Naming a child after an Oriole

csgordos

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dog I grew up with was named Brady. We were bigger Cal fans but my mom vetoed Ripken, thought it sounded too rough. We got the dog the year Anderson hit 50 homers. It was funny because Brady was a free agent after that year and my dad was like "oh crap, what if he goes to the Yankees." We ended up having the dog for longer than Brady was an Oriole ultimately and I'll always remember him since he was my childhood dog. Don't know if I would name my kid after an Oriole honestly. My idol was and is Ripken but I don't know how I feel about Calvin as a name. I myself am named after my two grandfathers which is what I've considered doing if I have a son.

Not really Orioles-related, but...

When my first son was born, 11 years ago, my Japanese wife asked that he have a Japanese middle name and I agreed. Thus, Nicholas Ichiro was so named. Ichiro had yet to come to the US, but I knew who he was. Incidentally, "Ichiro" translates to "first born son." Destiny...

I have a son named Camden and don't live in the Baltimore area. I know others with the same name. Name is flexible since it can be shortened to Cam. For a girl, I guess you could shorten it to Cammy and like another poster said spell it Camdyn if you wanted to.

FWIW, my son is still under 5, not a huge baseball fan, but wouldn't trade his name for any other (I know, I've asked.) Moreover, we have received lots of positive responses despite the fact that we don't live in Baltimore. Finally, you should know that my wife could care less about baseball.

Before the birth of my son I told my wife that if it was a girl she gets to come up with the name, if it is a boy I would name him. Well luck was on my side and I have a son named Calvin. He is almost 8 and loves baseball AND the Orioles as much as me. Chip off the old block :)

Of course he was named after the one and only Cal Ripken Jr.

Wonder how it feels to be named after Tiger Woods, Roger Clemens, or Mark McGuire?

Pathetic? Really? It is a name, it doesnt dictate the morals and values the child will have..that is determined by the parents.

BTW-- if you want to post a worthless remark at least know how to spell McGwire's last name :)

Archived