BA ranks Machado as no. 14 prospect; Britton 28

Frobby

I just hope we have the people in place to develop Machado properly.

I'm hoping on the fact that Machado is just too talented to miss, I have no faith they will develop him correctly. Well, maybe if Bordick is hanging out with him, but I'm really hoping he's just a natural talent.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, Callis definitely isn't saying Machado is Alex Rodriguez. He's saying that he could easily be a .750 OPS guy and stick at shortstop with solid defense, and guys like that are very valuable.

He is not a five-tool shortstop. Callis knows that. I don't know why he keeps saying it.

And I'm saying he could easily be a .750 OPS guy and probably stick at shortstop.

I think the Orioles could do better on the international market and by not passig on a guy like Matzek in favor of a guy like Hobgood.

Of the 21 players I listed, Montero, Sanchez, Banuelos and Iglesias were foreign signs -- three by NY, one from Boston.

So...you agree? Except for the five-tool part, which I agree is hyperbole and wrong?

Yes I agree that Machado is a top prospect and I think he has the ceiling of an all-star shortstop or third baseman.

What I don't understand is why it's not enough to just say that about him, why Callis and others have had to make things up to make him sound more impressive. I don't get it.

That's been my criticism from the start. I love Machado.

Yes I agree that Machado is a top prospect and I think he has the ceiling of an all-star shortstop or third baseman.

What I don't understand is why it's not enough to just say that about him, why Callis and others have had to make things up to make him sound more impressive. I don't get it.

That's been my criticism from the start. I love Machado.

I think power at the SS position is equated to two tools.

You've been talking up Britton for years now right? I remember reading your glowing praise before I even knew who he was. Looks like you nailed it.

Thanks, but I start patting myself on the back after he has some success in the major leagues. :D

In actuality, Joe Jordan gets a lot of the credit though. He was talking him up and talking up when I went to see him at Aberdeen. I liked what I saw in his sinking fastball but his slider and was still in development and his change was non-existent back then. However, maybe due to the fact that there wasn't a lot of guys to get excited about, I went with Britton as the number ten prospect in order to get him some attention.

I saw him again the next year and his slider really improved and he flashed a change but his breakout to no doubter in my book was after I saw him in Frederick. He recorded 16 ground ball outs and despite giving up a three run homer in the sixth inning of that game, he held his stuff into the 7th. I saw a 91-93 MPH sinking fastball that touched 95 on occasion and he threw a couple Bedard-esque sliders and few good changeups.

The command at times was iffy on the off speed stuff but that started to come around at Bowie. His one inning outing in the Futures game was nothing short of electric.

On top of it all, he lives and breaths baseball and is a very smart pitcher who keeps his composure well on the mound.

It will be very interesting to see him compete this spring but it would not shock me in the least bit if he ends up making the rotation. If he doesn't, it's not a setback at all so really he has no pressure. He just needs to go out, stay healthy and he'll be in the big leagues soon enough. When he gets here he'll be ready top stay.

I think power at the SS position is equated to two tools.

First of all, Machado has merely above average power at SS, not the huge power potential that some assumed by reading reports at the time of the draft. Think 15-20 HR, maybe 20-25. If he fills out his trunk/hips, he could add more power, but that would likely facilitate a move to 3B.

Second of all, what you said doesn't make any sense to me at all. Sorry.

First of all, Machado has merely above average power at SS, not the huge power potential that some assumed by reading reports at the time of the draft. Think 15-20 HR, maybe 20-25. If he fills out his trunk/hips, he could add more power, but that would likely facilitate a move to 3B.

Second of all, what you said doesn't make any sense to me at all. Sorry.

Perhaps he was joking?

20 HR power for a SS is a rarity. I'd call that plus for the position. On the scouting scale, maybe it's "only" 40-50 power when viewed from universe of all offensive players. But normalizing for position, that could easily be called plus.

It's also very common for us to think #-tool = plus plus at all tools. When commentators spout off about 4-tool player or 5-tool player, they often mean for a plus tool standpoint. To me though, if a guy is average or slightly above average at a particular tool, wouldn't that qualify him to be recognized in that category? In other words, as long as the player is not slightly below average in a particular category, he does not get docked.

It will be very interesting to see him compete this spring but it would not shock me in the least bit if he ends up making the rotation. If he doesn't, it's not a setback at all so really he has no pressure. He just needs to go out, stay healthy and he'll be in the big leagues soon enough. When he gets here he'll be ready top stay.

Callis thinks that Britton should start in AAA, for all the usual reasons relating to free agency and arbitration: http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/02/callis-feels-os-best-move-is-for-britton-to-start-at-triple-a.html

He also mentions Klein and Bundy as two prospects he likes in our system.

Archived