Keith Law hating on the Orioles big time.

DuffMan

I liken Law's opinion to those who thought it wouldn't be a good idea to hire Buck in season. Or, if you had asked Law whether bringing Buck on board for the last 2 months would exhibit any real difference in the teams performance, I'm sure he'd have said no. So in both cases there were some on the wrong side of the argument. I think they will be again.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But this is the best division in baseball with three clubs that would probably win 95 if you transplanted them any place else

First, I don't think Tampa wins 95 games. But if he is going that route, why doesn't he put the Orioles in a different division and then project their total number of wins. At least complete the argument and make an apples to apples comparison

Honestly, taking off my Orange glasses, I don't see how the Orioles are the worst team in the division.

Maybe if you're covering the whole league and don't really have time to soak in all of the moves.

Behind Sabathia and Hughes, the Yankees rotation is sub-par. Guys like Jeter and Posada are on their deathbeds, and A-rod is certainly on the decline now that he's off the roids. Teixeira and Cano are really the only great players in their prime that they have. They're strength is the back end of the bullpen, but what good is that if your trailing by the time you get to the 7th or 8th.

Moving on to the Rays, they have some young talent, but in no way can you compare that team to the Orioles. They have a ton of draft picks for a reason, they lost ALOT of talent.

Blue Jays basically dumped salary too. Losing Marcum, Wells, even Napoli puts them under the O's IMO. I also think losing Gaston will hurt. They have a nice young rotation, but I think ours is superior as long as Britton or Tillman makes good on their hype.

Obviously the Red Sox are the best in the league.

I still think it comes down to Baltimore, Chicago/Minnesota, NY for wild card. My guess is Minnesota wins the central and Chicago wins the WC

Really? Law has been higher on many of our pitching prospects than most of the prognosticators out there. Is he wrong there too? Or is he only when wrong when those with their heads buried in the sand don't like what he has to say?

If he was blowing sunshine up your butt about the O's this year, would you be saying he is wrong?

This human race is so predictable.

I think that's more accurate.

Truth hurts...I know people have been excited because we have been making SOME kind of moves, but in the long run he's right, we aren't doing anything to grow as a young team, just adding complementary pieces to a team still in need of an identity.

Well, apparently your version of the truth might hurt, but I think it's a bunch of crap.

The Orioles added two players in their prime in Reynolds and Hardy and filled in areas of need with solid veterans without blocking a single realistic minor league option.

It's pipe dream to think the Orioles just took $8 million from their scouting and development budget. Guess what, the Orioles weren't going to spend that money on scouting regardless. People like Law and other so-called experts in the national media have no clue how things work in the organization so they assume money spent here means money not spent elsewhere.

The Orioles did exactly what they should have done this offseason. They improved in four positions in their lineup without touching their core young starting pitchers.

I'd like to know what these experts think we should have done this offseason? I guess the Orioles are not suppose to better themselves because clearly we are not going to contend right? Bullcrap!

We have our core pitching prospects (minus Britton) here now. Wieters is here now. It's time to get out of the defeatist attitude that the Orioles are supposed to just lay down. Lay down until when? When in the hell are we supposed to "go for it?" Who in the hell are we waiting on?

Should the Orioles do more in international scouting? ABSO-Freakin'-lutely. Should the Orioles pour more money into the Rule-4 draft and hiring more scouts? Sure. But anyone who thinks the $8 million spent on Vlad somehow set us back just doesn't get how things work.

The Orioles success hinges on the continued development of the young starting pitchers, along with the development of players like Markakis, Jones, and Wieters.

I've been a critic of MacPhail when I thought it needed to be said, but at the same time I'm giving him credit for making this team much better than it was last year. Did the Red Sox improve? Absolutely. Are we in the toughest Division in baseball? Right on the mark!

But at the end of the day I don't see how anyone can not think this team is better than the team from last year, a team who's historically bad start made their record much worse than it should have been.

We might not contend this year, I certainly don't know, but I do know that if things break for the team that they can be much more competitive and could be in the wild card hunt.

I completely and utterly reject any notion that this off season hurt the organization's development in any way. If we were trading young core pieces for guys like Lee or Vlad then I could understand, but the only player we gave up of value this offseason with David Hernandez and Kevin Gregg was signed as his replacement.

The only truth is the haters are hating because it's convenient. The Orioles are going to be continually bashed in the national press until they start to win. I completely understand that, but it's sad to see some around here buy into what the national media tells them is right.

Maybe someone shot me up with orange koolaid steroids or something but I tell you what, for the first time in many, many years, I believe in this team. I believe for once they have the horses to challenge for a wildcard if some things go right.

I'd be shocked and disappointed if this team doesn't win at least 85 games. That won't win them a WC, but it certainly shows they are moving in the right, not wrong direction.

In general, I like Law and respect his opinions. He usually does not slam 1-year contracts even when others classify them as "overpaying" because they are low-risk maneuvers. So I am a bit surprised at his trashing of the O's offseason moves.

His main weakness in evaluations is that he stubbornly clings to his past assessments. While he does admit when players do change, he is slow to come around on those assessments.

Mark Reynolds WAS a bad defender, perhaps the worst fielding 3B in 2008 according to the fielding bible. But is that an accurate assessment of Reynold's capabilities and his future performance? Many feel that he is slightly below average to average at the hot corner NOW.

Similarly, KLaw loved Josh Bell and continues to believe in him. But Josh Bell was clearly overmatched last year and has no business on a big league roster right now.

At various points over the last few years, Vlad has looked like toast. But he has also produced >.900 OPS for portions of a season.

Law picks an evaluative position and asserts that. But his assertions come across as ignoring the range of outcomes possible. And that's tough to swallow as a baseball observer.

Building a winner in Baltimore has always been and it will always be about starting pitching. When Law says we're the worst team in the division, it's because he thinks we have the worst farm system in the division and because he clearly doesn't believe that Arrieta, Tillman, and Bergesen are ready to make "the leap" or that Guthrie is a true ace (ummm, neither do I). I think we'll see if he's right or not this year. With this line-up, I think there will be no more of the typical excuses we hear: the pitcher is pitching poorly b/c he's afraid to make a mistake and gets no run production.

The facts are, if our rotation steps up, it will mask all the other problems in the organization-- lack of international signings, poor position player development, etc. The key to us being good over the long term is producing good, young pitching. Period.

LOL...Yea Tony, I hide from other opinions. How about you continue reading other posts before you respond to this one and you will see how silly this sounds.

However, if Law was praising the Orioles, you can bet there wouldn't be comments like the one Carolinaoriole said.

When Law has praised Britton, Tillman and Arrieta, how many posters have come on here bashing his opinion about them?

I'm not talking about carolinaorioles post, I'm talking about you agreeing with Law. If you think this team is going in the wrong direction and will finish last just say it.

I'll agree with Law when I agree with him and I'll disagree with him when he says dumb, uneducated things like the Orioles are going in the wrong direction.

This is an Orioles message board. Of course more people are going to comment against negative stuff. I don't see what's so earth shattering over that?

Well, apparently your version of the truth might hurt, but I think it's a bunch of crap.

The Orioles added two players in their prime in Reynolds and Hardy and filled in areas of need with solid veterans without blocking a single realistic minor league option.

It's pipe dream to think the Orioles just took $8 million from their scouting and development budget. Guess what, the Orioles weren't going to spend that money on scouting regardless. People like Law and other so-called experts in the national media have no clue how things work in the organization so they assume money spent here means money not spent elsewhere.

The Orioles did exactly what they should have done this offseason. They improved in four positions in their lineup without touching their core young starting pitchers.

I'd like to know what these experts think we should have done this offseason? I guess the Orioles are not suppose to better themselves because clearly we are not going to contend right? Bullcrap!

We have our core pitching prospects (minus Britton) here now. Wieters is here now. It's time to get out of the defeatist attitude that the Orioles are supposed to just lay down. Lay down until when? When in the hell are we supposed to "go for it?" Who in the hell are we waiting on?

Should the Orioles do more in international scouting? ABSO-Freakin'-lutely. Should the Orioles pour more money into the Rule-4 draft and hiring more scouts? Sure. But anyone who thinks the $8 million spent on Vlad somehow set us back just doesn't get how things work.

The Orioles success hinges on the continued development of the young starting pitchers, along with the development of players like Markakis, Jones, and Wieters.

I've been a critic of MacPhail when I thought it needed to be said, but at the same time I'm giving him credit for making this team much better than it was last year. Did the Red Sox improve? Absolutely. Are we in the toughest Division in baseball? Right on the mark!

But at the end of the day I don't see how anyone can not think this team is better than the team from last year, a team who's historically bad start made their record much worse than it should have been.

We might not contend this year, I certainly don't know, but I do know that if things break for the team that they can be much more competitive and could be in the wild card hunt.

I completely and utterly reject any notion that this off season hurt the organization's development in any way. If we were trading young core pieces for guys like Lee or Vlad then I could understand, but the only player we gave up of value this offseason with David Hernandez and Kevin Gregg was signed as his replacement.

The only truth is the haters are hating because it's convenient. The Orioles are going to be continually bashed in the national press until they start to win. I completely understand that, but it's sad to see some around here buy into what the national media tells them is right.

Maybe someone shot me up with orange koolaid steroids or something but I tell you what, for the first time in many, many years, I believe in this team. I believe for once they have the horses to challenge for a wildcard if some things go right.

I'd be shocked and disappointed if this team doesn't win at least 85 games. That won't win them a WC, but it certainly shows they are moving in the right, not wrong direction.

This post isn't helping me and my excitement level for this coming season! It's now at an 11!

The more I think about this article the more I think that Law just stole it from Rosenthal!:laughlol:

Basically Law seems to think Reynolds is an old, bad baseball player who will spread bad habits among young players, Reimold is a diamond in the rough who needs a chance, and Vlad is done and his$ 8MM would better spent on the draft, and because of these things, we have little chance to do better than 5th this year. No mention of the key to the O's success short term or long term; Matusz, Arrieta, Bergeson, Tillman, and Brittion?.......:scratchchinhmm:

In general, I like Law and respect his opinions. He usually does not slam 1-year contracts even when others classify them as "overpaying" because they are low-risk maneuvers. So I am a bit surprised at his trashing of the O's offseason moves.

His main weakness in evaluations is that he stubbornly clings to his past assessments. While he does admit when players do change, he is slow to come around on those assessments.

Mark Reynolds WAS a bad defender, perhaps the worst fielding 3B in 2008 according to the fielding bible. But is that an accurate assessment of Reynold's capabilities and his future performance? Many feel that he is slightly below average to average at the hot corner NOW.

Similarly, KLaw loved Josh Bell and continues to believe in him. But Josh Bell was clearly overmatched last year and has no business on a big league roster right now.

At various points over the last few years, Vlad has looked like toast. But he has also produced >.900 OPS for portions of a season.

Law picks an evaluative position and asserts that. But his assertions come across as ignoring the range of outcomes possible. And that's tough to swallow as a baseball observer.

Great post. It seems the Orioles move went against his "supreme" scouting ability by going to get Reynolds over a clearly over matched Bell. I'll take Showalter's evaluation over Law everyday of the week. As for Reynolds, I haven't seen him play much at 3B so I'll withhold judgement, but clearly Law is again in the minority if he feels Reynolds is a butcher at 3B.

Archived