Matt Hobgood Curveball/Fastball Arm Angle Comparison

oriolesprospects

What a wasted pick. I would have loved any of 3 players picked right behind him.

6. Zach Wheeler (A) - 3.99 ERA, 70 Ks in 60 inn, 0 HRs allowed

7. Mike Minor (AA/AAA) - 3.44 ERA in 120 inn, 146 Ks:eektf:,

8. Mike Leake - (MLB) - 8-4 4.23 ERA, would have been a nice addition

I know you can argue that this can be done for every draft, the "what ifs", but IMO, if you pick that high you need to get an impact player. 1 of these 3 players picked right behind Hobgood very likely would have been picked by us if we were worred about drafting an impact player, not a bargain. Wheeler and Minor would both be top 3 in our Minor League orginization rankings while Leake would probably be in our starting rotation already.

So, if Jordan had drafted Wheeler, Minor or Leake, and they subsequently injured their rotator cuff, would that be Jordan's fault?

Injuries are always possible, though maybe more likely with high school pitchers.

So, if Jordan had drafted Wheeler, Minor or Leake, and they subsequently injured their rotator cuff, would that be Jordan's fault?

Injuries are always possible, though maybe more likely with high school pitchers.

No, but in fairness the 3 of them weren't 8-15 spot overdrafts, there is just a lot of extra scrutiny because of that.

Exactly. Im not saying another one of those guys couldnt of been hurt, but the fact that he was such a reach, then gets hurt puts an even more bitter taste in my mouth.

At this point, we don't know (1) how serious Hobgood's injury is, or (2) when the injury occurred. Frankly, I'd feel a lot better about things if Hobgood hurt his shoulder in 2009, after he was drafted. That way, it's possible that Jordan's scouting take on Hobgood was correct at the time he made it, and Hobgood's poor performance since then has been because he was hurt and hadn't treated the injury, rather than because Jordan simply passed on other guys who were better based on a poor judgment call. And, it leaves open the possibility that Hobgood's injury will respond to proper treatment and he will then show why it was that Jordan picked him at no. 5. On the other hand, if Hobgood's injury is much more recent, then it seems pretty unlikely he's going to become a truly top prospect even if he heals up.

"If" he just strained his RTC then the picture of him throwing a FB at 3/4 angle as stated earlier does make sense as it is easier on the group of muscles. The primary job of the RTC (4 tiny muscles) is to prevent the ball of the shoulder (humerus) slamming into the socket (glenoid and labrum of the scapula aka shoulder blade). That issue of slamming into the socket is avoided below shoulder height so the more horizontal you go the less stress there is. However, a release point of a couple of cm to the horizontal vs. normal at speeds in the 80s and 90s can equate to 6-12"s off on where the pitch actually goes when it reaches the plate. Could explain his inconsitancies last year. It seems like 2011 for the Orioles minors is a continuation of 2010 nightmare. Can never have enough arms in the minors!!!

"If" he just strained his RTC then the picture of him throwing a FB at 3/4 angle as stated earlier does make sense as it is easier on the group of muscles. The primary job of the RTC (4 tiny muscles) is to prevent the ball of the shoulder (humerus) slamming into the socket (glenoid and labrum of the scapula aka shoulder blade). That issue of slamming into the socket is avoided below shoulder height so the more horizontal you go the less stress there is. However, a release point of a couple of cm to the horizontal vs. normal at speeds in the 80s and 90s can equate to 6-12"s off on where the pitch actually goes when it reaches the plate. Could explain his inconsitancies last year. It seems like 2011 for the Orioles minors is a continuation of 2010 nightmare. Can never have enough arms in the minors!!!

Yeah I learned this one the hard way. To this day I can't throw completely overhand after I tore mine. The harder I throw the more sidearmed I get.

Hobgood says he feels great and the MRI went fine. He will be in rehab mode for another month and then re-evaluated. Jeff Z says that would mean he would be on the mound in a game by the first week of July if all goes well.

Glass half full version. The Debbie Downer in me requires a censor for my comment. I wish him well in recuperation and rehab! :)

I'm kind of surprised his coaches didn't pick up on it.

I would guess that because the minors have fewer coaches, and these sort of issues are not picked up as quickly as it would be in the majors. Plus as guys tire their mechanics will naturally start to suffer. I believe he was stating his arm was sore last year and so it was viewed as a natural occurance. These are purely guesses on my part though.

Archived