This Week In "Stay Classy, Fans of College Football in the State of Alabama"...

BaltimoreTerp

Fine, use Michael Vick instead. Killing/torturing dogs = what, two years? Killing trees = 10?

That's a better comparison.

However, it's still different states with different laws with different penalties. He's being charged with "criminal mischief", which apparently is a felony with that length of a sentence. Vick was found guilty in a different state on a different charge with a different penalty.

It's like the people that use the Little/Stallworth examples against Plaxico Burriss. Yeah, they killed people drunk driving while he just shot himself in the leg. However, especially in Stallworth's case, there are so many other variables in and around the cases that there is no way to make that comparison.

I guess this is my question. Would people be making as big a deal about this if the moron had poisoned two random trees on the Auburn campus?

Probably not, but it is a state landmark and they are 130 year old oaks. There was also a ton of malice involved, obviously. He didn't just kill trees; he killed trees with the intent of hurting (emotionally, at least) a large group of people.

Yea I see what you're saying and I really don't mean to come off like some guy that throws beer cans into the woods and sticks needles into a Smokey the Bear voodoo doll.

I guess not being from Alabama it's hard to understand what it means to the fans but I just imagine someone vandalizing a landmark on the UM campus and while it would piss me off, I wouldn't imagine 10 years in jail as a suitable punishment.

Yea I see what you're saying and I really don't mean to come off like some guy that throws beer cans into the woods and sticks needles into a Smokey the Bear voodoo doll.

I guess not being from Alabama it's hard to understand what it means to the fans but I just imagine someone vandalizing a landmark on the UM campus and while it would piss me off, I wouldn't imagine 10 years in jail as a suitable punishment.

I think this goes beyond most vandalism. He possibly killed two 130 year old oak trees and poisoned the ground all around them.

I think comparing it to Maryland would be something like killing a bunch of the trees lining the sides of the mall. It would damage the visual image of the campus in a way that is not very easy to repair, as good trees take years or decades to grow.

I also think you're focusing way too much on the "ten years for killing trees" thing. He's charged with a felony, "criminal mischief", that involves a potential sentence of ten years. With those trees, even counting just the costs of trying to save them and having to replace them and ignoring the emotional costs altogether, it could easily climb into felony territory. Add in the emotional significance, and it is essentially destroying a state landmark, which would definitely get you in that kind of trouble.

I also think you're focusing way too much on the "ten years for killing trees" thing. He's charged with a felony, "criminal mischief", that involves a potential sentence of ten years. With those trees, even counting just the costs of trying to save them and having to replace them and ignoring the emotional costs altogether, it could easily climb into felony territory. Add in the emotional significance, and it is essentially destroying a state landmark, which would definitely get you in that kind of trouble.

Also, there was a possibility that poison seeps into the water system and poisons people.

• 3 months later...

Does this guy actually have multiple personalities, or is the author taking some literary license to explain how he can be both remorseful and proud of himself at the same time?

Does this guy actually have multiple personalities, or is the author taking some literary license to explain how he can be both remorseful and proud of himself at the same time?

Seems like a bit of literary license. He's just a sick, sad old man if you ask me.

Archived