ESPN Radio discusses Pujols to O's in Free Agency

KSDonDada01

What do you think Pujols would said to something like a 6/210 deal with a player option that could make it 7/240?

My biggest fear is the final 3-4 seasons of the 10/300 contract. With a 6/210 (or 7/240) deal, Pujols gets $5M more per season and will still likely have a chance to sign another contract or two (1-2 year deals, of course) after that contract. It's certainly not as much guaranteed money, but it gives Pujols a lot more flexibility. Especially when you think that even if he drops off to a .850-.900 OPS level, he'll still be extremely valuable (Vlad got $8M this year as a DH, imagine what that figure would be 8 years down the road). If he only drops off to a ~.950 OPS guy, he could easily sign a 2/50 contract (or more) following the 6/210 (or 7/240) deal.

At the same time the O's are freed of at least 3/60 (and maybe 4/90) in what will be the least productive years of the contract. It's likely he'll be worth $30M+ for the first 4-5 years of the deal and still a $20M+ player for the final 2-4 years. When you look at it that way, the O's are still getting good value from such a huge contract. At that to the fact that the O's really have no future 1B and it fills a huge void.

Just a thought.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Pujols goes on the FA market the chief teams will be the Cubs and Texas. And he will be competing with Fielder, who could be seen as a great bargain compared the Albert. Neither Texas or the Cubs will be offering anywhere near 10/300. St louis can probably sign him for less than they are offering now.

What do you think Pujols would said to something like a 6/210 deal with a player option that could make it 7/240?

My biggest fear is the final 3-4 seasons of the 10/300 contract. With a 6/210 (or 7/240) deal, Pujols gets $5M more per season and will still likely have a chance to sign another contract or two (1-2 year deals, of course) after that contract. It's certainly not as much guaranteed money, but it gives Pujols a lot more flexibility. Especially when you think that even if he drops off to a .850-.900 OPS level, he'll still be extremely valuable (Vlad got $8M this year as a DH, imagine what that figure would be 8 years down the road). If he only drops off to a ~.950 OPS guy, he could easily sign a 2/50 contract (or more) following the 6/210 (or 7/240) deal.

At the same time the O's are freed of at least 3/60 (and maybe 4/90) in what will be the least productive years of the contract. It's likely he'll be worth $30M+ for the first 4-5 years of the deal and still a $20M+ player for the final 2-4 years. When you look at it that way, the O's are still getting good value from such a huge contract. At that to the fact that the O's really have no future 1B and it fills a huge void.

Just a thought.

If Pujols wants a 10 year deal, he may have to get a Manny contract, where the final two or three years are all team options. That way both he and the team have a bit of security. If he hits, the team will continue to pick up options.

If Pujols wants a 10 year deal, he may have to get a Manny contract, where the final two or three years are all team options. That way both he and the team have a bit of security. If he hits, the team will continue to pick up options.

I think it may actually be the $300 million that he wants. The 10 years is just to bring the average annual salary down.

I disagree...Boston just traded a lot for AGon and will be giving him a big time extension soon enough.

Now, Papi will be gone, so would they move AGon to DH? I doubt that.

You're right, if you're thinking like Theo. John Henry is a huge Pujols fan..I can absolutely see the Sox taking a run at Albert, even after what they gave up to get AGon.

I don't see it happening, but I do find it interesting that recently the talking heads would come up with a litany of reasons why no free agent would even consider Baltimore. Now they have us as the front runner for the greatest player of a generation.

You're right, if you're thinking like Theo. John Henry is a huge Pujols fan..I can absolutely see the Sox taking a run at Albert, even after what they gave up to get AGon.

Agon is going to get at least $25M per and so will Albert when all is said and done. You really think Boston can sustain $50M+ in payroll per year on 2 players? I know their pockets are deep but there is still a huge difference between theirs and the cavernous pockets of the Yankees.

I think this is a plausible scenario:

The Orioles go 81-81 in 2011. The young pitching shows decent progress, as do Adam Jones and Matt Wieters. Not All-Star season good, but good enough to believe the teams core is on an upward trend. Attendance improves a fair amount, and fans are clearly excited for 2012. At .500, the Orioles are about 10 wins away from contending.

The addition of Pujols would make the Orioles a legitimate contender. Furthermore, it would put copious amounts of fan in the seats.

Sell-outs every night, national media coverage, the ability to embarrass the Yankee's...all very enticing to Peter Angelos.

Archived