O's to leave 105.7

Remember The Alomar

Nope. You get the home signal. I can always tell which teams are on AM or FM. Very strange that it's not all the same quality. Oh well. I'll get used to it.

That's unusual, and unfortunate.

I have MLB.tv, so I plan to watch as much of the games on there as I can. But because of the time difference I'm typically driving home from work early in the game and like to connect my phone to the car radio and listen to it over AtBat. But if the sound quality is going to be that poor I might rethink getting the app this season and just pick the game up in progress when I get home.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's unusual' date=' and unfortunate.

I have MLB.tv, so I plan to watch as much of the games on there as I can. But because of the time difference I'm typically driving home from work early in the game and like to connect my phone to the car radio and listen to it over AtBat. But if the sound quality is going to be that poor I might rethink getting the app this season and just pick the game up in progress when I get home.[/quote']

The decrease in quality is not unusable. I'm sorry if I came off that way. The FM signal was just clearer. The AM signal is very hearable(?). It's just in a mono signal. I still plan on buying the app and using it.

The decrease in quality is not unusable. I'm sorry if I came off that way. The FM signal was just clearer. The AM signal is very hearable(?). It's just in a mono signal. I still plan on buying the app and using it.

I see. I was concerned there would be reception issues with the stream of the AM signal. When I lived in Baltimore there were numerous areas were WBAL's reception was spotty, at best, in the evenings. Signal fading in and out, lots of static, humming and whistling. I can live with a mono feed.....I can't live with all of the noise and crap that you often get with AM signals. Still, I don't see why the internet streams can't have their own origin and get streamed out separately from the radio transmission....but I'm no radio engineer so I guess it's more difficult (or expensive) than it sounds.

There is an app on android called tune in radio which lets you tune into just about any station in any state, I am pretty sure it is free. I don't know if it is on itunes also but it works for android.

Will the spring training games be broadcasted?

Just checked iTunes, it's on there, but it's 99 cents.

As long as I get to hear the sweet dulcent sounds of Joe Angel, I will be happy. I can take or leave Manfra.

I can hear WJZ 1030 out of Boston on some nights super clear, much better than 1090 and I can see there tower on tv hill from my house. I know AM travels far over water.

Surprising since both started out as group W 50k clears.

That's unusual' date=' and unfortunate.

I have MLB.tv, so I plan to watch as much of the games on there as I can. But because of the time difference I'm typically driving home from work early in the game and like to connect my phone to the car radio and listen to it over AtBat. But if the sound quality is going to be that poor I might rethink getting the app this season and just pick the game up in progress when I get home.[/quote']

You won't be able to tell the difference on atbat. You're listening to a feed not the am broadcast.

Here are your day/night coverage patterns for WBAL AM.

WBAL AM daytime

WBAL AM nighttime

And here is the 24/7 coverage area of 105.7

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WJZ&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

Doesn't look like "coverage" was an issue, at least not locally, and especially since most games are night games. No doubt something else was going on here. Did 105 The Fan try to gouge the Orioles, or did WBAL perhaps come back with a low-ball offer to get them back.

WBAL used to have bad signal problems at night as close to Baltimore as Carroll County, Maryland, even while sometimes being at least intermittently hearable in places as far north as upstate New York and as far south as North Carolina at times. I think I heard somewhere that the nighttime signal sort of did a bounce where it skipped over some regional areas and then could be heard again further out. Despite that, though, this is probably good news for baseball listeners -- 105.7 faded out to the north and the west at all times of day extremely quickly, probably due to the combination of a poor signal and the rock and roll station on the same frequency in south-central PA -- and of course the affiliate stations will probably remain mostly the same.

As much as I dislike WBAL's political programming, having a 50,000 watt radio station broadcasting games is probably good for the Orioles. It helps expand the market and raise the team's profile, both important factors for a team in a relatively small market that probably has to draw to some degree from adjacent areas (Though I'd say Baltimore probably has among the most fans per capita of any baseball city -- a small market in terms of population as big league teams go, but with enough fans to be a medium or even maybe a large market).

And here is the 24/7 coverage area of 105.7

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WJZ&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

Doesn't look like "coverage" was an issue, at least not locally, and especially since most games are night games. No doubt something else was going on here. Did 105 The Fan try to gouge the Orioles, or did WBAL perhaps come back with a low-ball offer to get them back.

The big issue with 105.7 was as soon as you crossed the Mason Dixon heading north on 83, 105.7 would cut out and be taken over by York, PA's butt-rock station 105.7 "The X". York's AM station's O's signal was not powerful enough to reach southern PA. Entire areas like Shrewsbury were left, unforutnately, in the dark.

WBAL more than makes up for that with their signal strength.

Meh that's not that bad then. It works pretty well. Oh and who said it didn't work in Howard County because I live right in Columbia and tried it yesterday and it was working well. I don't know about western Howard County though.

You will have to get the MLB AT BAT app for your smart phone in order to get the games. If you try to tune in to a radio station app during the broadcast of a game it will be blocked. MLB made this change a few years ago to prevent people from listening to the games for free over the internet. Last season the MLB AT BAT app for the iphone was $15 and included every home and away radio broadcast for every team with no black-out restrictions.

I still can't get the games on the radio here in Frederick (clearly). And the wife's car has XM.

The O's have an AM station in Frederick. Also for those in Carroll County,as well. I can pick up the Frederick station in Columbia and the Westminster station in Eldersburg, Try to see if you can pick up these stations at night. I can listen to the O's when gambling in Charlestown, WV. or in Grantsville,Pa.

Don't just try the flagship,try the stations closer to your area.

*WTHU-AM 1450 AM Thurmont/Frederick MD

WTTR-AM 1470 AM Westminster MD

Complete list of O's stations:

http://mlb.mlb.com/bal/schedule/affiliates.jsp

Archived