This Week In "Stay Classy, Fans of College Football in the State of Alabama"...

BaltimoreTerp

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41630127/ns/sports/

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) - Auburn University says someone deliberately poisoned trees at Toomer's Corner, and that the live oaks likely can't be saved.

The university said in a statement Wednesday that a herbicide commonly used to kill trees was applied "in lethal amounts" to the soil around the trees. Toomer's Corner has long been a site where Auburn fans celebrate big wins, including the football national championship on Jan. 10.

The university says a caller to a syndicated radio show on Jan. 27 claimed he had applied the herbicide.

The show...

http://www.finebaum.com/Article.asp?id=1962145&spid=38693

Funny how everyone seems to be forgetting the recent and rampant vandalism to the walk of champions here at Alabama...Auburn just relishes in playing the role of Alabama's little sister.

Seriously, when your tradition consists of throwing toilet paper on some trees you're kinda asking for it....

btw, in no way am I condoning the poisoning of the trees. I think it is way over the top and unacceptable. But lets not act like this was unprovoked.

btw, in no way am I condoning the poisoning of the trees. I think it is way over the top and unacceptable. But lets not act like this was unprovoked.

The guy did it the day after the Iron Bowl. Are you saying that spotting Bama 24 in their house and beating them is provocation?

Funny how everyone seems to be forgetting the recent and rampant vandalism to the walk of champions here at Alabama...Auburn just relishes in playing the role of Alabama's little sister.

Seriously, when your tradition consists of throwing toilet paper on some trees you're kinda asking for it....

The guy did it the day after the Iron Bowl. Are you saying that spotting Bama 24 in their house and beating them is provocation?

Disregarding the fact that he did this before they vandalized the Walk of Champions, I hardly think the proper retribution for some petty vandalism is to kill two 130 year old trees. I hate that I'm even tangentially associated with this by being (a) in the state of Alabama and (b) a Bama fan.

Disregarding the fact that he did this before they vandalized the Walk of Champions, I hardly think the proper retribution for some petty vandalism is to kill two 130 year old trees. I hate that I'm even tangentially associated with this by being (a) in the state of Alabama and (b) a Bama fan.

Agreed. It's pathetic for an Auburn fan to vandalize property at Alabama, and vice versa. It gives the state a bad name, and God knows it doesn't need more reasons to be the butt of a joke.

Fox 6 in Bham reporting a man named Harvey Updike arrested in connection to Toomer's Corner poisoning. Held on $50,000 bond.

6 minutes ago via web

http://twitter.com/#!/finebaum/status/38250960795086848

EDIT: Harvey Almorn Updyke of Dadeville, AL. What an idiot. He used what I assume is a traceable pesticide and gave his name and location on the radio.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/02/harvey_updike_arrested_in_toom.html

Mugshot

And in more depressing news...

http://www.sportspickle.com/news/5261/auburn-fan-poisoned-by-lethal-doses-of-salt-and-saturated-fats

A lifelong Auburn Tigers fan reportedly has just months to live due to what could only be considered intentional poisoning via years of ingesting cheap and unhealthy fast food, which is full of known toxins.

The poisoning of one of their most massively recognizable fans has caused many Auburn fans to point the finger at fans of rival Alabama for doing this to Stutman, as half of the state’s fast food workers are Alabama supporters. But investigators are so far not blaming at Alabama fans, as thousands of them appear to have been poisoned, too.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20110218/NEWS/110219575/1007?Title=Alabama-supporters-raise-money-to-help-replace-poisoned-trees-

Nice gesture considering no Alabama students or anyone remotely affiliated with the University had anything to do with this...

That is a great gesture.

I was thinking last night...this guy is likely going to prison. The sentence appears to be about ten years. He's also a former state trooper, and at 62 probably didn't retire that long ago.

1) You have to figure that there's a chance that there are people in the state prison he helped put there.

2) You have to figure a large percentage of the prison population are fans of Auburn.

3) There's a decent chance those two groups cross in a couple of individuals.

4) Prisoners aren't exactly known for their understanding and forgiveness.

What is the over/under on how long he lasts before he ends up with a shiv in the neck? Six months? Three? Less than the fat guy at the beginning of Shawshank?

That is a great gesture.

I was thinking last night...this guy is likely going to prison. The sentence appears to be about ten years. He's also a former state trooper, and at 62 probably didn't retire that long ago.

1) You have to figure that there's a chance that there are people in the state prison he helped put there.

2) You have to figure a large percentage of the prison population are fans of Auburn.

3) There's a decent chance those two groups cross in a couple of individuals.

4) Prisoners aren't exactly known for their understanding and forgiveness.

What is the over/under on how long he lasts before he ends up with a shiv in the neck? Six months? Three? Less than the fat guy at the beginning of Shawshank?

definitely all good points however this guy was a former Texas state trooper so its not likely many people in whatever Alabama prison he ends up were put there because of him.

Also, this guy posted bail today. He needs some serious police protection, he doesn't exactly have many supporters right now.

Am I the only one that thinks people are making too big a deal out of this? 10 years for killing some trees? Leonard Little and Donte Stallworth didn't serve that amount of jail time combined...

Well, I'm not going to argue it. I could, but if you're going right to those guys as a comparison, it isn't worth it because of how completely different and complex the situations are.

Archived