've got or 3rd-tier relatively inexpensive guys; or, alienate your uneducated rose colored glasses fan base by trading its' favorite players for talented young cheaper options that they have never heard of.

Even though the Marlins purged themselves twice and in both cases made their teams better for the long run, all you hear is how the owner stabbed the fans in the back and that they can't draw flies anymore.

Owning a team or running a franchise would be a dream come true but it certainly is not as glorified a position as one would think.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And based on what we offered and what he has been worth, I think our offer was spot-on. It is an interesting dilemma: Overpay for the tail-end of the declining years on a free agent to get a short term fix; or, do nothing, plug holes with what you've got or 3rd-tier relatively inexpensive guys; or, alienate your uneducated rose colored glasses fan base by trading its' favorite players for talented young cheaper options that they have never heard of.

Even though the Marlins purged themselves twice and in both cases made their teams better for the long run, all you hear is how the owner stabbed the fans in the back and that they can't draw flies anymore.

Owning a team or running a franchise would be a dream come true but it certainly is not as glorified a position as one would think.

Great post and love the trifecta! :)

I don't think you can equate the two Marlins fire sales with each other. The second was necessary, and justified, in part because the first one was so completely boneheaded. Huizenga somehow failed to realize that the rewards of winning a World Series are reaped in the following seasons, and was committed to blowing up the 1997 team before they'd even finished winning the WS...

Archived