Shannon won't be Maryland defensive coordinator

Tony-OH

So they hired a guy. I don't think this is a fanpage though. http://twitter.com/VetoBradford

Maryland football. Going from good to good. At least they kept season tickets real cheap this year. I'd be pretty PO'ed if they raised the prices and then entered the season with this. In the least they could still give us tickets to the Notre Dame game. I've got a feeling Kevin Anderson will be hoping the housing market is better in a few years.

I've heard a few names thrown out there sense Shannon won't be coming . On the radio they were saying Penn state d-line ast coach Larry Johnson. I don't know much about the guy except son played in the NFL.

I really wanted us to get Shannon and think he would of been huge for this defense , I really hope Edsall has something up his sleeve

I keep hearing Larry Johnson's name' date=' but I honestly don't know if he'd be a good DC or not. He obviously has great local ties that would help with recruiting, but you'd think if he was defensive coordinator material someone would have already lured him away from Penn St.[/quote']

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/16/larry-johnson-turned-down-terps-too/

Johnson told Edsall he could not in good conscience entertain thoughts about the Maryland DC job after having assured several PSU recruits he had just signed that he would be coaching them next season, the source said.

So they hired a guy. I don't think this is a fanpage though. http://twitter.com/VetoBradford

Maryland football. Going from good to good. At least they kept season tickets real cheap this year. I'd be pretty PO'ed if they raised the prices and then entered the season with this. In the least they could still give us tickets to the Notre Dame game. I've got a feeling Kevin Anderson will be hoping the housing market is better in a few years.

We might be lucky if we get good to good out of this program. Have you seen the passing stats So Miss had under our new DC? Let's just say that teams threw the ball at will against those guys.....and we're not talking about prolific pass offenses like Oklahoma and Oklahoma St.....we're talking Conference USA here. Oh, and while he was defensive coordinator he also served as secondary coach.....so you'd think that, you know, pass defense just might be a specialty of his. I bet Kenny Tate is sooooooooo glad he didn't declare for the NFL now.

Maryland Terrapins Football, from good to :puke:

The Terps better win and win often next year because they just totally missed out on a golden opportunity to excite their fanbase this off season.

Which strongly supports the opinion of many Maryland supporters that this transition was so poorly handled by Kevin Anderson that he should be fired for incompetence.

I'm sooooo not excited for MD football next year. Please don't interpret this a rehashing the debate on the HC hire. It just seems like some good people left and the school blew an opportunity to replace "good" with "great."

Are you that convinced that Edsall is not capable of being great, and/or that Leach automatically would have been? Or are you suggesting that there was a better option for a splashy hire for defensive coordinator, a position that opened unexpectedly when the guy that was hired to stay on decided to go back home to New England? How can the Terps be faulted if their first two choices to replace Brown turned them down to a) not give up $1.5M and b) honor a commitment to stay at their current school, where it could also be speculated he might be in line for a promotion to DC in the near future based on the age of the current HC?

I was excited about the idea of Shannon as DC, same as a lot of people, but have no idea how he would have fit in with the program, how much transition there would have been, his fit with the players and coaches already in the program, etc. I'm not thrilled with how it filtered down to selecting the new DC, and don't really know enough about the guy to know what to expect.

But the more I learn about Randy Edsall the more I believe he really was the best man for the job and will be a great hire. Sure, I would have preferred Urban Meyer, but he wasn't coming. Edsall is the coach of the Maryland Terrapin football team. That means I will support him and root for him and his players until he is no longer the coach. I may criticize some of his decisions, question his actions with regard to play calling, recruiting, staffing or other things, but I will remain a loyal Terrapin fan and give the man every opportunity to succeed before I write him off as a failure or disappointment. My expectations for him and his team are very high, and I believe he can and will succeed, building on the foundation of the program that is in better shape when Friedgen left than when he arrived.

There's a cliche that goes something along the lines of, you can tell you won't like the movie by looking at the cast. And While I have no problem with Edsall himself, I'm not very impressed with the pedigree of the coaches he's put on his staff. Even though the DC situation wasn't his fault, Edsall could have at least made the guy he hired as LB coach (Dudzinski?) the DC instead.....since the guy coached under Don Brown at UMass you at least know that he'll run the same defense the players have been accustomed to the past two seasons. Who knows what this Bradford guy is going to try to do?

I'm not going to be so presumptuous as to grade Edsall the coach before he has even run a practice, let alone coached a game. However, Edsall the hire does get a failing grade as far as accomplishing the stated goal of re-energizing the fanbase, but that's on Kevin Anderson. I will mention one positive that has been apparent with Edsall thus far....I've heard he has already done a very good job of reaching out to the MD high school coaches and building relationships with them. That's something that Ralph Friedgen didn't do a very good job of.....and based on his track record, it's safe to assume Mike Leach wouldn't have either. But ultimately what will matter is how many of these coach's top players end up at UM. We'll see.

Are you that convinced that Edsall is not capable of being great, and/or that Leach automatically would have been? Or are you suggesting that there was a better option for a splashy hire for defensive coordinator, a position that opened unexpectedly when the guy that was hired to stay on decided to go back home to New England? How can the Terps be faulted if their first two choices to replace Brown turned them down to a) not give up $1.5M and b) honor a commitment to stay at their current school, where it could also be speculated he might be in line for a promotion to DC in the near future based on the age of the current HC?

I was excited about the idea of Shannon as DC, same as a lot of people, but have no idea how he would have fit in with the program, how much transition there would have been, his fit with the players and coaches already in the program, etc. I'm not thrilled with how it filtered down to selecting the new DC, and don't really know enough about the guy to know what to expect.

But the more I learn about Randy Edsall the more I believe he really was the best man for the job and will be a great hire. Sure, I would have preferred Urban Meyer, but he wasn't coming. Edsall is the coach of the Maryland Terrapin football team. That means I will support him and root for him and his players until he is no longer the coach. I may criticize some of his decisions, question his actions with regard to play calling, recruiting, staffing or other things, but I will remain a loyal Terrapin fan and give the man every opportunity to succeed before I write him off as a failure or disappointment. My expectations for him and his team are very high, and I believe he can and will succeed, building on the foundation of the program that is in better shape when Friedgen left than when he arrived.

Again, I'm not going to rehash the whole search process or debate whether or not the Edsall hire was a good one. I'll even take it a step further in that it has nothing to do w/Shannon not being hired. I think it has more to do w/BoB's comments about Anderson looking to do something to energize the fanbase and not doing so, even though Edsall could very well be a good hire.

I would be excited if I knew what this football team's identity was. Will the offense be innovative and score 30 pts/game? Will they have an attacking defense? Based on the OC and DC hirings, I still don't know as neither individual seems to have had any success anywhere.

Archived