Brian Roberts misses workout with back spasms

SammyBirdland

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roberts has got to suck it up and learn to slide feet first... those head first slides are just so dangerous for someone with potential back issues. Potential being an understatement...

Is it stupid of me to wonder why he would be sliding going into first base in a Spring Training game? I mean who cares if he gets on. Just run hard and run through the bag!!!

Is it stupid of me to wonder why he would be sliding going into first base in a Spring Training game? I mean who cares if he gets on. Just run hard and run through the bag!!!

If thats how he plays than thats how he plays. Many a player has hurt himself playing at half speed or doing things that are outside of their normal motion. Theres risks no matter what.

He plays the game, with his back he will always be missing some time here and there.

I can't help but freak out a little bit about this. Hopefully he doesn't miss any significant time, but I don't believe him when he says he's all better.

He is not all better. Britt says that she expects this all year.

Remember you are talking about the same guy who got a concussion by hitting himself in the head with a bat. ;)

If I were a major league manager, I'd seriously consider fining people for sliding into first base. I don't understand the point of doing it. I guess if the first baseman is going to catch the ball well in front of the bag and physically tag you instead of walking it to the bag, that might be a scenario where you'd do it. Nine times out of ten, though, you run to the bag, because you're trying to beat the first baseman getting there and he only has to touch the base, not tag you. It's been timed, and running is faster than a slide. You only slide to avoid a tag -- which is a scenario that doesn't really apply at first base. Not sliding into first is something you learn in little league.

If this is how Roberts injured himself, it's one of the rare circumstances where I'd say an injury is someone's own fault.

I do feel for him, though -- I get back spasms and they are not fun.

Archived