REGGIE JACKSON'S Lost Season

OFFNY

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2016 at 5:40 PM, OFFNY said:

We'll never know for sure, but hypothetically, even if Hank Peters had matched George Steinbrenner's offer to Reggie (5 years, $2.96 Million), I don't think that Jackson would have stayed with the Orioles.

As the 1976 season was winding down in August and September, there was some talk about the possibility of Reggie staying with the Orioles if Peters had been willing to ante up $1 Million for 4 years, but I believe that that was just lip service from Jackson and the Orioles' front office...

Reggie said that he signed with MFY because of his admiration of owner George Steinbrenner:

“George Steinbrenner outhustled everybody else,” said the lefthanded power hitter who will turn 31 on May 18. “Certain things have a lot more meaning than money. It was easy to see I could become a rich man. Some clubs offered several thousand more (than the Yankees), there was even the possibility of seven figures more."

“But George Steinbrenner dealt with me as a man and as a person. The man was scraping and hustling. We reached an accord on certain ideologies and philosophies. His expression of humanism is the reason I’m a Yankee. I feel like I’m a friend of his. I feel I can go and ask him to let me borrow his sports coat and he’ll give it to me. He’s like me. He’s a little crazy and he’s a hustler.”

Oh brother! They "reached an accord on certain ideologies and philosophies!" Steinbrenner's "expression of humanism is the reason I’m a Yankee." What a bag of hot air! Jackson sounds so full of sh!t. Those quotes come from a New York Daily News article dated November 30, 1976.

Another quote from that article...

“I’ll be in the World Series next year,” (Jackson) says, “either as a player or as an announcer for ABC. I don’t think I’ll be announcing.”

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2016 at 5:40 PM, OFFNY said:

o

We'll never know for sure, but hypothetically, even if Hank Peters had matched George Steinbrenner's offer to Reggie (5 years, $2.96 Million), I don't think that Jackson would have stayed with the Orioles.

As the 1976 season was winding down in August and September, there was some talk about the possibility of Reggie staying with the Orioles if Peters had been willing to ante up $1 Million for 4 years, but I believe that that was just lip service from Jackson and the Orioles' front office. I remember when it was all happening, and I remember that while I was appreciating Jackson's solid season that he was having for the Orioles, I also knew in my 10 year-old heart that he was as good as gone, and that my Reggie/Orioles bragging rights historically would only last for that one season. :(

o

On 12/13/2017 at 5:51 PM, Beef Supreme said:

Reggie said that he signed with MFY because of his admiration of owner George Steinbrenner:

Oh, brother !!! They "reached an accord on certain ideologies and philosophies !!!" Steinbrenner's expression of humanism is the reason Im a Yankee." What a bag of hot air !!! Jackson sounds so full of shit. Those quotes come from a New York Daily News article dated November 30, 1976. Another quote from that article ........

o

While that may be a a gross exaggeration, Jackson (in his exuberance of his newly-signed, ultra-rich contract) may have felt that way when he he first signed with the Yankees at the time. Steinbrenner offered more money to Jackson than any player had ever received in the history of the game, and money has a way of talking (particularly if it occurs in your first meetings/dealings with a  person, as was the case with Jackson and Steinbrenner at the time of the signing of the contract back in 1976.)

And ironically enough, one of the biggest reasons why Jackson chose to leave the Yankees in the 1981-1982 offseason was because of his disgust and his disdain for George Steinbrenner (as well as the crazy dealings that he had with the New York City press) in the 5 seasons that he played for them ........ in fact, when I read an article from the NY Daily News in June of 1987 while Jackson was playing his final MLB season for the Athletics, he (Jackson) asserted that if he knew of all the craziness that he would have to endure while playing for the Yankees ahead of time, he never would have signed that free-agent contract in the first place. And while it was easy for Jackson to make that claim after the fact (Jackson very well may have signed to play those 5 seasons for the Yankees EVEN IF HE KNEW all of the shit that he would be in for), just the fact that he had polar opposite feelings about Steinbrenner and his playing experience for the Yankees as a whole more than a decade after first signing to play with them is very telling/interesting. 

o

Ill be in the World Series next year, (Jackson) says, either as a player or as an announcer for ABC. I dont think Ill be announcing.

o

That assertion wound up being quite prophetic. 

o

• 1 year later...

o

At the 1993 All-Star game ........ 17 years after his one-year stint as an Oriole ........ Reggie turns a mix of boos and cheers into all cheers.

NOTE: ) Reggie gets a slap-me-five from the THE ORIOLBIRD as he is rounding 3rd base.

o

On 3/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, OFFNY said:

o

At the 1993 All-Star game ........ 17 years after his one-year stint as an Oriole ........ Reggie turns a mix of boos and cheers into all cheers.

NOTE: ) Reggie gets a slap-me-five from the THE ORIOLBIRD as he is rounding 3rd base.

o

I was there and remember Reggie really hamming it up.  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2011 at 1:32 PM, Frobby said:

The part I recall is that Reggie sat out the month of April before he played a game for us. He hit horribly though July 3 (.710 OPS). But he put up a .936 OPS the rest of the season, including a stretch in July where he homered six games in a row.

yup, what you remember is what I remember too. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

o

(DECEMBER, 1974)

Howard Cosell was 2 years ahead of the curve !!!

In December of 1974, 2 months after the Athletics had just won their 3 consecutive World Series championship, Reggie Jackson and Rollie Fingers were spotted on the sidelines of the Raiders in their season finale against the Cowboys. After mentioning that Athletics owner Charlie O. Finley had talked about wanting to trade Jackson, Cosell chimed in with, "Let's bring him to the big town, let him play with the Yankees or the Mets. What a player."

2 years later, free-agent Jackson signed what was then the richest contract of the history of baseball, a $2.96 Million, 5-year deal with George Steinbrenner's American League champion New York Yankees.

Fast forward to 1:34:35 ........

o

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 5:53 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was there and remember Reggie really hamming it up.  ?

Wow, I don't remember this at all. Cool to see it come back around to him getting a standing ovation from the Baltimore crowd.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

On 3/15/2019 at 5:53 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was there, and remember Reggie really hamming it up.  ?

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wow, I don't remember this at all. Cool to see it come back around to him getting a standing ovation from the Baltimore crowd.

o

That was cool to see.

Also, shortly after Chris Davis tied Reggie's franchise record for the most consecutive games with a home run (6), he was invited into the booth during a game, and talked with Jim Palmer and Gary Thorne about his brief time in Baltimore with the Orioles.

I like seeing friendly reunions of relationships that were previously contentious.

o

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

That was cool to see.

Also, shortly after Chris Davis tied Reggie's franchise record for the most consecutive games with a home run (6), he was invited into the booth during a game, and talked with Jim Palmer and Gary Thorne about his brief time in Baltimore with the Orioles.

I like seeing friendly reunions of relationships that were previously contentious.

o

Time heals a lot of wounds.

• Thanks 1

I was six for most of the 76 season.  My Naana took me to a couple games and I went to a handful with my mom and aunt.  Great times.  A cop recognized my Naana as we were leaving after one game and gave her a poker chip or something to "Show (it) at the door."  The guy at the door looked at her and whisked us off to a table with a little lamp on it.  It was really dark, but I could make out Chuck Thompson sitting at a table and then an Oriole would come in and sit down and talk for a bit.  The Hit and Run Club.  I was in Heaven.

That Reggie Jackson homer from the All-Star week at Camden Yards was great.  I volunteered for a couple days.  Someone had an extra ticket to the Home Run Derby, so I found myself sitting right behind the Orioles dugout.  I wish the video had the whole home run trot of Reggie's because he did that Regie Shuffle stutter-step around every base to the roar of the crowd.  Fun to see that again after all these years.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1