REGGIE JACKSON'S Lost Season

OFFNY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On April 2, Finley rocked baseball by trading two of his most combative contract holdouts?Jackson and lefty pitcher Ken Holtzman?to the Orioles in exchange for outfielder Don Baylor and pitchers Mike Torrez and Paul Mitchell.

Holtzman was more than happy to get out of Oakland and away from Finley, but Jackson was both shocked and hurt by the trade?so much so, in fact, that he seriously considered sitting out the 1976 season in protest. That is, unless the Orioles gave him a significant raise to come to Baltimore. "I have other alternatives," he told reporters. "I have a real estate business, a Pontiac dealership, a television contract, and obligations to people who work with me. Life has more to offer than hitting a ball over a fence."

The Orioles hoped that Jackson would report in time for their April 9 home opener against the Boston Red Sox, but those hopes quickly evaporated as the sulking slugger went fully M.I.A.?the press assumed he was laying low at one of his homes in Oakland or Arizona, but he was actually hiding out in Honolulu at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, while his representative Gary Walker handled negotiations from Tempe. Orioles catcher Dave Duncan (who'd played with Jackson on the A's from '67 to '72) greeted the news of the Jackson-Holtzman deal by announcing that he'd change uniform numbers so that Jackson could wear number 9 in Baltimore as he had in Oakland, and O's team leaders Jim Palmer and Brooks Robinson left Jackson enthusiastic and welcoming phone messages. But by the middle of the month, that initial enthusiasm had clearly dissipated.

"Is the Messiah coming back, or what?" Palmer facetiously asked a journalist on April 14, following a New York Times report that Jackson was demanding a five-year contract worth $3 million. "The fact that Reggie is not here has hurt the attitude of the club and it has hurt our performance on the field," raged the 1975 AL Cy Young winner. "Do you think it ever occurred to Jackson that there are 24 other guys over here counting on him?"

"I have personal affairs on the West Coast to take care of, too," added Holtzman. "But I'm a baseball player, so I'm here."

Orioles manager Earl Weaver took a more philosophical approach to the situation, telling the Sporting News that he was simply pretending Jackson was on the DL. "The way I look at it," he said, "this is just like having Reggie with a pulled muscle or in bed with the flu."

Jackson finally ended his holdout at the end of April, once the Orioles agreed to pay him $200,000 for 1976 along with an unsigned contract guaranteeing him the same amount for 1977. "That didn't mean I wasn't going to play hard," Jackson reflected later. "I had tremendous respect for the Oriole organization ... it was stable, it was polished, it had Earl Weaver, and the Orioles are at the top or near the top every season."

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/looking-back-at-reggie-jacksons-lost-season-in-baltimore-40-years-later

OFFNY said:

o

They stole my title !!! )  :eek:

"REGGIE JACKSON'S LOST SEASON" )  :cool:

(By Andrew Culbertson)

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/unenchanted-interlude-reggie-jacksons-lost-season-in-baltimore/

o

o

More plagiarism !!! ) xD

Looking Back at Reggie Jackson's Lost Season in Baltimore, 40 Years Later

(By Dan Epstein)

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/looking-back-at-reggie-jacksons-lost-season-in-baltimore-40-years-later

o

Yeah that was a major major mistake. According to reports at the time, Reggie was prepared to sign 4 years for $1 million. That was a bargain and the Os probably would have won the AL East those 4 years. And it's not hindsight, Hank Peters should have KNOWN that was a bargain price because Catfish Hunter received much more than that on the open market a year or two earlier. Maybe ownership wouldn't allow it, who knows. Peters called Reggie's proposal "mind-boggling". What a fool. It still irks me to this day.

Hank Peters was no fool. He built championship clubs. And, thou I met him only brief once, he was a fine person. Hindsight is hindsight is 20/20.

WEAVERMAN said:

Hank Peters was no fool. He built championship clubs. And, thou I met him only brief once, he was a fine person. Hindsight is hindsight is 20/20.

o

We'll never know for sure, but hypothetically, even if Hank Peters had matched George Steinbrenner's offer to Reggie (5 years, $2.96 Million), I don't think that Jackson would have stayed with the Orioles.

As the 1976 season was winding down in August and September, there was some talk about the possibility of Reggie staying with the Orioles if Peters had been willing to ante up $1 Million for 4 years, but I believe that that was just lip service from Jackson and the Orioles' front office. I remember when it was all happening, and I remember that while I was appreciating Jackson's solid season that he was having for the Orioles, I also knew in my 10 year-old heart that he was as good as gone, and that my Reggie/Orioles bragging rights historically would only last for that one season. :(

o

• 2 months later...

o

At the 1979 All-Star game, Jackson suited up in a Mariners uniform, due to the fact that he had forgotten to bring his Yankees uniform with him in his luggage.

Below are both an individual picture of Jackson donning a Mariners uniform AND the 1979 American League All-Star team photos.

In the team photo, Jackson is in the 2nd row, the 2nd from the left.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo 20131125-0855571.jpg

79al.jpg

o

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...