Natty Boh back in Oriole Park!

BaltimoreTerp

Oh sweet jeebus. YES we are all aware it is not brewed in the city proper. But it WAS for a couple generations. Iron City isn't brewed in Pittsburgh anymore.

Also shockers, most of the crabs you find in Baltimore crab houses come from the Gulf and Asia.

Bottom line is, even after Boh left the city - it never did. It endured through all the generations it did. My Grandfather drank Boh, my first beer was a Boh. I genuinely like the stuff.

Boh is our beer. Founded here, brewed here for decades and now it is back. Draft is back in the bars, and finally back at the ballpark.

Boh and the Orioles became synonymous during the glory days of the team, drink and the city. SO please forgive us for wanting to tap into that just a little bit.

May not be brewed here, but go west of DC South of Annapolis and north of York and you can't find it.

To echo James' sentiment, it may not be brewed here anymore, but that hasn't stopped this guy from keeping an apartment in Baltimore...

brewers-hill-neighborhood-baltimore.jpg

boh.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My Dad will get it.

I kinda get it but I'm not really a big drinker... I'm sure whomever distributes Natty Boh will be very happy with this decision, though.

I believe that would be Pabst.

I'm sure whomever distributes Natty Boh will be very happy with this decision, though.

F.P. Winner distributes Natty Boh in Maryland.

Since it went on draft, they've been blowing through tons of kegs every week. It's absolutely en fuego right now.

There's no need to be a beer snob. Be a beer dork instead.

Its Natty Boh man. Tradition (for the city as much as the O's). Aren't you from California? Maybe you don't have memories of it like the rest of us do.

There's always gotta be one who simply can't enjoy things. Be happy for the rest of us, and if you can't do that, go away. I swear you are the Shack redux.

Well, currently I live in CA but I lived in and grew up in MD for, oh, about the first 25-or-so years of my life.

But if drinking certain beers and being happy about it's return to the O's is what makes others happy so be it. Different strokes for different folks.

Was just asking why it's so "popular." No need to be insulting.

In defense of Boh during a Washington Post blind taste-test of cheap beer, defined as beer you can get a 6 pack for no more than 6 bucks, Boh was rated the best.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/goingoutgurus/2009/06/taste_test_cheap_domestic_cans.html

Beating out

Miller High Life

Pabst

Bud Light

Schlitz

Schaffer

My how times have changed. We had a similar blind taste testing when I was in college... but we did it for beers that you could get a 6 pack of for less than $1.50.

(And the surprise winner was the generic Kroger grocery store brand in the bright yellow can that just said "BEER" on it).

I don't get it, either. Yeah, it's cheap if you're out and about at the store and you can pick up a 6er for 6 bucks. But when you're at the stadium, a draft is gonna cost 4.50, minimum...at that point, who cares?

Yeah, it's Authentic Baltimore but is it so much more OMFGZ better than Miller? I'm not a beer snob or anything, either. I've had it, it just seems like a solid beer. I don't see the fuss. Then again, I'm not Authentic Baltimore, either.

Next you're going to tell us you don't "get" steamed crabs... Let me guess, you're more of a crabcake kinda guy :rolleyes:

:D

< Soapbox > Support your local brewery! < /soapbox >

Oh believe me I support local breweries. Flying Dog is good and while it's somewhat "local" Dogfish is really good.

As for my local breweries, both Hangar 24 and Stone get lots of my support, much to the chagrin of my liver.

And I was just asking about the appeal of Natty. Didn't grow up in the 60's/70's when it was really linked to the O's and winning and find the taste (just my personal opinion) to be on par with all the other "lite" beers on the market.

Oh believe me I support local breweries. Flying Dog is good and while it's somewhat "local" Dogfish is really good.

As for my local breweries, both Hangar 24 and Stone get lots of my support, much to the chagrin of my liver.

And I was just asking about the appeal of Natty. Didn't grow up in the 60's/70's when it was really linked to the O's and winning and find the taste (just my personal opinion) to be on par with all the other "lite" beers on the market.

I have Stone's Pale Ale, IPA, Arrogant Bastard, and Ruination on the shelves here. Great brewery, albiet expensive out here (Their regular line is 12 bucks a 6 pack, their Arrogant and Ruination are almost 16 bucks a 6 pack)

I have Stone's Pale Ale, IPA, Arrogant Bastard, and Ruination on the shelves here. Great brewery, albiet expensive out here (Their regular line is 12 bucks a 6 pack, their Arrogant and Ruination are almost 16 bucks a 6 pack)

Yeah it's a bit pricey but boy is it good. Their IPA is my absolute fav with both the Arrogant Bastard and Ruination coming in a close second.

Just found out too that our local Costco is stocking cases of their IPA and you can bet as soon as I get home I'm getting multiple cases. It'll probably be only around a $1 per beer at Costco. One of the perks of living in a state that sells booze in grocery stores.

But I've said in a few other threads, that if you take their free brewery tour, afterwards they give you 2-3 free beers. If you're ever in So-Cal make sure you hit up their brewery. Wish it was closer to my house or else I'd quit my job and work there in a heartbeat.

Yeah it's a bit pricey but boy is it good. Their IPA is my absolute fav with both the Arrogant Bastard and Ruination coming in a close second.

Just found out too that our local Costco is stocking cases of their IPA and you can bet as soon as I get home I'm getting multiple cases. It'll probably be only around a $1 per beer at Costco. One of the perks of living in a state that sells booze in grocery stores.

But I've said in a few other threads, that if you take their free brewery tour, afterwards they give you 2-3 free beers. If you're ever in So-Cal make sure you hit up their brewery. Wish it was closer to my house or else I'd quit my job and work there in a heartbeat.

I aspire to live in San Diego one day, so I'll have plenty of access to cheap Stone, I'm sure.

Since I have sat at Memorial Stadium and had a "few" Natty Boh's I'm glad to see it's back. Brings back some good memories. Speaking of Memories....well that's another story for another day.

I really don't care where it's brewed now. As long as it isn't a bathtub. And I'd take 5 bucks over 7 or 8 any day.

I also used to collect beer cans and as a result have tasted many, many beers, ales, pilsners, stouts, lagers, etc. Natty Boh isn't bad for it's price range and it does taste like beer without assaulting your taste buds like some of the cheaper beers.

Overall it's a great idea to bring it back, a small link to the glory days. How can that hurt?

I have counted at least three people above who've called it a 'local' beer.

I know you guys all know it's not 'local' though.

I just don't get the nostalgia. It's nostalgia for something that most who fancy it never even had it in it's heyday.

In my opinion, people can be nostalgic about something whether they've personally experienced it or not. That's the funny thing about nostalgia.

It'd be like begrudging someone of wearing the classic 1966-1974 cartoon bird cap just because they weren't alive when the team actually wore it. Perhaps the younger generation simply want to be a part of something that their parents and grandparents experienced?

I'm really happy to read this! Can't wait to be in OPACY, having some Boog's and a Natty Boh! I made some pit beef at home over the late fall/early winter out on our grill, and that with a cold Natty Boh (I live outside Philly, but my local beer distributor carries Natty Boh!) is just perfect!

There is just that connection with a local brew and the ball club. The year Citizens Bank Park opened up here, the one stand sold Ballantine (I believe owned now by the same folks who brew Natty Boh and Pabst) and it just took my father back to Shibe Park.

In fact, when we were at the game there together, he said me having a Ballantine there looked like himself about 50 years before at the ballpark!

Yes, there are premium beers, I am fond of different kinds of Porters and some more expensive beer, but there's just something about having the traditional beer at the park.

Another example: the second time I went to Wrigley Field, I noticed that the vendors going through the stands had always sold out of Old Style (their traditional beer), but always had plenty of Bud or Miller in their ice bins.

So this season, I'm definitely looking forward to enjoying a cold Natty Boh at the ballpark!

Archived