The All-Alphabet MLB Team

Pedro Cerrano

Borrowing from Paul's thread here, I went ahead and did an all-MLB alphabet team. The basic premise, if you didn't see the other thread, is that you need to fill a 25-man roster using one letter from the alphabet for each player. Here is my team...

1B: Gehrig

2B: Hornsby

3B: Schmidt

SS: Wagner

C: Carter

OF: Ruth

OF: Mays

OF: Bonds

BN: Utley

BN: Ott

BN: DiMaggio

BN: Tejada

BN: Varitek

SP: Young

SP: Koufax

SP: Lemon

SP: Alexander

SP: Palmer

RP: Zumaya

RP: Nen

RP: Todd Jones

RP: Fingers

RP: Quantrill

RP: Isringhausen

RP: Eckersley

Borrowing from Paul's thread here, I went ahead and did an all-MLB alphabet team. The basic premise, if you didn't see the other thread, is that you need to fill a 25-man roster using one letter from the alphabet for each player. Here is my team...

1B: Gehrig

2B: Hornsby

C: Carter

OF: Ruth

OF: Mays

OF: Bonds

BN: Tejada

BN: Varitek

SP: Lemon

SP: Palmer

RP: Nen

RP: Todd Jones

RP: Fingers

RP: Quantrill

The name that sticks out to me is Todd Jones. I think you should make Grover Cleveland Alexander your long man, stick Walter Johnson in the rotation, and axe Jones.

The name that sticks out to me is Todd Jones. I think you should make Grover Cleveland Alexander your long man, stick Walter Johnson in the rotation, and axe Jones.

Eh he's one of the all time leaders in saves. I could what you suggested, and the team would be miles and miles better, but it sorta goes against the spirit of the idea.

Eh he's one of the all time leaders in saves. I could what you suggested, and the team would be miles and miles better, but it sorta goes against the spirit of the idea.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I saw the name and just thought it was a waste of a J.

Alexander did have 96 non-starts and 32 career saves, so I thought it might be passable.

I cheated a little on the pitching staff by bouncing two guys into the bullpen.

CF-Mays

2B-Hornsby

LF-Williams

1B-Pujols

RF-Aaron

3B-Schmidt

SS-Ripken

C-Bench

Walter Johnson

Koufax

Feller

Clemens

Cyrus Young

C-Dickey; 1B-Gerhig; 2B-Utley; SS-3B Tejada; OF-Lofton (I might need to steal a base late in the game)

Bullpen:

Eckersly

Quissenberry

Nen

Issringhausen

Zito

Frank Viola

Orosco (for that final strike out in the World Series)

Current Day:

RF-Ichiro (does he count for I?)

SS-Tulowitzki

C-Mauer

1B-Pujols

DH-Dunn

LF-Braun

3B-Zimmerman

2B-Utley

CF-Ellsbury

Halladay

Lincecum

Oswalt

Santana

Verlander

C-Jaso; SS-2B Andrus; 1B-3B Youkilis; OF-Quinten

Bullpen

Wilson

Feliz

Nathan

Gio Gonzalez

Rauch

Kuo

Camp

1B: Pujols

2B: Morgan

C: Gibson

LF: Bonds

CF: Charleston

RF: Ruth

BN: A. Vaughn

BN: Torre

SP: W. Johnson

SP: Nichols

RP: Feller

RP: Lyle

RP: Hoffman

RP: Quisenberry

Arguably the best player at each position around the diamond including SP. Two other potential top 5 SP's ever along with two top 15 or so SP's. I did include a top 15 or so SP in my pen as my swingman and have three of the all time great relievers finishing games.

CF- Cobb

DH- Williams

1B- Pujols

RF- Ruth

3B- Schmidt

LF- Bonds

SS- Yount

2B- Utley

C - Gehringer

OF- DiMaggio

OF- Ichiro (it's the name on the back of his jersey:D)

C - Varitek

IF- Tejada

1B- Murray

SP- Johnson

SP- Koufax

SP- Feller

SP- Alexander

SP- Lincecum

CL- Eckersley

RP- Hoffman

RP- Nathan

RP- Quisenberry

RP- Zumaya

RP- Orosco

Great idea, this was fun. I went with a 6 man bullpen, since my SP should be able to hold up.

Archived