Shannon won't be Maryland defensive coordinator

Tony-OH

His lazy a-- will just be sitting around doing tv gigs, mumbling incoherently, while collecting Miami's 1.5 mil buyout. You guys can do better than a simplistic base cover 2 with no blitz packages IMO.

Perhaps, but his Florida recruiting chops would have been huge.

His lazy a-- will just be sitting around doing tv gigs, mumbling incoherently, while collecting Miami's 1.5 mil buyout. You guys can do better than a simplistic base cover 2 with no blitz packages IMO.

As the DC at Miami, his defenses were always among the best in the country, especially in creating turnovers IIRC. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the talent he had, but that still only gets you so far.

And while I don't think MD would suddenly be getting major 5-star recruits from Florida if Shannon were working down there for them, I'm sure that the caliber of recruits he'd bring in would be a noticeable improvement over what the Terps currently get.

If there's a better available option out there to be the DC, I sure don't see who it could possibly be.

The point is moot now, but Randy wore out his welcome at many a high school in the state of Florida, even S. Fla. I don't think he'd be the recruiting monster down there that a lot of people are touting him as. I guess this takes away from a lot of the spotlight for the Canes/Terps game next year.

As the DC at Miami' date=' his defenses were always among the best in the country, especially in creating turnovers IIRC. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the talent he had, but that still only gets you so far.

And while I don't think MD would suddenly be getting major 5-star recruits from Florida [b']if Shannon were working down there for them, I'm sure that the caliber of recruits he'd bring in would be a noticeable improvement over what the Terps currently get.

[/b]

If there's a better available option out there to be the DC, I sure don't see who it could possibly be.

Missed this at first, and could be valid.

Ron Vanderlinden may be coming back to MD.

I don't see this happening. Vanderlinden is a likely successor for the Head Coaching job at Penn State when Joe Paterno retires, which at age 85, should be very soon.

I'm more upset about being rejected by Shannon. He was arguably the best option out there, and this is a bit of a slap in the face to Edsall. Going from best to second best, is never good.

I've heard a few names thrown out there sense Shannon won't be coming . On the radio they were saying Penn state d-line ast coach Larry Johnson. I don't know much about the guy except son played in the NFL.

I really wanted us to get Shannon and think he would of been huge for this defense , I really hope Edsall has something up his sleeve

I don't see this happening. Vanderlinden is a likely successor for the Head Coaching job at Penn State when Joe Paterno retires, which at age 85, should be very soon.

I'm more upset about being rejected by Shannon. He was arguably the best option out there, and this is a bit of a slap in the face to Edsall. Going from best to second best, is never good.

I don't see it as a rejection. It simply makes perfect sense for Shannon not to take the job if he'd have to forfeit a $1.5 million buyout. As the DC, Maryland would probably only pay him about half that amount per year. So if you're Shannon, do you take a 50% pay cut to go coach, or do you take $1.5 million to do nothing, and maybe even make a little more cash by doing some TV/radio work? Easy choice, IMO.

And there is no way UMd should have paid him $1.5 million to be a DC, so I have no problem with them not matching that amount.

I've heard a few names thrown out there sense Shannon won't be coming . On the radio they were saying Penn state d-line ast coach Larry Johnson. I don't know much about the guy except son played in the NFL.

I really wanted us to get Shannon and think he would of been huge for this defense , I really hope Edsall has something up his sleeve

I keep hearing Larry Johnson's name, but I honestly don't know if he'd be a good DC or not. He obviously has great local ties that would help with recruiting, but you'd think if he was defensive coordinator material someone would have already lured him away from Penn St.

To be fair, people said that fifteen years ago. I think at this point he's going to coach that program until long after he passes away.

Archived