Natty Boh back in Oriole Park!

BaltimoreTerp

This is going to be a great summer. Winning baseball and winning beer.

James, we'll have to get our crew a round and raise a toast after the national anthem in a few weeks.

Oh Boy!

OH YEAH!

Fresh Boh.

Seriously, the only way this can get better; Mr. Boh on the outfield wall somewhere.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its a part of Baltimore as much as steamed crabs, Orioles, and Colts.

Well said. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the beer itself, but I'm all about the hometown history and allure.

Very happy to hear that Boh will be offered at the Yard and I will absolutely imbibe a few on Opening Day.

Not to be a negative nancy but can I ask what the fascination with this particular beer is? I mean I understand that it'll always be "connected" with the O's/Baltimore but other than that what are positives about it?

From what I've tasted of it, ain't nothing to write home about.

Just curious. And yes, I'm a bit of a beer snob.

I'm a pretty knowledgeable beer guy, I do all of the beer buying for our wine shop in north Baltimore (we have a big craft following here). And usually, I'd prefer more of a session beer, I agree...

...but, when I'm out in the sweltering Baltimore soupy heat watching a ball game at the yard, I want crisp, refreshing, lighter. IPAs are just too big, especially for a day game. Boh just hits the spot for me on a day like that.

If you want to go for something else local, craft, and not as heavy, another great baseball beer is Heavy Sea's Classic Lager (Formerly Clipper City McHenry). Rumor has it that Hugh Sisson, the brewmaster at Heavy Seas/Clipper City bought the old recipe for National Premium (a legendary Baltimore lager) and brews it to those exact specs at his brewery.

Heavy Seas classic lager is available at a few of the craft beer kiosks around Camden Yards. One of which is very close to our own section 334 in the upper deck. If anyone makes it out to a game and wants to sit up in 334 with us, I'd be glad to share a round of either HS Classic or Boh.

List of Local Beers (Breweries are based in Maryland):

Heavy Seas (Baltimore)

Flying Dog (Frederick, MD)

Bawlmer Beer (Highlandtown)

Brewer's Art (Mount Vernon)

The Raven (Baltimore)

< Soapbox > Support your local brewery! < /soapbox >

I don't get it, either. Yeah, it's cheap if you're out and about at the store and you can pick up a 6er for 6 bucks. But when you're at the stadium, a draft is gonna cost 4.50, minimum...at that point, who cares?

Yeah, it's Authentic Baltimore but is it so much more OMFGZ better than Miller? I'm not a beer snob or anything, either. I've had it, it just seems like a solid beer. I don't see the fuss. Then again, I'm not Authentic Baltimore, either.

I have counted at least three people above who've called it a 'local' beer.

I know you guys all know it's not 'local' though.

I just don't get the nostalgia. It's nostalgia for something that most who fancy it never even had it in it's heyday.

I have counted at least three people above who've called it a 'local' beer.

I know you guys all know it's not 'local' though.

I just don't get the nostalgia. It's nostalgia for something that most who fancy it never even had it in it's heyday.

Oh sweet jeebus. YES we are all aware it is not brewed in the city proper. But it WAS for a couple generations. Iron City isn't brewed in Pittsburgh anymore.

Also shockers, most of the crabs you find in Baltimore crab houses come from the Gulf and Asia.

Bottom line is, even after Boh left the city - it never did. It endured through all the generations it did. My Grandfather drank Boh, my first beer was a Boh. I genuinely like the stuff.

Boh is our beer. Founded here, brewed here for decades and now it is back. Draft is back in the bars, and finally back at the ballpark.

Boh and the Orioles became synonymous during the glory days of the team, drink and the city. SO please forgive us for wanting to tap into that just a little bit.

May not be brewed here, but go west of DC South of Annapolis and north of York and you can't find it.

a draft is gonna cost 4.50, minimum

I've had it, it just seems like a solid beer.

That's perfectly good enough for me. With Budweiser, Miller's, etc costing around $7.50 per draft, a solid draft beer for, let's say, around 5 bucks is reason enough to celebrate!

I don't get it, either. Yeah, it's cheap if you're out and about at the store and you can pick up a 6er for 6 bucks. But when you're at the stadium, a draft is gonna cost 4.50, minimum...at that point, who cares?

Yeah, it's Authentic Baltimore but is it so much more OMFGZ better than Miller? I'm not a beer snob or anything, either. I've had it, it just seems like a solid beer. I don't see the fuss. Then again, I'm not Authentic Baltimore, either.

It is better than Miller in my opinion.

Miller has no taste whatsoever, same with Bud Light. Boh has a nice bitterness to it. It actually tastes like beer!

Boh on draft tastes so much better than out of the can. The cans are usually too cold and Boh out of the draft definitely has more flavor. Honestly, it almost tastes more like a Yuengling out of the draft.

Boh and the Orioles became synonymous during the glory days of the team, drink and the city. SO please forgive us for wanting to tap into that just a little bit.

I've met you. You're what, 30? I'm 36, and I feel totally disconnected to that era. I didn't live it.

I'm all for nostalgia. I collect Transformers and 80's skateboards because it reminds me of my youth. The difference there though was that I lived through that stuff. Natty Boh hasn't ever been a part of my life.

Good on you though if this makes you happy. I just don't personally get it.

That's not a way to prove a point!

The point is this. Most cheap beer has no effing taste whatsoever. Boh actually tastes good. It is solid. It is an everyday drinker. It has a clean finish with no massive aftertaste.

Miller, Bud and Coors are just expensive water with bad commercials.

At the end of the day, if you don't get it - then don't get it.

:beerchug1:

It's not like the choice here is Bud Light for $3 and Boh for $5. It's Boh for 5 and Bud for 6 or 7 or 8 or whatever it is now. C'mon, this is no contest.

McLovin, I never experienced the glory days of the Birds but I feel connected to it. Local connections and allegiances are passed down. I mean the beer was made by the owner of the team. In fact, Hoffberger was the majority owner for the entirety of what would be considered the golden age of the Orioles (65-79).

Archived