O's to leave 105.7

Remember The Alomar

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pStkZzNEHLc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for posting this. I remember the WBAL jingle from riding home from the games as a kid and my Dad would tune in and listen to the post-game. Also love the pre-Hilton Hotel shots of the ballpark. That Bromo Tower view is something else.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone else live in Howard Co.? Every night at 8 PM, the WBAL signal goes from booming to almost nothing....the signal gets very weak and waifs in and out. It's maddening trying to listen to it and it used to drive me crazy!! I enjoy listening to Joe Angel broadcast the games, and I was so happy when they switched to 105.7. Their signal is always strong and crisp.

Maybe I'll just move to North Carolina.....WBAL booms down there at night.

Yep, another Howard County resident here, who is not happy about this news. Just turned on WBAL....complete static.

What are the other options now for listening to the radio broadcast? Does mlb.com radio subscription work if you are (supposedly) in the WBAL listening area? What are the other options? Thanks in advance.

If I were WBAL, I would power down and go directional after 12 midnight, at least during the Baseball season.

WBAL already goes directional at night - which is defined as sundown to sunup - but retains its 50 kw power. I'm not sure what would be gained by powering down.

Yep, another Howard County resident here, who is not happy about this news. Just turned on WBAL....complete static.

What are the other options now for listening to the radio broadcast? Does mlb.com radio subscription work if you are (supposedly) in the WBAL listening area? What are the other options? Thanks in advance.

Buy an HD radio tuner, get a $15 dollar MLB audio subscription, or buy the $15 dollar MLB andriod/iphone app if you have a smart phone. Also, I know that WBAL let's you listen live on their website--maybe you'll be able to listen to it there?

I would think the AtBat stream originates from the radio station separately' date=' rather than being picked up via the AM signal and then streamed. If that's the case, you shouldn't notice any difference in sound at all. As someone with the AtBat app on my phone, I hope that's the case....not a fan of AM radio.[/quote']

Nope. You get the home signal. I can always tell which teams are on AM or FM. Very strange that it's not all the same quality. Oh well. I'll get used to it.

Baseball sounds better on AM anyway :)

AM radio is baseball cool !

I'll now be able to hear it again on sweet summer nights about 150 miles northeast of Baltimore.

Unfortunately, it can get some static spells....especially on the "Bases loaded...Here's the 3-2 pitch...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...& then returns during commercial......

What happened ? slam? pitching change?

I still welcome back the mighty wattage of WBAL !

WBAL already goes directional at night - which is defined as sundown to sunup - but retains its 50 kw power. I'm not sure what would be gained by powering down.

I am not sure why it goes directional then, I guess is what I am getting at... I am not as well versed in the engineering side of radio.

AM radio is baseball cool !

I'll now be able to hear it again on sweet summer nights about 150 miles northeast of Baltimore.

Unfortunately, it can get some static spells....especially on the "Bases loaded...Here's the 3-2 pitch...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...& then returns during commercial......

What happened ? slam? pitching change?

I still welcome back the mighty wattage of WBAL !

You know, maybe it's the Luddite in me, but I love this about radio baseball.

With the way information is streamed directly to you now with an incredible desire for instant gratification, sometimes it's nice to be reminded how much we really care about these things. Signals going out is becoming antiquated, but then again, how do we really know what it means to feel that nausea and anxiety except to feel we can't access that information as easily?

Then again, I'd probably just check Gameday on my phone - Hah!

My ONLY complaint about this is that I liked having 105.7 on the radio on my way home and getting to listen to all the ballpark reports and stuff. WBAL isn't the type of station I want to keep on at times when its not baseball related talk.

In other news, I wonder if The Fan will now start bashing the Orioles? I recall when the O's left WBAL, suddenly the orange colored glasses came off and they were critical of the Birds. Will the Fan do the same thing?

Does anyone else live in Howard Co.? Every night at 8 PM, the WBAL signal goes from booming to almost nothing....the signal gets very weak and waifs in and out. It's maddening trying to listen to it and it used to drive me crazy!! I enjoy listening to Joe Angel broadcast the games, and I was so happy when they switched to 105.7. Their signal is always strong and crisp.

Maybe I'll just move to North Carolina.....WBAL booms down there at night.

This is my concern as well. I spend a lot of time working in Howard County and I am currently looking to move there. The signal isn't very good at all. I thought I was crazy because of all the people raving about how "booming" WBAL's signal is. I much preferred FM for my situation.

Buy an HD radio tuner, get a $15 dollar MLB audio subscription, or buy the $15 dollar MLB andriod/iphone app if you have a smart phone. Also, I know that WBAL let's you listen live on their website--maybe you'll be able to listen to it there?
WBAL black-outs the live internet signal during the games. The iphone app works great.

Archived