Natty Boh back in Oriole Park!

BaltimoreTerp

Its def a yuppie ddrinking (not saying you are one). But be careful, I am 29 am my best friend has had a Boh tattoo since he was 18. Boh was down and out in the late 90s. I am glad everyone is drinking it enough for it to be at the Yard this summer!

My grandfather drank it, I discovered it in high school, never looked back in college.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're wrong on this one. The Raven is Heavy Seas Marzen Lager aka Balto Marz Hon. Same exact recipe just a different label. Next time you go to an O's game on a Saturday hit up a brew tour at Clipper City before hand. Hugh will tell you himself. I also have a friend that works for Clipper City and he's brewed "The Raven". Trust me it's the same beer.

I am stunned your boy works there as a brewer with only homebrew experience. Its pretty awesome.

In a way they did. They are still Clipper City Brewing Company. It's just their beers are all "Heavy Seas" beers. Same as Boston Brewing Company making Sam Adams.

Is this thread making anyone else thirsty?

I am so hitting Fraziers after work today. I would go now, but beer at lunch when you have to teach is a bad thing. This isn't the 50's anymore.

I am stunned your boy works there as a brewer with only homebrew experience. Its pretty awesome.

Yeah it's a sweet gig. We've gotten to go on a few private tours while he's brewing and just watch and observe and of course sample a few beers as well!:new_beer:

Yeah it's a sweet gig. We've gotten to go on a few private tours while he's brewing and just watch and observe and of course sample a few beers as well!:new_beer:

You need to hook a brotha up! Do they have a store you can walk in and look around? Or is it by appointment/tours only?

You're wrong on this one. The Raven is Heavy Seas Marzen Lager aka Balto Marz Hon. Same exact recipe just a different label. Next time you go to an O's game on a Saturday hit up a brew tour at Clipper City before hand. Hugh will tell you himself. I also have a friend that works for Clipper City and he's brewed "The Raven". Trust me it's the same beer.

Are we talking about different beers? I am confused.

I am talking about The Raven Special Lager:

http://www.ravenbeer.com/home.html

And on RateBeer.com they list The Raven Special Lager as a Vienna -- not a Marzen.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/raven-special-lager/2813/

But then I guess a Vienna is similar to a Marzen/Octoberfest?

You need to hook a brotha up! Do they have a store you can walk in and look around? Or is it by appointment/tours only?

http://www.hsbeer.com/events/brewery-tours The official tours are on Saturdays, they prefer that you sign up in advanced so they have an idea of how many people are coming for each tour, but I don't think they will turn you away if you just "pop in". The tours have gotten much popular and as a result they aren't as generous with the pours. 5 bucks gives you 5-6 sample tickets that you can use. I remember when the tour used to be free and you could drink as much as you wanted!!! I'm pretty sure you can also call/request a private tour as well although I'm not sure if you have to have so many people to do that. The "store" part is right there as well it's just kind of an office area where you can buy beer, shirts, etc. We went and did a tour there a few hour's before Justin's wedding, that was a great day! Here's a picture from out front the brewery.

Wed_2.JPG

Are we talking about different beers? I am confused.

I am talking about The Raven Special Lager:

http://www.ravenbeer.com/home.html

And on RateBeer.com they list The Raven Special Lager as a Vienna -- not a Marzen.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/raven-special-lager/2813/

But then I guess a Vienna is similar to a Marzen/Octoberfest?

No that's the beer. I wouldn't get too caught up with the naming they have for these. Vienna is pretty much a Marzen/Octoberfest. Not sure why they aren't called the same, but I can assure you they are the same beer. Get a couple of bottles of each and do a blind taste test, you shouldn't be able to tell/taste the difference.

I've met you. You're what, 30? I'm 36, and I feel totally disconnected to that era. I didn't live it.

I'm all for nostalgia. I collect Transformers and 80's skateboards because it reminds me of my youth. The difference there though was that I lived through that stuff. Natty Boh hasn't ever been a part of my life.

Good on you though if this makes you happy. I just don't personally get it.

There is no time like opening day 2011! :beerchug1:

I'm 29 and I get it. Boh draft is actually decent. Far better then anything light. Different, but comparable to Budweiser. The canned varieties are usually terrible. It just doesn't age well. Also possible Pabst puts no effort into quality canning or getting to the store quickly and with minimal temperature changes.

Personally I would love to see it brewed right in the warehouse. Maybe have a Premium version made just to commemorate the move back to The Land of Pleasant Living. If only I were a billionaire tyrant...

If you have seen this logo then I probably kicked you at the indoor soccer place by the airport.

HBSC.JPG

The Raven special lager and Heavy Seas Marzen are totally different beers.

The Raven beer was created by Steve Demczuk and owned by his LLC Baltimore Beer Works. They contract brew through Heavy Seas, but that's as far as it goes. It even has a different distributor locally. (I work with one of the original partners from Baltimore Beer Works, and Steve is a friend of our store).

Heavy Seas Marzen used to be Clipper City Balti Marz Hon, until Hugh took the beer national and streamlined the brand:

Clipper City Pale and Gold ales became Heavy Seas Pale and Gold.

McHenry became Heavy Seas Classic Lager.

Baltimarz Hon Became Heavy Seas Marzen.

Hope that clears it up.

EDIT: Duffman seems pretty sure. I'm going to get to the bottom of it.

Archived