O's to leave 105.7

Remember The Alomar

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The HD radio news is pretty exciting. The advantage of HD radio is that it has a delay which is actually a greater delay than the tv broadcast. This means that if you have a DVR you can easily watch the game and listen to radio by setting your delay, watching a few seconds behind on your DVR. I prefer the radio broadcasters so I will be doing this.

The HD radio news is pretty exciting. The advantage of HD radio is that it has a delay which is actually a greater delay than the tv broadcast. This means that if you have a DVR you can easily watch the game and listen to radio by setting your delay, watching a few seconds behind on your DVR. I prefer the radio broadcasters so I will be doing this.

I prefer watching the game and listening to Joe Angel on the radio, but the delay factor is really distracting. The DVR trick is intriguing...never thought of it....but now I'll have to get an HD radio to try it. The switch to WBAL kills listening to the games on regular radio for me anyway...I seem to live in a post-8 PM WBAL dead zone.

I prefer watching the game and listening to Joe Angel on the radio, but the delay factor is really distracting. The DVR trick is intriguing...never thought of it....but now I'll have to get an HD radio to try it. The switch to WBAL kills listening to the games on regular radio for me anyway...I seem to live in a post-8 PM WBAL dead zone.

Yeah, normally the tv has a longer delay than the radio and the only way to delay radio is with programs that you can find online and listen through your computer.

Yeah, normally the tv has a longer delay than the radio and the only way to delay radio is with programs that you can find online and listen through your computer.

Does the fact that it is 97.9 HD 4 matter? I know nothing about HD radio. Do all radios get all the subchannels?

Does anyone else live in Howard Co.? Every night at 8 PM, the WBAL signal goes from booming to almost nothing....the signal gets very weak and waifs in and out. It's maddening trying to listen to it and it used to drive me crazy!! I enjoy listening to Joe Angel broadcast the games, and I was so happy when they switched to 105.7. Their signal is always strong and crisp.

Maybe I'll just move to North Carolina.....WBAL booms down there at night.

Here are your day/night coverage patterns for WBAL AM.

WBAL AM daytime

WBAL AM nighttime

No, it mirrors 98 Rock's broadcast range.

I'm not as familiar with 98 Rock's signal strength.

No, it doesn't, HD radio signal drops off way before FM. The drawback of HD radio is the same as Satellite radio, it's 100% or it's 0%, no in between, FM can drop to a mono signal at further range.

For instance, you can pick up DC FM stations such as 95.5, 93.9 and 101.1, but there is only a minute chance that you will pick up any of their HD stations from Baltimore.

Does the fact that it is 97.9 HD 4 matter? I know nothing about HD radio. Do all radios get all the subchannels?

Unforunately, you have to have an HD tuner to get HD stations. I guess I'll be picking one up from my work now. I can't stand listening to AM broadcasts.

Archived