Unproven pitchers

Sports Guy

Benson is the one expendable on the team that has trade value in the offseason.

Schmidt is a pipe dream. I see zero chance he leaves the west coast. 75% chance he signs with the Mariners, 20% chance he resigns with the Giants, 5% chance Dodgers or Padres.

West coast guy in the last big contract of his career (most likely). . . why would he come to an east coast team that can't even win 50% of it's games????? Better plan a different option.

Overpay. That always works pretty well.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Soriano, Lee, Zito, any of those guys. Schmidt is a guys I would seriously overpay for. I think we all agree that we need at least one major FA signing to win next year or the year after. Schmidt is my guy, and I don't see how he'll be any tougher of a signing than the three guys I mentioned before. Show him the money, then make the platoon/bench pickups we've all been talking about, and we'll have a pretty good chance.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Benson is the one expendable on the team that has trade value in the offseason.

Schmidt is a pipe dream. I see zero chance he leaves the west coast. 75% chance he signs with the Mariners, 20% chance he resigns with the Giants, 5% chance Dodgers or Padres.

West coast guy in the last big contract of his career (most likely). . . why would he come to an east coast team that can't even win 50% of it's games????? Better plan a different option.

You forgot to mention he would be switching to the AL. I don't see him in an O's uniform next year either. The only reason he might come is to work with Mazzone. That is, if he values Mazzone as a PC.

If Schmoltz becomes a FA I think that the O's might be able to get him. But that's not likely to happen.

Who?

Ray closes.

Britton was a closer in the minors.

Williams is nothing to plan for next year and has never started in his pro career.

Hawkins should leave.

Byrdak is triple A material and has never started in his pro career.

Manon is a closer.

Birkins is a reliever.

Are you implying Chen should be resigned or Rodrigo will make the team next year???

You said middle relievers, and I said we have several. All the guys you mentioned are middle relievers (edit: I meant just relievers, but how important is that, anyway?).

Anyway, all the guys you listed, minus Hawkins. Add Olson, Liz, Hoey, E-Rod, then one of DCab, Penn and Loewen (whoever doesn't make the rotation). That's a lot of pitchers to choose from to fill out the bullpen.

EDIT: BTW, Birkins was a starter in AAA. There's your long reliever/spot starter. Plenty of other guys to fill bullpen spots.

You forgot to mention he would be switching to the AL. I don't see him in an O's uniform next year either. The only reason he might come is to work with Mazzone. That is, if he values Mazzone as a PC.

If Schmoltz becomes a FA I think that the O's might be able to get him. But that's not likely to happen.

I doubt they would turn down his option, but does anyone think we might be able to trade for him? If ATL thinks it's rebuilding a little, they might want to unload one of their oldest players.

You said middle relievers, and I said we have several. All the guys you mentioned are middle relievers (edit: I meant just relievers, but how important is that, anyway?).

Anyway, all the guys you listed, minus Hawkins. Add Olson, Liz, Hoey, E-Rod, then one of DCab, Penn and Loewen (whoever doesn't make the rotation). That's a lot of pitchers to choose from to fill out the bullpen.

EDIT: BTW, Birkins was a starter in AAA. There's your long reliever/spot starter. Plenty of other guys to fill bullpen spots.

Birkins hasn't proven he can consistently get players out in the majors. I like him, but he doesn't deserve a spot, he should compete for a position.

Olson might not be ready.

Relying on these two players is not really smart. I stand by that aquiring a middle reliever who can spot start is important for the offseason.

Oh, and Rodriguez has been simply awful this year. Hoey has already been promoted twice just in order to get to double A this year. Give the kid a break. Liz needs more time. All are unreasonable expectations out of spring training.

Offering more and overpaying are 2 different things...Ask Tejada.

There's a lot to like in Schmidt. But the Orioles don't have enough money to cover all the problems by overpaying (Lee, Schmidt, . . .).

I'd rather sign a reasonable 2nd tier pitcher like Vincente Padilla or Cory Lidle and upgrade the offense with a 1B and an OF.

The success of the Orioles can't be corrected with a Jason Schmidt. But there's a fighting chance of being corrected by a tide of young pitching. No need to overpay for anybody in 2007. The team just isn't ready.

Offering more and overpaying are 2 different things...Ask Tejada.
Yeah, we didn't truly offer much more for any of those guys.

With Schmidt, I'm talking make a 4/60 offer on the first day and see who matches it. Overpaying? Sure. But he'll come closer to being worth that money than Zito, Schmidt or Soriano. I'd be willing to bet money on that.

OK, not really, but just because I'm cheap.:D

There's a lot to like in Schmidt. But the Orioles don't have enough money to cover all the problems by overpaying (Lee, Schmidt, . . .).

I'd rather sign a reasonable 2nd tier pitcher like Vincente Padilla or Cory Lidle and upgrade the offense with a 1B and an OF.

The success of the Orioles can't be corrected with a Jason Schmidt. But there's a fighting chance of being corrected by a tide of young pitching. No need to overpay for anybody in 2007. The team just isn't ready.

Why would you do that? How much better are they going to be than Penn, Loewen or DCab to justify the cost?

If you have to(he can demand a trade) or decide to trade Benson because he has high value and you just want to replace him with an innings eater, that's fine...But to have those types of guys over our young, ML ready pitchers makes no sense.

And I'd rather sign Schmidt and sign good platoon guys like Catalanotto and Saenz. If you're going to spend money, spend it on Schmidt, that's all I'm saying. If Schmidt signs elsewhere, then look at guys like Lidle or Padilla. But I want no part of Lee, Soriano or Zito, no matter where Schmidt goes.

Why would you do that? How much better are they going to be than Penn, Loewen or DCab to justify the cost?

If you have to(he can demand a trade) or decide to trade Benson because he has high value and you just want to replace him with an innings eater, that's fine...But to have those types of guys over our young, ML ready pitchers makes no sense.

Oh, I agree wholly.

If I were GM, I'd move Benson. That was part of the reason for signing a Lidle. I'm thinking Lidle will cost somewhat less than what Benson makes and will provide similar numbers.

Benson nets the 1B prospect we need.

Archived